Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
Light Dimming Problem/Question?

okay when i first got the car. the lights didnt dim at night time...well u can notice the lights dim if u pay attention. but never did it when i first got it.

later down the road. like anyone else would i started Modding it. and i changed all my car bulbs for LEDS. and then added a Subwoofer. only 1 12in sub. and then also added HIDS bi xenon. and the lights now start dimming. i ran a relay on the hids, my sub is powered by 520watt amp. and the sub only requires like 300 max! so i have 220 watts left over so idk? and the leds? well idk....but i have a question...how can i fix the light dimming. the inteior lights dim. the radio dims a lil. i know its something with the battery or something. so does anyone have a clue how can i do this? because i STILL need to add foglights AND footwell lights. so its gonna take more.

someone told me to run a capaciator or something. and another person said get a better battery but i was wondering...chevy included HIDS,Subs,Fogs n such from factory and they dont dim....whats the problemm!!!
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
The added amplifier for your sub is the issue. Try driving at night without the system on, I'll wager you'll not see any dimming. That is usually occuring when the bass hits in the system, drawing extra current from the battery to provide for it.

Don't buy a cap, waste of money. Upgrade your battery. Try a good quality deep cycle,not a normal starting battery. It should help to resolve your issue, which is a voltage problem, by having extra current on standby, to ease the strain on the alternator.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
Yeah it's when the bass hits!

How much can one on of those batterys run me?
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
squatin0n18s

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS A6 Camaro
im interested in this also, as i was told i'd need a battery too, but my guy said i wouldnt necesarily have to run a whole new battery i could just replace mine with a lot better one...is this true? or should i just go ahead and run the new battery? doesn't matter to me i'm just tired of the lights dimming while driving, people always think im flashing my lights or something cos they do it back!!
squatin0n18s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
A good battery to replace your factory battery should work. Optima Yellow Top/Blue Top, are two of the most popular. There are batteries by Stinger , and hell, too many companies to list, lol. My favortie is the BatCap 800. Tiny little sucker, will start your car, but is better as a second battery.

Go to a local car audio shop and see what they have for deep cycle batteries. Then price online as well as there. Compare with the Yellow Tops and Blue Tops. Buy the one that fits in your price range, should range from about $120 and up, some online pricing might be lower.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
squatin0n18s

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS A6 Camaro
yeah i did a bit of research on deep cycle battery's and optima came up the most for sure...but i cant find anything about whether to use a blue, yellow, or red top battery for my (future) camaro....im gonna be doing 1000-1300 watts rms, so i'll definitely be upgrading the big three. once i find a good y,r,or b top, do you think it'll be able to handle that without getting a second battery? i'll probably be doing the interior lights and halo's too....i don't mind if it dims a little i just don't want it doing what its doing to my truck right now to my camaro...
squatin0n18s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
inferno_orange_ss/rs

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
something you can also do is add another ground wire onto your existing battery. one of the dimming problems with subs is the grounds. try a bigger ground on your amp and add another one to your batt. that got rid of my dimming problems with stock battery.
inferno_orange_ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno_orange_ss/rs View Post
something you can also do is add another ground wire onto your existing battery. one of the dimming problems with subs is the grounds. try a bigger ground on your amp and add another one to your batt. that got rid of my dimming problems with stock battery.
I definitely wouldn't recommend adding a bigger ground to your amp without upgrading the positive wire as well... your power and ground wires need to be the same size and as close to the same strand count as possible... power flows from negative to positive (and from positive to negative under some circumstances) so you always want your positive and negative wires of the same gauge, etc...

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
inferno_orange_ss/rs

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
first you want the correct gauge wire for power. you can have all the power in the world but a weak ground wire will stop you in your tracks. having two diffrent size ground and power wires doesn't matter at all. call any stereo shop around your town and they will tell you that they install a beefy ground wire on installs that is usually bigger than the power line. if you already installed your power threw your firewall and under the carpet don't take it out to match a bigger ground thats just stupid.
inferno_orange_ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote