Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
SarahHuebner

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS
Exclamation HELP WITH FLOWMASTERS

I have a 2013 Camaro RS. So obviously a v6.

I recently went to a muffler shop and they recommended I get the 40 series Flowmasters American Thunder.

I stated multiple times that I was aware I had a v6, and getting Flowmasters was not going to make my car sound like a v8, but I also did not want it to sound like a rice burner.. or like I have a huge can in the back of my car.

When I first got them installed on May 4, they sounded great. Now, 3 weeks later, my car sounds like one of those Fast and Furious whiney loud cars. It sounds awful. I went to the muffler shop I had them installed at and all he said was, "that's why I was hesitant to put these in a v6." Offered no advice, just said sorry and that he agreed they sounded different.

First off, I was the hesitant one and he assured me it would sound great. He knew if he showed any hesitation I wouldn't have bought them. So now I am screwed out of $375 it looks like.

ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP. THANKS!!
SarahHuebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
do you have a cold air kit on the engine? it will change overall sound as well. or, find something else and sell those after u switch..
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
mma

Drives: '13 1LE
I think it should sound something like this?

assuming there isn't any muffler leaks or anything like that either. do you have a CAI or stock box? that's a factor that may influence the sound

if nothing's broken and its just the way it sounds.. i mean not much you can do about it but to replace it with another or get an x-pipe on it to dampen the sound a bit. i don't mean to sound too critical, but probably should've done your research before taking a recommendation wholeheartedly lol.

take a video and post it up maybe?
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
also, might try flowmaster. they may honor refund.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Mufflers do need a break-in period but usually they sound better afterwards. It could be a defective muffler? As noted above, check out some sound clips to see what your system might sound like.. but you have to compare apples to apples so any mods on another car will not create a perfect condition for comparison.

joe...
Old 05-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
I had the american thunders and thought they sounded good and got better with age
Old 05-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
SarahHuebner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
do you have a cold air kit on the engine? it will change overall sound as well. or, find something else and sell those after u switch..
As far as I know I do not. He said he just put the axle back exhaust on it.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Sorry you are not happy with the sound. BUT YOU CANNOT MAKE A SIX SOUND LIKE AN EIGHT.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
SarahHuebner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma View Post
I think it should sound something like this?

assuming there isn't any muffler leaks or anything like that either. do you have a CAI or stock box? that's a factor that may influence the sound

if nothing's broken and its just the way it sounds.. i mean not much you can do about it but to replace it with another or get an x-pipe on it to dampen the sound a bit. i don't mean to sound too critical, but probably should've done your research before taking a recommendation wholeheartedly lol.

take a video and post it up maybe?
I actually did do a lot of research and the video you posted is one of the videos I watched many times. I read many of these forums for a week straight. My car sounded like that at first, but now it doesn't.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
SarahHuebner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
Mufflers do need a break-in period but usually they sound better afterwards. It could be a defective muffler? As noted above, check out some sound clips to see what your system might sound like.. but you have to compare apples to apples so any mods on another car will not create a perfect condition for comparison.

joe...
Yep, he said they would sound better after a week or so.. but it has been 3 weeks today and it definitely sounds worse. I listened to multiple videos on youtube of my car with the same Flowmasters on it and it sounds nothing like my car at all. I think it has something to do with the business I took my car to. May get a second opinion from another shop.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
SarahHuebner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens ss View Post
Sorry you are not happy with the sound. BUT YOU CANNOT MAKE A SIX SOUND LIKE AN EIGHT.

I believe that was the first sentence of my post but thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
SarahHuebner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
I had the american thunders and thought they sounded good and got better with age
The same ones I have? I believe something is wrong with the installation or something. Everyone agrees with me that has heard my car says that something has happened in the past week that has made my car sound very different. Gonna take it to another shop for a second opinion.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHuebner View Post
I believe that was the first sentence of my post but thanks.
Oops sorry you definitely did. Looks like my speed reading needs improvement. Sorry
Old 05-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
SarahHuebner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens ss View Post
Oops sorry you definitely did. Looks like my speed reading needs improvement. Sorry
Lol it's ok. Nice car.