Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
CaliMattRS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Manual
Sanding Dash Inserts for ABL 2011 2LT

I am working on my dash ABL install and wanted to ping some of my ideas by you guys.

I spent hours reading the previous threads, the instructions and pictures were great. However I didn't see much in regards to sanding the inserts.

If some pro's could jump on here and give advice on sanding that would be great

I will add pictures to the thread after I get back from work.

First thing I noticed after I took the dash insert off is that the paint thickness is not even across the whole piece. I used an LED flashlight and held it up close to the plastic and one end it clearly shows through (like the ABL on the doors), but as you move towards the passenger side it gets darker. Eventually no light from the flashlight shows through.

A few thoughts: I personally would like it to match the door ABL as close as possible. Since the door ABL shows through the paint, I would need to sand some paint but leave most of it.

Sanding is very complex and intricate, but not hard. You just need to take your time.

Anyone have any good tips for taking off some of the paint but not all of it?
CaliMattRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I used a 3m Spot sanding pen. That did the job. I found the paint code for my Camry was a spot on match if you screw it up. 1B2 Antique Sage pearl.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
CaliMattRS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Manual
Would you recommend sanding everything down smooth and then painting a new thin layer?

I feel like that may be more consistent (assuming you could paint a consistent layer).

I also have a crazy idea of adding a "CAMARO" letting to the dash insert. My ideal placement would be right above the center vents about 10" wide.

To do this I was planning on removing the double sided tape (and clip plastic) in that area, possible even removing 1 of the clips (unless I can fit the letters around it).

Then I would put the sticker (stencil) on the back and sand the letters out. To make this really stand out and glow, I was even considering adding a second light stick and LED to target that one area.

Your input is appreciated, I will update as I progress on this.
CaliMattRS is offline   Reply With Quote