Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery All Camaro related pictures, videos and other assorted media.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #176
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Makes me so proud.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #177
Shellhead

Drives: formerly 1999 T/A WS6
Thumbs up Amen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Ahhhhh.......black lake (Milford Proving Ground) in the winter! (where the video was shot, I believe......)

Some of you may recall that I spoke about the Camaro's performance in the snow last year right after I got "Thor."

He had a set of Pirelli ice and snow tires put on him prior to me picking him up.......I drove to the airport and parked him -- only to come back to 8 inches of snow on the ground - and it was still coming down.......

I, too, was somewhat wary -- but even on I-94 (which had not seen a plow yet) - -he handled incredibly well. No - -not like a 4wd Avalanche or Silverado - but very controllable as long as I drove sensibly..... When I got home, the Driveway had not been touched - and he went right up the driveway......

The key to all of this:

Do NOT take an SS out in the snow -- if the roads are covered -- unless you put all-seasons or snow tires on your Camaro. The tires on the SS are meant for performance -- not driving in snow.

Remember that a Camaro is low to the ground -- if you drive into deep snow, you ARE going to eventually pile snow under the car -- losing traction......
Scott is absolutely right!! I drove a '99 Trans Am WS6 for 8 years as my daily driver in Michigan. 168k miles later, I only got stuck in the snow once (and that was when I was in 6+ inches parked at the bottom of a steep hill - which was my mistake). Some times I didn't get stuck? Driving from Macomb to Howell in the middle of the night in a blizzard. Driving from the west side of Michigan to the East side of Michigan in a blizzard. For *8* years. Two things I did - added about 100 lbs of weight to the back, and used all season tires exclusively. When I get a 5th gen, it's getting snow tires and ballast as well - but the point is, if you LEARN how, you can drive these cars in the snow. It won't be 4 wheel drive, but it will get you there safe - if YOU know how to drive it. The only reservation I'd even have about a 5th gen is when the Z28 comes out - it may have so much torque that snow tires wouldn't help it......but then again......any comment, Scott?
Shellhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #178
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdnanHfuda View Post
snow isnt as bad as everyone says
For those of who can drive for sure. I used to drive a 77 Trans Am, 2800 Stall 60's out back, built engine in the snow all the time. Never had any problems unless it got to deep. Fing ground clearance. Now ice, is a whole diff story
Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #179
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I think a big difference is the near 50/50 weight distribution in these cars. I have made it through the winter so far without any ballast in the trunk. LOL But I am a firm believer in snow tires for the winter as well.

If anyone is aware of the testing that was done on this vehicle before production, they know if was put through very extreme winter driving tests. I believe it was GM who had video's of the places the Camaro was taken and tested.

Most anything can be driven in the winter with a little bit of common sense and respect for the weather conditions!

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #180
camarogolfguy
Camarogolfguy

Drives: 2012 ssrs
Anyone know where this clip was filmed?
camarogolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #181
kjnylin

Drives: 2LT/RS Black, Polished 20's
I enjoy my Camaro every Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdnanHfuda View Post
how is it a poor camaro? way i see it is, its a car even though it is a highly loved one. pampering it and keeping it hidden is something i cant comprehend unless your planning to keep the car simply to sell it. i say drive it through all the snow and grime you want. repairs can be made, and washes can be given
I bought my Camaro to use it, not hide it. It is a daily driver. 9000 miles so far and it polishes up real nice after few days of rain, snow and grit. Yeah, some sandblasting on the front, a couple rock chips. You have to look close for that though. I am still getting thumbs up and "nice car" comments. I think they will be building these cars for awhile. It can be replaced.

Order accepted by GM, 6/15/2009
Picked up at dealer 8/21/2009
kjnylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #182
george
SS/RS Fan

Drives: Camaro SS/RS & BMW M3/E92
Anybody know what snow tires/wheels fit on the new ss with the barbells on the brakes?
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #183
dragon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Anybody know what snow tires/wheels fit on the new ss with the barbells on the brakes?
george, if you go to www.tirerack.com you can put together a wheel and tire package there. For the SS, it's going to be expensive, but they give you about 3 different rims to choose from. I believe the smallest you can go with the "barbells" is 19".

They will ship right to your door...mounted, balanced, new lug nuts...the works and customer service is excellent as well!

If you decide not to order from them, at least it will give you an idea what you're looking at/for.

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #184
rickerda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
It's not the car, it's the tires
rickerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #185
george
SS/RS Fan

Drives: Camaro SS/RS & BMW M3/E92
Thanks Dragon 22
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #186
dragon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Thanks Dragon 22
No problem george. I hope you find what you're looking for. I am quite happy with the set I ordered for my 2LT, and I hope you can find something for your SS through them.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #187
16yearoldcamarodriver
Advanced Senior Member

Drives: Mercedes ML350 '06
I like their attempt at showing that the car handles well in the snow, but I wasn't convinced by the video, there was nothing there. I'm sure the car does handle well though...

16yearoldcamarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #188
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Drives: The Black Knight
I used to drive an old 76 Pontiac Grand Prix in heavy snows with very little problems. A little extra weight in the trunk, all season tires and proper driving techniques is all that is needed in any rear wheel drive vehicles.

Oh, and not to mention we have great features now like StabiliTrak and Traction Control so there should be no excuse why our Camaros should not be able to handle these kind of conditions.

[COLOR=seagreen]Mods Installed:
Backup sensors
American Racing Rogue Wheels
AAC LED Interior Light Kit

Ordered:
BlingLights Fog Light Kit
AAC Footwell Ambient Lighting Kit
Complete Lamp Protection Kit
(Smoked Finish)
PitchBlack is offline   Reply With Quote