Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #29
rayhawk

 
rayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 996
[QUOTE=DGthe3;131811]we don't know what sort of numbers the Camaro will put to the wheels. The Corvette has a very efficient driveline so losses are in the 10%-13% range. We shouldn't expect the Camaro to do as well as the Corvette, nice if it does though.

Not trying to argue, but I don't really believe driveline losses can be any different from two vehicles with the same transmission and same basic setup...Where would the additional losses come from? I would believe the corvette has a slightly better exhaust setup (don't really know, just guessing) that might give it that extra 8 hp over the camaro, or perhaps a slightly different factory tune, which should show roughly the same 8 hp difference at the rear wheels.

Chassis dyno numbers can be very difficult to compare and driveline losses are calculated by assuming the flywheel hp given by the manufacturer is accurate. A ton of other variables come into play that make calculating drivetrain losses somewhat unreliable.

I am no expert on dyno testing but I just don't see where the difference would come from when comparing the corvette and camaro.
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,002
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
And seeing that the GTO, which I see a lot of things with the Camaro that parallel to it, wasn't even priced under 30k...
The GTO was made in limited numbers, it was imported (just a rebadged Monaro), and Lutz has said it was overpriced in the past among other things regarding its not-so-hot sales...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #31
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,747
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The GTO was made in limited numbers, it was imported (just a rebadged Monaro), and Lutz has said it was overpriced in the past among other things regarding its not-so-hot sales...

__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,057
[QUOTE=rayhawk;131977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
we don't know what sort of numbers the Camaro will put to the wheels. The Corvette has a very efficient driveline so losses are in the 10%-13% range. We shouldn't expect the Camaro to do as well as the Corvette, nice if it does though.

Not trying to argue, but I don't really believe driveline losses can be any different from two vehicles with the same transmission and same basic setup...Where would the additional losses come from? I would believe the corvette has a slightly better exhaust setup (don't really know, just guessing) that might give it that extra 8 hp over the camaro, or perhaps a slightly different factory tune, which should show roughly the same 8 hp difference at the rear wheels.

Chassis dyno numbers can be very difficult to compare and driveline losses are calculated by assuming the flywheel hp given by the manufacturer is accurate. A ton of other variables come into play that make calculating drivetrain losses somewhat unreliable.

I am no expert on dyno testing but I just don't see where the difference would come from when comparing the corvette and camaro.
I believe some of the losses are due to differing suspensions too. I couldn't tell you which one is more efficient but I've read that. Also, I don't think it will be quite as high as a base LS3 in the 'Vette because, unless I'm mistaken, the tires on that car are about 26-inches tall, where as SS is going to be something like 28-inches. There loss with the weight of the wheels/tires too that'll drag down the numbers. Gear ratios, although I think the rear gears are similar, will effect numbers - generally higher ratios consume more power. Because Camaro is heavier, I think the driveline components will be heavier too, not to mention I'm sure lighter materials were used where possible on the 'Vette too since they were aiming for a light-weight car.

IMVHO - two different cars with the same engine will just dyno differently.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.1:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam and valvetrain/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/e'fan conversion/aluminum radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners by me/LED exterior lighting/Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #33
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The GTO was made in limited numbers, it was imported (just a rebadged Monaro), and Lutz has said it was overpriced in the past among other things regarding its not-so-hot sales...
Yes, very true. Hopefully they really learned from it and don't make the same mistake with the Camaro.
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #34
lalometalik
killer bAnana
 
lalometalik's Avatar
 
Drives: 1985 z28
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Carson, CA
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think that 500 is going to charge really hard down the straights. I'm not sure SS would be able to keep up but I'm hoping so
thats where the Z28 steps in!

at least i hope it does, eventually :x
__________________


"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #35
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
thats where the Z28 steps in!

at least i hope it does, eventually :x
I like how you think
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.1:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam and valvetrain/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/e'fan conversion/aluminum radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners by me/LED exterior lighting/Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #36
rayhawk

 
rayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 996
[QUOTE=radz282003;132002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post

I believe some of the losses are due to differing suspensions too. I couldn't tell you which one is more efficient but I've read that. Also, I don't think it will be quite as high as a base LS3 in the 'Vette because, unless I'm mistaken, the tires on that car are about 26-inches tall, where as SS is going to be something like 28-inches. There loss with the weight of the wheels/tires too that'll drag down the numbers. Gear ratios, although I think the rear gears are similar, will effect numbers - generally higher ratios consume more power. Because Camaro is heavier, I think the driveline components will be heavier too, not to mention I'm sure lighter materials were used where possible on the 'Vette too since they were aiming for a light-weight car.

IMVHO - two different cars with the same engine will just dyno differently.

I can't argue with you there, all of those factors definitely come into play, it is just that you hear about these variables but you never really see them quantified. I think when you start adding all the variables you really just end up needing a baseline run before and after mods on the same dyno to come up with any meaningful numbers anyway.

Comparing numbers from different dyno's and different cars, (even the same cars) has to be done carefully because the absolute hp number is not as useful as the change in the number.
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #37
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
I can't argue with you there, all of those factors definitely come into play, it is just that you hear about these variables but you never really see them quantified. I think when you start adding all the variables you really just end up needing a baseline run before and after mods on the same dyno to come up with any meaningful numbers anyway.

Comparing numbers from different dyno's and different cars, (even the same cars) has to be done carefully because the absolute hp number is not as useful as the change in the number.
Exactly. Shoot, the same car on the same dyno', at nearly the same time sometimes won't produce exactly the same numbers. I think it'll do good though. It'd be nice to see around 380 but I'm thinking closer to 360-370. Still, that won't be bad at all
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.1:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam and valvetrain/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/e'fan conversion/aluminum radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners by me/LED exterior lighting/Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #38
Nexus6
More human than human
 
Nexus6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The mouth of hell
Posts: 1,890
weren't the HP numbers on the 4th gen UNDER rated? ,it may be the same with the 5th gen as well.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #39
Congoman775

 
Congoman775's Avatar
 
Drives: Muscle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The GTO was made in limited numbers, it was imported (just a rebadged Monaro), and Lutz has said it was overpriced in the past among other things regarding its not-so-hot sales...
The GTO came out with an MSRP of low 30's right?

well if low 30's was called 'expensive' then i think its more than just possible, i think its LIKELY that we see the SS MSRP in the high 20's.

Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #40
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.
 
RLHMARINES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 1,991
I was told by a person who works with the show and display folks at GM about 6 months ago during a show, that the production convertible was stunning in person. He also said that the high horsepower version of the camaro would be coming out a little after the launch of the convertible and that the power level was about 525 hp. He also said that due to the pending cafe changes that these high powered cars would not be offered for a very long production run. This guy seemed to be a reliable source especially when he said that he had sat in on a meeting about the camaro. He also told me about the billet gas cap being offered way before it was released by gm or shown in print anywhere.

I'am not saying it is fact, but just that it could still be possible.

If gm offered a lsa 6.2 thru gmg or slp, would this be counted under gm's cafe or be counted as a aftermarket tuner exemption or something? Anyone know how this would work?
RLHMARINES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #41
GOT PSI
 
GOT PSI's Avatar
 
Drives: SRT-4
Join Date: May 2008
Location: El Paso
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
thats where the Z28 steps in!

at least i hope it does, eventually :x
Z28? I'm waiting for the Camaro GTR/F-22.
__________________
I am a power junkie,
and forced induction is my fix.
GOT PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #42
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Metro Detroit, Mi
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I was told by a person who works with the show and display folks at GM about 6 months ago during a show, that the production convertible was stunning in person. He also said that the high horsepower version of the camaro would be coming out a little after the launch of the convertible and that the power level was about 525 hp. He also said that due to the pending cafe changes that these high powered cars would not be offered for a very long production run. This guy seemed to be a reliable source especially when he said that he had sat in on a meeting about the camaro. He also told me about the billet gas cap being offered way before it was released by gm or shown in print anywhere.

I'am not saying it is fact, but just that it could still be possible.
Sounds pretty logical actually. Sounds like it could happen too. I definitely see that happening... IF it is to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
If gm offered a lsa 6.2 thru gmg or slp, would this be counted under gm's cafe or be counted as a aftermarket tuner exemption or something? Anyone know how this would work?
That's a good question. I know Roush Performance that has been synonymous with Ford Products probably for the last 10 years or so
has their plant in Livonia, Mi. Now I don't know if they actually buy the vehicles from Ford, and then customize them and then sell them back to Ford, or just license them through Ford dealerships and sell them... It's a good question, and maybe could be a possible loop-hole around the CAFE standards... All I know is that the few times I've driven past the plant I see a whole parking lot full of straight up looking production F-150's and Mustangs in then in another lot I see them completed, and ready to be shipped... Who knows although I doubt GM would do it. They'll probably just make it for a limited run of like 2-3 years or something...
__________________
4 life!
Currently Driving: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM
Automobilemag.com: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro - Q&A Scotsman 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 23 10-12-2008 12:13 AM
CAMARO and mustang week myrtle beach SC boxmonkeyracing USA - Southeast 9 06-20-2008 08:30 PM
NEW!! Voice Your MARKETING Suggestions/Input for Focus Group on 2010 Camaro. Mr. Wyndham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 114 05-08-2008 09:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.