Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
DIY-Removing Dealer emblems!

Really quite simple, however there have been some random thread replies lately that have spurred me to start whipping up some more DIY Threads.

Even if they are simple.....

So, here we go! Let's stop the free advertising.

Tools needed:

Hair dryer (or heat gun with a low heat setting)
fine Dental floss(or sewing thread)
"Goof Off" or non-acetone nail polish remover
Initiative

First thing Id recommend doing is cleaning up the area around your emblem that you are planning to remove. The last thing we wanna do is put some scratches in your clearcoat with all the working around the dirt stuff.

Besides, she'll appreciate a good wash!

Next thing we'll do is heat up the adhesive that is holding on the hideous emblem that we are about to remove.

(Note: Most all of the emblems are different but the one thing that they all share is that the adhesive (or glue) that holds them on is at it's weakest when it is fresh and/or when it is heated. The sooner you decide to remove it, the better.)

Apply even heat about 6-8 inches away from the surface with a sweeping motion so that you don't focus all the heat on one area.

After we've heated it for a good 30 seconds with the wifes blowdryer....er...heat gun....the emblem may be able to come loose with a fingernail and slight pull.

Give this a try first. If not, take your string (or floss) and gently work it between the emblem and surface of the car. Just like flossing your teeth, gently work it back and forth "sawing" the emblem away from the surface.
(Note: If you don't floss your teeth, or don't have teeth to floss and have never done it....it's revolutionary. I highly reccommend it!)

Dig it...

Ok....getting back to it.

If it doesn't come easy stop and reheat again as chances are the glue has returned to room temp and isn't giving. It should come easy.

Once you have successfully removed the emblem from your whip, you might still find that some of the adhesive is still stuck to the car. No sweat! The last thing you want to do is take a blade to it. This would be BAD. Instead,
use some non-acetone based nail polish remover or the sorts and it will come right off without harming your paints surface.

Once done, go ahead and take a minute to clean your newly debaged area with your car cleaner/polish/wax of choice and take her for a spin!

You are no DEBADGED and not working for "The Man."

Enjoy!
Ivan
Attached Images

Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Nice DIY for those who's dealers did the dirty deed -
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
Nice write up. I personally hate dealer emblems on my cars. And I make it perfectly clear. That the car I am purchasing will not have any dealer emblems, stickers and/or plate frames. I have owned quite a few vehicles in my life. And I have yet to be told they won't sell me the car if they can't have they logo on it. lol
Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
SCPO/SS

Drives: 2010 2SS / 6AT Cyber Grey
Nice write-up. I recommend Isopropyl Alcohol on a soft cloth for the removal of any adhesive that is left on the surface of the car. It won’t damage the paint but you will need to reapply a fresh coat of wax once all of the adhesive is removed.
SCPO/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Thanks guys!!

Isopropyl is another great method. Less intrusive for sure!

I watched my car roll off the trailer.....told em "no dealer emblems" and they still put one on. Effers.

I saw it, mentioned that I was unhappy about it, but I was making sure that all the other more important things were in order.

But yes, the scumbags can and still do it!!

-Ivan
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I told my dealer NO decals and do not put frony plate holer on. Problemed solved. Let put rear licience plate holder on.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Nice DIY for those who's dealers did the dirty deed -
Holy Shiza!

Camaro Scotty responded to my thread!!!

Thanks Scotty!

I can die now.
-Ivan
Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Holy Shiza!

Camaro Scotty responded to my thread!!!

Thanks Scotty!

I can die now.
-Ivan
You're not going to wait for the Z28 first???
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
You're not going to wait for the Z28 first???
Hell Scott, I'd love to hold my breath. I'm just too damn happy with my SS though!

Thanks for dropping in you Celeb you!

Take care kind Sir,
Ivan
Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Luckily my dealer just put on the back of my trunk b4 i left and its was magnetic. so when i got home i took it off right the way with no marks left ^_^.
spoone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
thanks for the writeup.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I require any dealer to take that crap off before I drive away. That way I don't have to do it. They put that stuff on. They can take it off.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
ArtfulDodger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 BLK/BLK,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
I require any dealer to take that crap off before I drive away. That way I don't have to do it. They put that stuff on. They can take it off.
Darth, I agree with you!!! None of my cars have the dealer stuff on them. The only exception is a tag frame (which I can change)!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
vincewalthers

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Aqua Blue Metallic
I'm quite a few months late on this thread lol but I was looking through all the DIY's and stumbled across it. I was at the dealership when my ABM arrived (after waiting 4 months for my order) and there were no dealer decals on it. I specifically told the dealer 3 times that they were not to put the dealer decals on. After the paperwork was done a few hours later I found BRAVO stickered to the rear of the car and had them pull it off immidiately! I can't stand dealer emblems on a car!! lol
vincewalthers is offline   Reply With Quote