Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
jrcase

Drives: 2010 Black/Black 2SS
Tires... flat spots

These tires must be the softest compound known to man. My 2SS is garage kept and the temp MAY go as low as 50 degrees in the garage at the lowest at night. Every morning when I drive off it feels like I have square tires for about 3 miles or so. It always seems to be the rears too. The bouncing is not fun when I am taking someone for a drive....

I am hoping that summertime temperatures will ease the flat spot problem. Is it as bad in the summer?
jrcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Do a burnout. That'll fix the rears
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
actually many performance tires have this issue due to the rubber compounds that are used,thats why you see the pros always warming there tires up,its not just for show
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
Yes, Ihave the same problem but once the tires get warmed up they are smooth. Don't worry too much about.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
hell my car has been sitting since Nov. . . I am sure it has flat spots by now.

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Krozzbow

Drives: 2LT/BB 3.6 V6 6-M Jun'09 #A9100242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Do a burnout. That'll fix the rears
That will fix it alright.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Bill Dillow

Drives: 2005 2500HD DuraMax, 2010 SS/RS Bla
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcase View Post
These tires must be the softest compound known to man. My 2SS is garage kept and the temp MAY go as low as 50 degrees in the garage at the lowest at night. Every morning when I drive off it feels like I have square tires for about 3 miles or so. It always seems to be the rears too. The bouncing is not fun when I am taking someone for a drive....

I am hoping that summertime temperatures will ease the flat spot problem. Is it as bad in the summer?
I've had my car since September, no issues with the flat spots until temps dipped down to the mid 40's and below.
Bill Dillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozzbow View Post
That will fix it alright.
Though, I wouldn't recommend it
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Brister1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcase View Post

I have the same issue, I have the 20" wheel/tire and every cold morning I can feel the flat spots for a few miles.
Brister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
no problems here, garage kept, temps low/high 50/40s at night.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I have to restrain myself here. But, these are high performance tires. They have a very soft tread that is susceptible to this, when the car sits for any length of time, especially in cold weather.

And this is a problem why? Because you have to warm up the tires by driving a reasonably short distance. Lighten up. Heavens, this is to be expected from this type of tire.

If it bothers you so much, go out and find a harder compound replacement.

It is amazing to me why this is so much of a problem for people.

There are a lot worse things to worry about in this world, other than if your tires need to be warmed up when you drive the car after it has been sitting for a long period of time.

The Horror of it al! Geez......
Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
LIke when folks run out to buy ceramic brake pads for their daily, then fail to realize they need heat to work like they do in racings.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Brister1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
I have to restrain myself here. But, these are high performance tires. They have a very soft tread that is susceptible to this, when the car sits for any length of time, especially in cold weather.

And this is a problem why? Because you have to warm up the tires by driving a reasonably short distance. Lighten up. Heavens, this is to be expected from this type of tire.

There are a lot worse things to worry about in this world, other than if your tires need to be warmed up when you drive the car after it has been sitting for a long period of time.

Oh, I wasn't complaining at all. I was just agreeing with the previous message. It dosen't bother me at all.
I just didnt know what it was at first. This is my first street performance car and the only experience I have with soft compound tires is on my 1967 Super Pro Camaro race car with the slicks.
Brister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Brister1 -

I hear ya. Nothing to be worried about. Its the price we pay for having an awesome automobile. I knew that would happen going in. Never bothered me.

Enjoy the car. I know I love miine!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Generally, all "high speed rated" tires contain on or more "Nylon" belts to achieve the speed rating. These tires have (2) nylon belts. Flat spotting is a typical problem with any of these tires since the nylon takes a "set" when parked and is less sensitive in warmer temperatures. The rubber is not the problem.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
zen

From Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=42

Tire Flatspotting

Do you ever feel a ride disturbance or shimmy during the first few miles of driving after your vehicle has been parked for a few days, weeks or months? Then, after you drive a couple of miles, the ride smoothes out and feels OK. This condition is often called flatspotting because it is used to describe the tire flatspots that can occur when a vehicle is parked.

Many heavy duty, high performance, high speed rated and racing tires have a memory because they continue to remember the position in which they were last parked after they begin to be driven on again. Unfortunately, their memory can become a problem when the tires experience big swings in ambient temperature, have been parked overnight in cold temperatures, or parked for an extended period of time...because it's a lack of use that can cause tires to flatspot.

As they roll, tires go from a relaxed state to a loaded state about 800 times every mile. This constant deflection generates heat that makes the tires more flexible. But once they are parked, the spot in contact with the ground (the tire's footprint) flattens as it is pressed against the road's flat surface as the tires cool. This is what generates flatspots. And until the tires "warm up" again, the flatspot on each tire can cause a ride disturbance that will be felt for the first few miles the next time the vehicle is driven.

Flatspotting can be temporary (the tire will round out as driving warms it up) or in the most severe cases, permanent (in which the tire's memory effectively destroys its ride quality). A flatspot's severity is often a function of the tire size, internal structure, load, ambient temperature and time.

Low aspect ratio tires have less sidewall flex due to their short sidewalls and much of their load carrying capacity is absorbed by the deflection of their wide footprints.

The tread compounds and firm, nylon reinforced internal constructions used on high performance and high speed rated tires are more susceptible to flatspotting.

Heavy loads and too little air pressure in the tires (underinflation) will allow them to deflect more where they come into contact with the ground. This allows even more deflection, increasing the severity of the flatspotting.

Cold ambient temperatures make rubber compounds stiffer, increasing their tendency to flatspot.

The longer tires remain stationary, the better they remember the position in which they were last parked. Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flatspotted.

Minimizing Flatspotting

While there is no way to completely avoid tire flatspotting, knowing what to expect under different conditions will help minimize its inconvenience.

NOTE: It is important to check and reset tire inflation pressures to those recommended by the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle placard or owners manual when taking a vehicle out of storage.

Tire flatspotting would be most noticeable when beginning to drive a vehicle that has been stored incorrectly (with the weight of the vehicle pressing down through the tires to the ground). When storing a vehicle for more than a few weeks, it is best to drive the vehicle until it is thoroughly warmed up and then immediately put it up on "blocks" after arriving at the storage location. Doing this takes the load off of the tires completely. Not doing this on a vehicle that will be parked for a few months runs the risk of permanently flatspotting the tires.

Tire flatspotting may also be noticed when beginning to drive a vehicle that has not been driven for a few days, or during the colder winter months after the vehicle has been parked overnight. However, these types of flatspots will usually disappear during the first few miles of driving.

Usually during the day, the warmer ambient temperatures and more frequent vehicle use will not allow noticeable flatspots to form. However, anytime a vehicle goes in for ride-related services (tire rotation, rebalancing, or to diagnose ride disturbances), the vehicle should be driven for 5 to 10 miles immediately before being raised in the shop to make certain that temporary flatspots are not preventing the source of the ride complaint from being isolated and corrected.

And finally, tire flatspotting will also be noticed at the beginning of each session when attending a driver's school, track day or race. Whenever the car is returned to the paddock, the vehicle should immediately be lifted off of the ground to prevent flatspotting (this will also allow the car to feel more stable at the beginning of the next track session). This practice also allows debris to be cleaned off of the hot tires while they are inspected for any punctures and cuts. If you watch the professional race teams at an event, you'll see that they always remove the race tires immediately after stopping in the pits at the end of a session (if they plan to continue using the tires).
Old 03-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
MrE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post

He was asking a simple question. No need to take it personal.

And to the OP, yes, totally normal. Hell, my Infiniti had the same issue with the set of Pilot Sports when I'd pull out of the garage every morning during the winter months. After a couple miles the flat spots would go away.
Delivered to customer 11/24/09 - Happy ever since.
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #18
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
The Dualer HTs on my Mom Subaru Forest does that when really cold. For the first block or so of driving its feels freaky but then is gone and you forget about it.

I notice it big time as I only use it ever so often. Usually in the winter at 3am and I forget and think the tire is gonna fall off for a sec.

Flat spotting is only bad when it wont go away but takes years of sitting in my experience or from a high speed brake lock up.

And a few times I replaced tires I thought were bad from sitting, that turned out to be bent rims. 1 good pothole shot is all it takes.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
goose2011
Drive it like u stole it

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss and 1968 camar
jus the tires man they aint tht good run flats ride like crap
goose2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

The reason I expressed myself as such was because, this topic comes up on here quite often.

Like you pointed out, it is normal. As did I.

Either way, the car is to be enjoyed. That's the real pleasure of owning the Camaro.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

So, all you people up north who have to store your Camaro for the winter, invest in a set of jack stands...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #22
Giggy

Drives: 2SS/RS blk/blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
So, all you people up north who have to store your Camaro for the winter, invest in a set of jack stands...
Yep, 2 sets of 2 to get all 4 tires off the ground. I adjusted mine to get about 80% of the weight off of them. Weather getting better by the day so getting ansi to take it out for a spin.
Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #23
zen

What I always did with my vettes was to cut 1 foot squares of 1 1/2 inch thick styrofoam and drive the car onto them. The tire makes a imprint into the styroam the same radius as the tire. never had a problem in many years. saves a lot of work. The car sat that way for ~ 4 months in cold weather in a unheated garage.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #24
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
hell my car has been sitting since Nov. . . I am sure it has flat spots by now.
got you beat bro my car has been covered since oct 1st. had it out two weeks ago had no issues with the tires. my garage is unheated gets as low 40's out there
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #25
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: EMB 135/140/145+2010 IBM 2SS
I park with a piece of soft carpeting under each tire. It fills in gaps in the tread pattern to evenly distribute weight, and thermally insulates the tires from the ground. Take your shoe off outside in the winter....it's a lot more comfortable to stand on carpet than on concrete at 10 degrees below 0....same concept. So far I haven't encountered any flat spots, and the car has sat up to 24 days without being moved.