Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
n-shane@hotmail.com

Drives: 2010 MAROOOOOO
Question EXPERIENCED AUDIO PEOPLE! question about a clipping problem with audio..

so my buddy down the street has a 2ss silver maro. blah blah, whatever.

anyways, so he got a full system (all JL components). and two 12 in JL w3's and it sounds great... the thing is when he turns it up to a certain point depending on the song or whatnot it will clip out. like the song will be going and then suddenly all the speakers except the center onstar one will clip out for a second then the bass comes back then the speakers come back. all within seconds this happens.

i told him to take it back to the shop he had install and he did. they are telling him that it is because it is hooked to the stock headunit and it can only support so many watts and power. so at a certain peak the song will clip out because of the stock headunit....

anyone with experience with any advise i can give him? are they lying? how to avoid it clipping or why it clips out for a second?

(btw i told him to get registered and come on this site! muahaha)
Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Speagle

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
In my experience when that happens it is usually an impedance issue at the amp. The first thing I would check is what ohm the amp is running. Simply use an ohm-meter and test the the speaker wires at the amp then reference the reading to the amplifiers capabilities. Also I call B.S. on the shop that installed it. I have never seen an instance where the head unit would receive any signal from the amp much less actual wattage. The receiver sends a low voltage signal to the amp that gradually increases with the volume. This principal doesn't change just because the amp is replaced with a different one. Tell your friend that the shop needs to quit playin and fix his shit.
Speagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Scourage
Syntax Error

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
CD, XM or MP3/iPod? I ask because I had the same issue with XM and my MP3's at 128K or lower.
Scourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Amp is "clipping" from a lack of power supply.

He has the gain turned up way too high for a couple reasons...he's deaf or using an amp that is too small for what he's trying to do.

1.)He should power the system correctly (obviously) by using the correct gauge power and ground wires.

2.)Consider getting a higher powered amp that will run at a lower duty cycle and give him years of use instead of months at this rate.

3.)or at the minimum consider installing a 1-2 farad capacitor.

I'm not the type to bash any professional shop since I've worked in several. But a standup shop should not give him that sort of answer after taking his money...especially since it is not the correct answer.

Something isn't wired right. Plain and simple.

Best of luck to your friend and let us know if you need more help!,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
More details on how the whole system is wired up would help to get a better answer.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2010 1SS RS CGM
Definitely sounds like an impedance issue. Is he using the stock Boston accoustics amp? Does anyone know what the impedances are for the stock BA components? If it was truly a matter of him just turning the volume up too loud and the new speakers were the right impedance, the sound would be distorted (technically the amplifier is clipping to the rail voltage).

What you are describing sounds like the amp is going into overload protection, meaning the load on all those channels is lower than what the amp is rated for and they draw too much current. The reason it's not happening on the center channel speaker is because it's not a component so they couldn't wire a tweeter in parallel.

2012 2LS - I'm back in BLACK!
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
n-shane@hotmail.com

okay to answer few things i got from him. its aftermarket amps one for the speakers and one for the subs. so its not boston...

umm anout the gain. he has a gain knob placed below the dash and its not too loud. he told me he has played with it higher or even lower. some songs will cut out at 20!! most of them can NOT pass 27 or 28 without the sound beggining to clip..

as of more information for how its wired he was not there so he would not know...

im not sure about how this ohm meter test you are talking about. could you possibly explain more about this.. if i get enough information ill just print this all out and give it to him to take down to the shop. (maybe they dont know the real reason which is why they tell him there is a issue with stock headunit...)
Old 02-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
n-shane@hotmail.com

DOES ANYONE ELSE with a aftermarket system (ie> SUbs and speakers and two amps) having this problem of it clipping?... anYONE?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Wvallediego

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 RS SS
Wvallediego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
He's got a voltage problem. He's running two amps on a factory electrical system. A capacitor will NOT help, don't have him waste any money. Bass knobs are bad juju, lol, people want ot play with them. A proper setup doesn't need a bass knob, but people gotta tinker, lol.

The gains on the amps need to be turned down. A battery upgrade, something deep cycle, ala Optima YellowTop, needs to be bought and lastly, as mentioned above, wouldn't hurt to check the impedence on the amps. Do it with the system OFF, grab a dmm, set it to ohms, and measure the resisitance at the connections. Would be great if you disconnect the speakers/subs from the amps to get a truely accurate reading. Find the specs on the amps, the high amp speakers should read 2 ohms or higher per pair of speaker wires, the sub amp set could read as low as 1 ohm to as high as 4. Depending upon model of amp, that needs to be matched. If it's a 2 ohm stable sub amp, but the subs are wired to 1 ohm, there's your problem. If everything is where it is supposed to be, look for a new battery and turn the gains down.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
n-shane@hotmail.com

fyi an update he went down to a different shop and they telling him that he needs to get a new battery (second one) and piggy back them, and some 4gauge wire for the amps. they were running 8 gauge haha. it seems to be voltage for sure. ill keep you posted thatnks for the help peeps he appreciates it al.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Have them run 0gauge as primary. Split to two 4 gauge runs.

The previous shop installed both amps off 8 gauge? Seriously?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Have them run 0gauge as primary. Split to two 4 gauge runs.

The previous shop installed both amps off 8 gauge? Seriously?
yea at least 2 gauge w3's dont need huge amounts of power but overkill doesnt hurt
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
..simply observe if the amp turns off then on(like going into protection mode)...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote