Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #26
hair10

Drives: 2SS - Transformer Edition
OK, had the guy at the sound place work on it today. Called me up around noon and I was hoping he had it done but nope... he had locked the keys in the car (fell out of his pocket while he was under the dash). Thank you OnStar!

Anyway, called back a few hours later to tell me there was no way to hook the RideTones system to the lock/unlock signal. Told me why at the time but it's been a few hours. It made sense at the time but I'll be darned if I remember it now. But he had an idea. He noticed that the lights flashed when the lock/unlock button was pushed and he could tap into the amber lights. The only problem was that it would just be a single event so there would only be one sound available (I originally had two programmed, one for lock and one for unlock). OK, I said, that'll be fine. Do it.

Picked up the car and it worked! But of course, like everything I try to do I found a problem a minute later. I'm at a corner a few blocks away with the right hand turn signal on (he installed it on the passenger side) and the car is making sounds over and over again. Ack! The amber light is also the turn signal!! Drove back to the shop and talked to the installer again. He's giving it some thought and going to call me back.

There's a button on the unit itself (mounted in the glove box) to turn it off and on. I just don't have it on right now so that my car isn't "transforming" every time I turn right! It works... sorta. Hopefully he'll figure something out.

Sorry about the poor video quality. By the time I got home it was dark so this was taken in my garage with my Palm Pre.

hair10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #27
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
Sweet, that's pretty cool. If Justin or Will get it on their cars I am going to hack it while they are not paying attention. Make it say..."Who's The Bitch Now"
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #28
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua

Drives: 2SS Aqua
hair10
I Think I found the wires that need to be tapped into for the doors Lock signal and Unlock Signal that way you can play two different sounds.
if you look at the wiring found in this link

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24704

scroll down until you see
Power Lock
and
Power Unlock
it tells you the wire color and the location of the connector to tap.
If you print this out and take it to your install Guy it might help him.
Tell us how it works for ya.
--
Where did you mount the speaker?
and
Where did you mount the control box?
pretty cool Audible turn signals.
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #29
hair10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua View Post
hair10
I Think I found the wires that need to be tapped into for the doors Lock signal and Unlock Signal that way you can play two different sounds.
if you look at the wiring found in this link

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24704

scroll down until you see
Power Lock
and
Power Unlock
it tells you the wire color and the location of the connector to tap.
Tell us how it works for ya.
--
Cool, I'll check into it. Thanks!

Quote:
Where did you mount the speaker?
Within the front bumper. Removing the 'wall' in front of the front tire gave him access to the open space under the bumper. No room in that engine compartment!

Quote:
Where did you mount the control box?
On the back of the glove box. I wanted it completely out of sight.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #30
hair10

After thinking about it for a bit, I dunno if "Power Lock" and "Unlock" are great ideas. Wouldn't it go off every time the car doors were locked? Which includes putting it into gear?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #31
luckytii7

Drives: In the market
With the setup you have now you could use a ignition triggered relay. mention to the installer that it would work the same as a remote start anti-grind relay. any installer should pick up on what your talking about. that way any time the ignition is on that circuit is disconnected
luckytii7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #32
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua

Drives: 2SS Aqua
Yea your right.
Sorry my idea wasn’t any better then the audible turn signals.
Ok two other Ideas.
First
Read this thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...factory+remote
they talk about turning off the door locking.

And since you brought this up I previously made my decision.
Not at all fond of the Idea but here it is ----Carrying a second remote.
Here is what I decided on.

http://www.lightobject.com/12Ch-RF-W...x-Kit-P45.aspx

It was $33.61 shipped and received it in two days.
I picked the 12 channel version.
8 for ridetones. And that will leave me 4 for lights or something.

The do have less channels if you only want one or two sounds.

Cause you know there will be times when any noise wont be appropriate (coming home late and not wanting to wake the neighbor hood when I lock the door)or I might just get tired of it always talking to me.
I will keep looking for the schematics to the factory remote. They got to be there some where.
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #33
zerox

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Bumblebee
Do you have a link to the exact setup you bought, that is awesome
Old 03-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #34
hair10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytii7 View Post
With the setup you have now you could use a ignition triggered relay. mention to the installer that it would work the same as a remote start anti-grind relay. any installer should pick up on what your talking about. that way any time the ignition is on that circuit is disconnected
Yeah, a friend and I were just talking about that yesterday.

Last edited by hair10; 03-26-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #35
hair10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua View Post
Yea your right.
Sorry my idea wasn’t any better then the audible turn signals.
Ok two other Ideas.
First
Read this thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...factory+remote
they talk about turning off the door locking.
I want the door locking on (I know it can be turned off in the control center). I've got kids and I just feel safer with it on (fell out of a moving car myself when I was a kid ).

Quote:
Cause you know there will be times when any noise wont be appropriate (coming home late and not wanting to wake the neighbor hood when I lock the door)or I might just get tired of it always talking to me.
I will keep looking for the schematics to the factory remote.
Yeah, which is why I'm glad the RideTones has an "on/off" button on the unit.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #36
hair10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerox View Post
Do you have a link to the exact setup you bought, that is awesome
Yep, here it is. Looks like it's only $35 with shipping now... even cheaper than when I bought it.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #37
nwotank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Rally Yellow
any updates/ details on how the installer got this done? i've ordered mine and want to provide all the details to the installer so they can get it done right the first time
nwotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #38
hair10

He couldn't tie it into the remote lock/unlock so he tied it to the amber lights up front (since the ligts flash when the lock/unlock buttons are pushed). What he forgot about is that those lights also come on with the turn signal.

I need to take it back and have him install a relay switch and tie it into the ignition or interior accessories system (as luckytii7 said above) so that the system is disabled when the car is actually running.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #39
nwotank

where do you get this relay switch? is it something the audio installers typically have?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #40
hair10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwotank View Post
where do you get this relay switch? is it something the audio installers typically have?
Yeah, that should be no biggie.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #41
nwotank

awesome, i'm having my ride tones arriving tomorrow, i'm getting a sub installed at the same time as the ride tones so hopefully it all goes smoothly
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #42
nwotank

Any luck on this? My installer tried for two days to get this done with no luck he even tried to use a separate aftermarket alarm. He said the wiring to lock and unlock was a five wire system that is new. He tried building relays to get the signal to the unit but finally gave up.any help would be appreciated
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #43
hair10

Quote:
Any luck on this? My installer tried for two days to get this done with no luck he even tried to use a separate aftermarket alarm. He said the wiring to lock and unlock was a five wire system that is new. He tried building relays to get the signal to the unit but finally gave up.any help would be appreciated
Like I said earlier in the thread, my installer couldn't get it to work with the lock/unlock either. He tied it to the amber lights up front as they flash when locking and unlocking. However, that's also the turn signal so I go back in on Thursday to have him install a relay to the ignition circuit. That way the RideTones system will be "off" when the car is on.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #44
nwotank

thats a pretty good plan i don't think my installer really picked up on this, he kept trying to tie it to lock and unlock and just got frustrated with it. I'm taking it to a different installer with the same game plan you have and hopefully it will work
Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #45
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
I'm not sure why they couldnt get it to work with the lock/unlock circuits. that's odd
Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #46
nwotank

the unit requires a positive or negative input, they told me the camaro sends a signal with both, and the voltage was also weird, it kept a signal going to it, anyway they tried all these relays and diodes, and even an aftermarket alarm and couldn't get it. so we'll see if the connection to the lights with the ignition relay will work
Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #47
hair10

Had a relay circuit put in last Thursday and everything works just fine now... it plays the sound on the lock & unlock (when the amber lights flash) but the circuit is broken when the car is running (so it doesn't go off when I use the turn signal).

About $40 for the RideTones kit (when I bouht it) and $75 for installation. Not bad for a rather unique mod.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #48
nwotank

do you get two separate sounds? i had mine put in but it uses manual lock and unlock and a different one for ignition
Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #49
nwotank

my installer was able to make 4 of the sounds work, one when you open the trunk with the remote, one when the car starts up, one when the car is turned off, and manual lock and unlock in the dash. when you close the trunk it also makes a sound. They charged a lot more for installation though. I would like the remote lock and unlock to work, but i also like making it go off when i'm driving around.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #50
hair10

Quote:
do you get two separate sounds? i had mine put in but it uses manual lock and unlock and a different one for ignition
I just had the one for the lights. Didn't tie it to the ignition.