Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Ride Tech
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
JBorr

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Thumbs down ACS ZL1 Replica Extractor Hood Insert - Review - FAILED

I've recently bought an ACS ZL1 Replica Extractor Hood Insert #33-4-095 :: 2010-2013 Camaro and I am completely dissatisfied with the product.

One of the grill inserts was too small for the vents. I had to replace the grill material in order to make the installation work.

The surface finish on the product was very bad and required extensive body work and filler to get a decent finish.

Leaving the worst for the end, the hood insert does not match the contour of the stock hood. On either side of the vents I get a gap of more than 3/16". The profile of the insert is way off. I'd also like to add that the installation template is way off, the bolt hole locations are about .5" off from where they should be in order to get a correct fitment.

The only way I can make this insert work on my hood is to deform/flare out the aluminum sheet metal in the problem area in order to close the gap. This is unacceptable.

I am extremely mad at this situation because now I've destroyed my stock hood. There is no way to check or know if the insert has the correct profile until you've cut the holes and huge rectangular opening on the hood at which point you've scrapped a hood worth more than 1,000 dollars.

This was not a cheap insert by any means and I've basically been ripped off by ACS.
JBorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
Have you contacted ACS about this? I'm sure they will work with you to get it resolved. Many people on here have purchased this insert and had no issues.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
You should have checked the DIY section of this site. You can buy OEM extractors from Chevy.
Attached Images

Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
spike III
COTW 6/25/12

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro

Just finished mine a few days ago. Had a couple problems but called ACS talked to me right away. Great feed back from them on the problems. Was told to call back as much as needed. I have 3 different pieces of there products & am well satisfied with them all. With fiber glass some times you have to do a little more work on non finished products.
As for the grates they are bent. But you still have to bend them to form fit them. You might be able to order the insert all done to your liking & pay an extra $300. But then you don't get the pleasure of doing it your self.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I thought ACS makes the ZL1 extractor to fit the OEM ZL1 hood. Then they make another one the T4 I believe to be used on non ZL1 hoods. Correct me if I am wrong.
GetYouOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
That is correct, the OP might have purchased the wrong one.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: 2014 - AGM - Z/28 - #181 - No A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYouOne View Post
I thought ACS makes the ZL1 extractor to fit the OEM ZL1 hood. Then they make another one the T4 I believe to be used on non ZL1 hoods. Correct me if I am wrong.
Correction granted, your wrong. The OP made a correct purchase. Sucks he is going through some issues. Hopefully it was not a matter of not measuring twice cut once. If he can prove to ACS that the template was wrong or the insert truly manufactured correct he might get a new hood. Otherwise, he may have chalk this one up, and take it to a body shop next time.
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Wow you used your 1st post on C5 to slam a vender, think maybe you should have called ACS first before you go public.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
spike III
COTW 6/25/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYouOne View Post
You are wrong ACS makes the TL1 Hood Ports for Camaro SS RS LS OEM Aluminum Hood. Part Number 33-4-095. It looks like the ZL1. Post no#4 in the pic on my sig. is the ACS TL1 heat extractor.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
spike III
COTW 6/25/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Wow you used your 1st post on C5 to slam a vender, think maybe you should have called ACS first before you go public.

+1
Old 06-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #11
spike III
COTW 6/25/12

Check the pics on my build pages 8&9. I just finished mine last week.

Just click on my signature.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #12
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: '13 Camaro and '97 Wrangler
I had an issue with ACS as well, they helped rectify the problem but it was a pain in the butt to get everything resolved. They left a very bad taste in my mouth and just shook me the wrong way, they've even ignored me when asking about other products I was interested in.

I love their end product and recommend it to anyone, but the owner there is not customer friendly, specifically when they make mistakes on their end.

Try to contact ACS and see if you can work it out. I doubt you'll get much from them but give it a shot!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #13
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
Ive never had a problem with them...ive got many of their pieces and fit and finish was great...v6 and v8 splitters, rocker add ons and rear add ons all came very well prepped and primed, required minimal sanding to smooth and fit perfectly...i also had their zl1 style hood vent and it fit fine and the template worked well for me...maybe contact them as it might have been a one off product...they responded to any questions i had...
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #14
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Weird, when I had my TL-1 insert I really liked it. had no problems with it at all. I would get in contact with them, im sure they'll help you out.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
ACS Composite

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Hi Jborr,

I am sorry you are disappointed with the product, wish i can help you with the matter.

If you contact us, I will expedite a set of new grill inserts for you and at least help you with this issue. Our email is info@acscomposite.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBorr View Post
I've recently bought an ACS ZL1 Replica Extractor Hood Insert #33-4-095 :: 2010-2013 Camaro and I am completely dissatisfied with the product.

One of the grill inserts was too small for the vents. I had to replace the grill material in order to make the installation work.

The surface finish on the product was very bad and required extensive body work and filler to get a decent finish.

Leaving the worst for the end, the hood insert does not match the contour of the stock hood. On either side of the vents I get a gap of more than 3/16". The profile of the insert is way off. I'd also like to add that the installation template is way off, the bolt hole locations are about .5" off from where they should be in order to get a correct fitment.

The only way I can make this insert work on my hood is to deform/flare out the aluminum sheet metal in the problem area in order to close the gap. This is unacceptable.

I am extremely mad at this situation because now I've destroyed my stock hood. There is no way to check or know if the insert has the correct profile until you've cut the holes and huge rectangular opening on the hood at which point you've scrapped a hood worth more than 1,000 dollars.

This was not a cheap insert by any means and I've basically been ripped off by ACS.
ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #16
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

No pics and you didn't give them a shot to fix the "issue"? Your first post is to bash a company who offers great service??? I call BS >:(
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #17
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
I was one of the early buyers, mine has been on my car for 2 1/2 years. I installed it myself with no problems. I contacted them with my questions I had before installation and they got right back to me. I did study the instructions until I knew them by heart... I was missing a bolt for the water deflector and when I contacted them they sent me the entire hardware package. Including the wire mesh inserts.
ACS will do what it takes to satisfy you, you just need to ask...
Attached Images

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #18
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

^ Yep I just finished putting on ACS splitter, Z wing and wicker bill, and hood liner on Pumpkin. Small little issues along the way. No trouble getting after sales support from ACS.

Attached Images

Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #19
chevyboy01438

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I just installed my insert last week. Everything lined up perfectly. Only thing i don't like, was the adhesive. One side of the insert sticks up higher than the other. As for the grills, i had to do a little bending on them but they fit great. Just curious, if all your bolt holes were off by .5 inch, sounds maybe like you didnt have the template in place correctly. Which then would make since to blame ACS as they incorrectly installed there product
Mods: CAI, Borla Atak catback, Magnaflow x-pipe, Stainless Power catted Long Tubes, Vmax ported throttle body, custom made catch can, SCT tuner from Jannetty racing, heritage grill, SS lower grill, TL1 scoop, cree plasma fog lights, 3D Carbon fender vents, Anvil Spoiler, RPI Splitter,.......

Joe
chevyboy01438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #20
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have the ACS insert for the ZL1 hood everything was perfect.
GetYouOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #21
JBorr

Thanks for the comments

Hey guys I really appreciate the comments (good and bad). I have contacted Phastek to see if they can grant some advice on how to salvage the hood installation. Let's see if Phastek and/or ACS come through.

Since my first post we did flare out the perimeter of the cutout on the hood and greatly improved the gap between the hood and insert but we still have a lot gap issues.

My case and point here is that the hood insert should be dead nuts and should not require the extensive rework we are having to do. Especially considering that the price of the insert is more than 580 bucks (not cheap by any means).

I bet that some of the inserts they make go on without issues but I had the bad luck to receive and outlier insert that should have been caught and scrapped by the ACS quality department.

I also want to point out that the installation has been done by an extremely experienced hot rod builder and myself. We've been following the instructions to the letter and still encountered all these issues.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Can you post some photos of the gaps. I know some of us had some minor gaps (I had a early build) once my insert was on right (no glue) mine was almost perfect.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #23
JBorr

Yes I'll upload pictures this afternoon after work. I've provided the pictures to Phastek and ACS and I am waiting on a response.

Hope I can salvage the installation.

But even if I can salvage the installation this experience has left a bitter taste.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #24
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Quote:
Yes I'll upload pictures this afternoon after work. I've provided the pictures to Phastek and ACS and I am waiting on a response.

Hope I can salvage the installation.

But even if I can salvage the installation this experience has left a bitter taste.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress!
You should be talking to Joseph at ACS.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #25
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
Never done it, but I wonder a few things

1. Have you owned the car since new, if not maybe it was in a accident at one time.
2. I bet if this scoop is too far forward it would gap because of the slope.
3. When the box arrived was it in good conditon, were bags inside sealed factory. I hope phastek didn't send you a returned item. I had it happen to me by Jegs and Summit.
4. Did you contact ACS direct with your issue before the post.
5. Did you measure twice before cutting, not to be negative, people with auto shops tend to be over confident.
6. Looks like ACS is trying to work with you and good luck on your modification
7. Pictures would of been a huge help and you plan to rectify it.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote