Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Medieval Peanut

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2 RS
Post How much on suspension modification?

Hello,

I'm minimally literate on suspension systems and if there's a thread on this already, please point me there.

My basic question is "how much should I invest in my suspension based on my need?"

I have the V6 with RS package and recently got 22" wheels and would like to lower it 2-3inches to close the gap, I can post a pic if needed, I think 2 is what I'm comfortable with I think 3 will bring it too close to the fender and I dont want it kissing the ground. I do plan on some performance modifications, how much I'm not sure right now or when, could be a supercharger, could be just adding intake and exhaust.

A little on my driving habits, yes I speed..occassionally a bit more than one should like on the way to vegas to save 30mins on travel time as an accomplishment lol, I tend to push my cars a little harder where I know I can get away with it lol. I dont have any plans to go to the track but if I did because I was more equiped for it, I would like to have a little bit of fun but dont intend anything serious or regular but would just like to do a little better than stock.

Based on that, what should I look for in things to upgrade without having to spend a small fortune (maybe all I need are springs to lower it, it feels like the car comes with pretty decent handling as it is).

thanks
Medieval Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi Medieval Peanut,

Well, I guess my first recommendation to you would be to take a look at forum members Camaros, who have upgraded their suspension, and see what you think about the aesthetics of them. I think you may find that your intended drop of 2" - 3" is a little aggressive. There is a limited amount of bump travel designed into the Camaro suspension from the factory, and as a result, we find the best drop that still maintains the designed travel requirements of your suspension, is in the 1.25" range. This may not sound like a lot, but I assure you it tightens up the look and feel of your Camaro, just as you want it to! Take a look here on Camaro5 and on our website for the suspension products that we offer. We have a variety of suspension solutions available for customers of all budgets.

If you really want a drop that is farther than that, then I will suggest going with adjustable coilovers. This of course, is a more expensive solution, especially if you choose a manufacturer that has designed more travel back into the suspension. There are a LOT of differences between coilover manufacturers, so just be sure to do your due diligence and research the differences. If you are interested I can provide more information in regards to the coilovers that we (Pfadt Race Engineeing) sells, and help you on your way.

But with that said, I think it sounds like you will really benefit from looking into our Sport Package+. This package was designed to give the Camaro the look and handling characteristics that should have come from the factory! It addresses tightening up the body roll as well as the ride height. This package was aimed at the street driver that really wants to improve handling of his/her Camaro, and may also take it racing very occasionally. Our drop springs firm up the ride without making it harsh and will improve your feel/control in turns. Certainly some upgrades are for race cars, but our Sport Package is designed specifically for use and enjoyment in a daily driver. We take great care to provide a product that is both functional and comfortable. Please take a look at the video I have posted below to see how the car looks and handles vs. stock, and the improvements that were made using our products!

Also, I have provided a link to our Sport Package+, if you are interested in upgrading your swaybars to enhance the handling as well. Let us know if you have any questions! We are here to help. Great screen name by the way.

Sport Package+ link:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67960

Video showing our testing process and handling improvements with the Sport Package:
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
..wheels alone would prob. look OK.(w/o drop). lessee pics..
2010SLVRBULIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Yeah Coilovers! definitely the way to go for ANY kind of lowering. Pricey but you maintain suspension stroke and performance. At the levels you want to go to you would seriously lose ride quality without using CO's and most likely will have to cut the bumps stops...
Old 03-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I just installed coilovers last weekend and I love them. I got a 2" drop and the car feels so much better. Another alternative would be springs and sway bars.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Medieval Peanut

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
..wheels alone would prob. look OK.(w/o drop). lessee pics..

Sure:

Name:  Day Time Wheels.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  Day Time Wheels2.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  59.8 KB
Medieval Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
A 2" drop with those rims would destroy your fenders/tires on a hard turn with even the slightest bump in the road.