Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
JayV83

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS RS LS3
Gotta park my baby for awhile :(

Well my ridiculous driving record finally caught up with me, and can no longer afford my insurance. It has surpassed my car payment by quite abit. So I opted to suspend the liabilty and park it in the basement covered up until i can afford to drive it again. Each time i renew my policy from this point on I will have a violation come off. Im thinking it will be about a year to a year and a half until i can drive it again. Might be a good time to do some upgrades

2010 Camaro SS LS3 Dynatech Headers, Dynatech Highflow Cats, CAI, JRE Tune, More to come!!!
1970 GTO Butler built 474 stroker, Pump GAS
1987 Monte SS Healthy sbc 5 speed
JayV83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
flyer08
Tri-County Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Damn i have a few tickets but what did you do?
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Whoa! How many tix?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
the OP needs to sell the car and get a cheap used beater to drive. its silly to make pymts on a car you can neither drive nor afford. makes no sense.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
spike III
COTW 6/25/12

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayV83 View Post
Well my ridiculous driving record finally caught up with me, and can no longer afford my insurance. It has surpassed my car payment by quite abit. So I opted to suspend the liabilty and park it in the basement covered up until i can afford to drive it again. Each time i renew my policy from this point on I will have a violation come off. Im thinking it will be about a year to a year and a half until i can drive it again. Might be a good time to do some upgrades
Just don't put any mods on to increase HP. couldn't help myself.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
JayV83

haha....no tickets with the camaro...all with my truck. My tired old 85 f150. I had an accident and a couple tickets

2010 Camaro SS LS3 Dynatech Headers, Dynatech Highflow Cats, CAI, JRE Tune, More to come!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
JayV83

i would rather keep it, rather then pay to get rid of it. wrong time of year to try and sell it. I went online to see what these things are going for...and noway would I give it away.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
spike III
COTW 6/25/12

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayV83 View Post
i would rather keep it, rather then pay to get rid of it. wrong time of year to try and sell it. I went online to see what these things are going for...and noway would I give it away.
You had us on that one. Just set back and waited to see what kind of response you would get. [ Sneaky ]
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
RedHotRuby

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS LFX
That sucks man, what are you gonna do for a permagrin now?
RedHotRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #10
2Carats
bock-bock-doodle-atta-dee

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Location: Way down younder near the hico-uh hico-uh, the cottonwo-uh, the eucalyptus tree, crambone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotRuby View Post
That sucks man, what are you gonna do for a permagrin now?
He could go down to the basement, sit in it and make believe he's driving it.
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM   #11
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 14 2LT Vert, 14 Acadia, 07 G5 (DD)
I hope time flies by for you....

Next mods:
CAI Intake
Throttle Body
Exhaust
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Tickets are on you... not what you're driving. Learn to drive responsibly. Lessons of life.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM   #13
mariojmoe

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs ls3 manual
That is why you FIGHT EVERY ticket op. I race my cars (not on the track), and drive what I feel is a safe zpeed on the highway (usually 5 - 10 over) depending on road weather, and traffic conditions. Yes this sounds less than responsible but my eyes are constantly way ahead AND in my mirrors to see what is behind snd next to me. In the city and on streets (off the highway) you best believe I obey every sign, and stay right at the speed limit.

I am not a perfect driver but I will say I am above average and prefer to drive to myself (on highway) vs driving in a group or a cluster of cars. I know my skills but not the next individuals.

Ok the few times I do get pulled over (usually very well deserved), I am polite, cooperative, and honest (without outright admitting guilt. Normally I dont even get a citation (previous dept of corrections alameda county), in the event I do I laywer up and push it as far off as possible. Guess what? 95% of the time they will not show up unless you were a total d**k. I have zero points and one pending speeding I got in my company semi from a total d-bag cop (yes I was going slightly over).

In the future op IF you get popped (hopefully never again) dont plea and pay the ticket, fight it and/or talk with the prosecutor and make a non moving violation deal.

I have a cdl with hazmat (oilfeild) acid driver and this is why I fight all mine. On the other hand I am not going to be a paranoid stiff neither and drive at/or under the speed limit or not take up a challenge every now and then. (My ss is far from stock)

2009 Chevorlet Corvette Z06 - garage queen
2012 Ford F250 crew cab short bed Fx4 6.7 diesel 6" lift, 20" moto metal chromes on 37's - oilfeild thing
2008 Pontiac G8 gt sedan (under construction)
2013 Chevy Camaro 2ss rs 6 speed coupe - daily driver
2011 Subaru Impreza wrx sti sedan - daily driver for winter
2012 Mistubishi Lancer Evolution mr sedan - 2nd winter daily driver
mariojmoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #14
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
You might want to keep your fingers crossed that your lender does not become aware (and they will) that you have dropped insurance. They'lll just insure it and tack that on to the end of your bill.

I have driven over 30 years and owned every fast car ever made over the years... and not a single ticket. One accident that was not my fault (guy ran a stop sign). It's such a reward, better than speeding, to have such low insurance payments that one can add more fun n' fast cars to their stable.

And I agree: Sell the car and get a beater that you can put liability only on.

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM   #15
elektrik

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
the OP needs to sell the car and get a cheap used beater to drive. its silly to make pymts on a car you can neither drive nor afford. makes no sense.
What makes you think the Op won't get tickets with a beater?
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #16
elektrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
That is why you FIGHT EVERY ticket op. I race my cars (not on the track), and drive what I feel is a safe zpeed on the highway (usually 5 - 10 over) depending on road weather, and traffic conditions. Yes this sounds less than responsible but my eyes are constantly way ahead AND in my mirrors to see what is behind snd next to me. In the city and on streets (off the highway) you best believe I obey every sign, and stay right at the speed limit.

I am not a perfect driver but I will say I am above average and prefer to drive to myself (on highway) vs driving in a group or a cluster of cars. I know my skills but not the next individuals.

Ok the few times I do get pulled over (usually very well deserved), I am polite, cooperative, and honest (without outright admitting guilt. Normally I dont even get a citation (previous dept of corrections alameda county), in the event I do I laywer up and push it as far off as possible. Guess what? 95% of the time they will not show up unless you were a total d**k. I have zero points and one pending speeding I got in my company semi from a total d-bag cop (yes I was going slightly over).

In the future op IF you get popped (hopefully never again) dont plea and pay the ticket, fight it and/or talk with the prosecutor and make a non moving violation deal.

I have a cdl with hazmat (oilfeild) acid driver and this is why I fight all mine. On the other hand I am not going to be a paranoid stiff neither and drive at/or under the speed limit or not take up a challenge every now and then. (My ss is far from stock)
I thank God I live nowhere near you.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #17
WickedSSCamaro

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
You might want to keep your fingers crossed that your lender does not become aware (and they will) that you have dropped insurance. They'lll just insure it and tack that on to the end of your bill.
You definitely might want to review your loan contract on this as to what insurance is required. Force placed insurance by the bank isn't cheap.
WickedSSCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #18
mariojmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
I thank God I live nowhere near you.
Lol, I moved from (Willow Glen) San Jose to Tx in 2005 so I actually did live near you. THANK. GOD almighty I left your state and all thier politics and bs laws. So no offense taken bro

2012 Ford F250 crew cab short bed Fx4 6.7 diesel 6" lift, 20" moto metal chromes on 37's - oilfeild thing
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #19
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 1SS M6
In my early 20s I had 13 tickets in 36 months and had my license revoked as a habitual traffic offender. Two things I did that greatly reduced the number of tickets I got were:

1. Let girlfriend/wife drive most of the time. (while my license was revoked the X drove all the time).
2. Keep a good radar detector in any vehicle I am driving.

I am always polite to cops and have only been let off with a warning a couple times. I was getting nailed with 10-15 over all the time. Saying I was going to drive the speed limit was like saying I was going to eat healthier.

Police likelihood to show up in court depends from county to county and going to court here and losing means you get to pay the fine and court costs. If you know a cop or traffic lawyer, ask them before running off to court, but I have beaten tickets that way.

The OP said he suspended liability because he was not driving, not the comprehensive which would cover the holder of his note.

If the OP wanted to do the math on it, he would have to figure out what he could sell it for now vs what he thinks he could buy one the same age and mileage for in 18 months. Then, figure out if that delta is greater than the value of his payments including insurance over the next 18 months plus the PITA factor of buying and selling a car.

Being able to drive within the limits of the law and really being able to drive are not necessarily correlated. The blue hair that ran me over had a perfect driving record until she ran that red light. I've never caused an accident with an injury, knock wood. The accidents that have been my fault, again back when I was in my early 20s were low speed and caused by me not paying attention. When I am on the interstate doing 90, I don't answer the phone and I damn sure don't text, but it's perfectly legal in this state cruise at 70 and SnapChat your azz off.

For the record, I now have safe driver on my license.

2010 SS w/LS9 cam, headers and nitrous
CamaroCracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #20
elektrik

Quote:
Lol, I moved from (Willow Glen) San Jose to Tx in 2005 so I actually did live near you. THANK. GOD almighty I left your state and all thier politics and bs laws. So no offense taken bro
Glad no offense taken...just relieved that that since you have a commercial license and that attitude that you're as far away from me as possible....

...you're my long-lost brother apparently!
elektrik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #21
elektrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Being able to drive within the limits of the law and really being able to drive are not necessarily correlated. The blue hair that ran me over had a perfect driving record until she ran that red light. I've never caused an accident with an injury, knock wood. The accidents that have been my fault, again back when I was in my early 20s were low speed and caused by me not paying attention. When I am on the interstate doing 90, I don't answer the phone and I damn sure don't text, but it's perfectly legal in this state cruise at 70 and SnapChat your azz off.

For the record, I now have safe driver on my license.
This only means you're lucky, not a good driver. by 'good driver' I mean someone who obeys the laws and treats other drivers on the road with respect and courtesy. People like you and MariojMoe scare me, with the cavalier attitude about getting behind a several hundred-horsepower, nearly 2 ton bullet. Sure, that lady with the spotless record hit you, but if you look at it with the glass-half-full perspective, she was your only accident on an otherwise spotless record, without having to buy radar detectors, etc.

For me personally, I just prefer to not have to 'knock on wood' - would rather just be a cautious driver.....

...just saying...

Last edited by elektrik; Yesterday at 04:58 PM.
elektrik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #22
Dtowndog420

Drives: SBM 09 G8 GT/RH 15 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Carats View Post
He could go down to the basement, sit in it and make believe he's driving it.
Now that was funny! I'm truly laughing out loud!!
Dtowndog420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #23
mariojmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
This only means you're lucky, not a good driver. by 'good driver' I mean someone who obeys the laws and treats other drivers on the road with respect and courtesy. People like you and MariojMoe scare me, with the cavalier attitude about getting behind a several hundred-horsepower, nearly 2 ton bullet. Sure, that lady with the spotless record hit you, but if you look at it with the glass-half-full perspective, she was your only accident on an otherwise spotless record, without having to buy radar detectors, etc.

For me personally, I just prefer to not have to 'knock on wood' - would rather just be a cautious driver.....

...just saying...
I can't scare too many people. Cdl with hazmat and clean point free mvr since 2001 (16). Got my cdl in 2005 and no issues except the 5 over in my company semi.

So you are telling me because I obey ALL city/in town laws, and am cautious when NOT on the highway, respect ALL school zones, consrtuction zones, weather conditions, etc as well as speed limits when not on interstate that I am a dangerous driver? Lol. Yes on the interstate and highway I do drive 5-15 over (never or very seldom above 80). I pass my share of cars but most of the time I'm just a bit ahead of traffic (unless racing).

I had one NON FAULT accident to date (19 y/o texting) and she was cited. I cant be that bad i guess. Btw yes I too have a valentine one detector lol. I guess you never ever go over the speed limit either right? Why do you drive an ss? Just do me a favor and keep right since you do not exceed the speed limit.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #24
elektrik

Quote:
I can't scare too many people. Cdl with hazmat and clean point free mvr since 2001 (16). Got my cdl in 2005 and no issues except the 5 over in my company semi.

So you are telling me because I obey ALL city/in town laws, and am cautious when NOT on the highway, respect ALL school zones, consrtuction zones, weather conditions, etc as well as speed limits when not on interstate that I am a dangerous driver? Lol. Yes on the interstate and highway I do drive 5-15 over (never or very seldom above 80). I pass my share of cars but most of the time I'm just a bit ahead of traffic (unless racing).

I had one NON FAULT accident to date (19 y/o texting) and she was cited. I cant be that bad i guess. Btw yes I too have a valentine one detector lol. I guess you never ever go over the speed limit either right? Why do you drive an ss? Just do me a favor and keep right since you do not exceed the speed limit.
Nope, I don't exceed the speed limit, you're right. No, I'm not going to stay in the right lane if I need to pass someone (since that's the original purpose of the faster lanes) and why do I like an SS? What a silly question-I like it for the same reason everyone else here likes an SS.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #25
bucolic

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintc
Well everyone exceeds the speed limit at some point. By the letter of the law if you are going 56 in a 55 you are exceeding the speed limit and can be ticketed. I highly doubt anyone NEVER exceeds the speed limit. It's like saying your not a thief because you only steal $5 a day from the till and not $50 like the real thief's do

Also in an SS I would find it hard to believe that anyone could NEVER do a fast 0-60 acceleration to feel the power of that V8 and chirp those P-Zeros a bit. That is an unsafe start technically. So another law broken. I know because I almost got a ticket just for that 34 years ago when I was young and dumb. Peeled out from the corner in my 66 Mustang and the local PD educated me on this law and said he was giving me a break but only once.

I'm glad the OP shared his story. Someone may read it and could prevent them from making the same mistake. I dread the thought of getting a ticket so stories like this help keep me ticket free like I have been for the last 30 years.

2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
bucolic is offline   Reply With Quote