Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Canada Leafs

Old 03-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #26
Rickerbucks

Drives: 2 SS RS,
I guess you could just buy a one day permit from the dealership insurance people. Tell them you are just driving it home for the day.

Then he signs the title to you and you have the insurance binder. Make sure you do all your reading on the process but it really is not a big deal.

If I were you....I'd suggest you try and find a used one....save some money on depreciation. Then you can buy it anywhere.
Rickerbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #27
msqr

Drives: -
Ah, I see. That makes sense. I'm not sure how much cheaper used ones are right now... the ones I've seen are barely any cheaper because it's still the current model year. Besides, with a car like this it's hard to tell how much abuse there's been...
msqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #28
Canadian_Stig

Drives: Highlander Hybrid, Durango, TurboPT
Having a friend who is willing to purchase the vehicle in the US for you is very fortunate, especially if he lives in a sales tax free state, which Oregon is. What that means is you do avoid the state taxes, however, there still could be other "taxes" payable when the vehicle is registered in the US prior to you shipping it to Canada.

However, I did a quick search for you and you a very fortunate to have someone you know who lives in Oregon as it is the lowest state when it comes to the cost of purchasing and registering a vehicle in the US. See article here.

Another benefit of your friend living the US and in Oregon, is he, and as a benefited result, you have the ability to purchase a car anywhere in the US and using his information, he can register the car for you in Oregon for less then a couple hundred dollars. Once the vehicle is paid for, the original copy of the title would be shipped to your friend in Oregon and you (through him) can arrange the vehicle shipped up to the closest US shipping address near the Washington/Vancouver boarder. As the vehicle is being shipped, he signs and UPSs the original title to you. Once you receive it, you fax it down to your nearest US boarder office, 3 days prior to picking up the vehicle. Once the vehicle arrives at the destination, you call your insurance company and put insurance on the vehicle, provide VIN# then drive (with a friend), walk or take the bus to the receiving destination and drive your brand new Camaro to the boarder. At the boarder to take the original copy of the title into the boarder office to get it "stamped" for export. Once the title is stamped drive across the boarder and declare the vehicle for import. At this point you will pay the GST + A/C tax and they will give you a import form. You go home, fill out the info at RIV.ca site and pay their $196 fee and they send you another import form (Form 2). You take this form with the vehicle to Canadian Tire, they check out the car, fill out the Form 2 (which they fax back to RIV) and you take your form 2 with the Bill of sale to your local ICBC office. Pay your PST, licensing and registration fees. Buy a new 2010 Olympic plate. :-) Then drive the crap out of your new Camaro! About 3 weeks later you will get a sticker in the mail from RIV, which you affix to the side of you door sill.

You a very lucky to have someone in a true non-sales tax state who can register the car for you. Think he'd be willing to buy two? I'm actually surprised, someone in these non-tax states haven't made a business out of helping CDNs buy vehicles through them. Even if you gave them a $1000 to register the car for you, you'd still save a bundle and it allows you to basically buy "new off the lot".
Canadian_Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
msqr

Wow, thanks for the information!

I wonder how much I actually save. The difference between MSRP is what I'm thinking so far which is like $8000 for a 2SS. I'd have to pay $196 in RIV and factor in time to go down to the states. I'd probably want to buy it in Oregon so I can test drive it with my friend to make sure nothing's wrong with it and all that. That way I can have the title in person right? The only annoying thing is the 3-day fax and wait. I guess I can fax it from Oregon and wait 3 days? Is there any way to confirm that the US border office has in fact received it? What do you think of this procedure:

- Agree on Camaro I want through friend, get VIN
- Get ICBC Insurance Binder (enough for drive down, 3 day wait, and back up?)
- Drive (with friend?) to Oregon to pick up car (and of course say hi to my friend)
- Fax title to US border office, wait 3 days, confirm received.
- Drive back through border and go through the process written above
Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #30
Rickerbucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by msqr View Post
Wow, thanks for the information!

I wonder how much I actually save. The difference between MSRP is what I'm thinking so far which is like $8000 for a 2SS. I'd have to pay $196 in RIV and factor in time to go down to the states. I'd probably want to buy it in Oregon so I can test drive it with my friend to make sure nothing's wrong with it and all that. That way I can have the title in person right? The only annoying thing is the 3-day fax and wait. I guess I can fax it from Oregon and wait 3 days? Is there any way to confirm that the US border office has in fact received it? What do you think of this procedure:

- Agree on Camaro I want through friend, get VIN
- Get ICBC Insurance Binder (enough for drive down, 3 day wait, and back up?)
- Drive (with friend?) to Oregon to pick up car (and of course say hi to my friend)
- Fax title to US border office, wait 3 days, confirm received.
- Drive back through border and go through the process written above
Thats it exactly....perhaps consider flying to Oregon. Possibly cheaper then driving there and back. When you fax the US border you can call then or send them an email to confirn they got the fax.

Some extra cost to consider is buying it in Oregon versus buying anywhere else in the State. If you buy it in Orgeon the shipping charges to the dealer will be included in th epurchase price from the dealer. if you buy it elsewhere you will then have to ship or drive it from there. As long as you find an Oregon dealer that gives you fair price..I'd do that.

I'm seriously looking for a used one in the States right now. I'm going to have the car significantly modified so I'm looking for a high mlileage car.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #31
Canadian_Stig

Your welcome! Anything to help a fellow Canadian get a new Camaro.

How much you can save? Yes, depending on options it seems "on par" savings for a 2SS is between 8 - 10 thousand. Your realized savings is likely to be lower then this number for a few reasons. When I do my calculations I assume the savings I can find on a US vehicle I can find here, therefore, if you find $2000 off MSRP in the US, you can find an equivalent discount in Canada. Assuming, you were buying in Canada you would likely purchase the vehicle near where you live. Therefore, it'll cost you x amount to pick up the car in Oregon and/or ship the car to the Vancouver boarder. This amount is deducted from your savings. All the vehicles I've imported, see my first post, the savings are after all costs associated including transport, travel costs, taxes and licensing. Average costs I've occurred importing (flights, buses, fuel, vehicle transport, etc) are around $600 (most expensive was the RX-8 @ $1100 because it was shipped up from Florida to Buffalo).

Traveling to Oregon and test driving the vehicle first is definitely "your call" personally, I test drive the vehicle here in Canada and once I've decided to make the purchase I just look for what I want at the best price. The way I see it, it's similar to all those Camaro pre-orderers who put deposits down on the Camaro without ever previously driving it. All vehicles myself or family members have purchased were done so without ever seeing the vehicle in person, the only one purchased new off the lot was the Highlander and it had 1 mile on it when I picked it up. None of the vehicles imported "used" have had any problems. "knock on wood"

Yes, if you can crash at your friends place for a few days you can fax it from Oregon to the US boarder office. It just has to be there 72 hours in advance of importing. Your friend can fax it for you as well. Yes, you can call the US boarder office that you are driving through to confirm they have received the fax. My brother did for his RX-8, I didn't for any of my vehicles I just kept a copy of the fax receipt with the date and time stamped on it but they always had the fax copy.

Yep, you got it! Once you have the VIN call you insurance company and add it to your policy. My insurance company doesn't care where the car is coming from and when they ask for value I just give them the CDN$ price of the US vehicle after conversion to CDN$ obviously, you can use the price you would have paid had you purchased the car in Canada.

When I imported my first vehicle I actually took a bus to Niagara Falls and walked across the boarder. The guy who sold me the car met me across the boarder then drove me to the US customs office, where he gave me the keys and I drove home and he got a ride back with his father in-law. Nothing like walking across a bridge over Niagara falls in February and the boarder guard asking "Why are you entering the US" and my response, "Going to buy car". Needless to say, for a moment she was a little confused. The "process" is a lot easier then your led to believe.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
msqr

I see. Thanks for the informative posts guys.

Canadian_Stig, you mentioned that you can get the same discounts here as you do in the states... Is that really true? I remember when I got my Honda new dealers barely sold it for MSRP - a lot of them would have tons of markups, pretty much like how it is now with the new Camaro. I've spoken with a few dealerships in Vancouver so far and all of them think it's a treat to not be selling it to me with a $1K markup. There are a few import companies selling US imported camaros for as much as Canadian MSRP!! I spoke with a few Oregon dealers and they were willing to sell it way below MSRP (there were a few dealers on these forums that were willing to sell below whatever their cost is called just to get quantity). If I bring something like that up to a dealer here, they'd think I was mad. What are you guys' opinions on this?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #33
Rickerbucks

Also....does anyone know when they set pricing? I wonder if for the 2011 cars they adjust the pricing for the dollar?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #34
msqr

If anything won't US prices go up because of the changing exchange rate (instead of CAN prices going down)? I mean the cars are built here right...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #35
Canadian_Stig

Sorry, a little confusing, the discount on MSRP suggested was just because when I talk about the savings on importing, if I say I saved $2000 of MSRP, they always respond, "Well, you could get $2000 of MSRP in Canada" and ask "It probably cost you a bundle to get it." So where it is very likely you can get a discount off the MSRP price of the Camaro in Oregon, unless you've exhaust all options you can't assume you can't get the same discount in Canada.

On that note, a friend of mine who just got his 2SS Camaro, watched it sit on the dealers lot all winter, it had a sun roof he didn't want, he negotiated with them for approx 4 months when they finally realized it wasn't moving. They gave him $1000 off MSRP and removed the cost of the sunroof from the price as well, so he finally bought it. So I guess depending on the car, options and location, it's possible to get a discount in Canada.

I don't know if 2011 prices has been set yet, however, I highly doubt there will be an "major" adjustments for the exchange rate, history has shown otherwise. Yes, msqr, you'd think that the adjustment would be up on the US price, but GM wants to remain competitive with certain competition so I doubt an increase on the US price in the neighborhood of anything close to what we pay in Canada is out of the question as to even start coming close they'd have to tack on another $5000 to $6000.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #36
msqr

Wow, that must have been an amazing deal. Still way more than US MSRP. See I don't mind paying Canadian prices if it's just that, but the thing is, with all of these cars, they depreciate to US values in no time. Even my Honda, the reason why the price is so low is because the US car was $5000 cheaper.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #37
Rickerbucks

Quote:
If anything won't US prices go up because of the changing exchange rate (instead of CAN prices going down)? I mean the cars are built here right...
excellent point. In theory the US prices should go UP and perhaps the $CDN come down a little.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #38
Rickerbucks

Quote:
Wow, that must have been an amazing deal. Still way more than US MSRP. See I don't mind paying Canadian prices if it's just that, but the thing is, with all of these cars, they depreciate to US values in no time. Even my Honda, the reason why the price is so low is because the US car was $5000 cheaper.
Exactly...indeed...there is the orange car going for auction on Saturday. I have calculated the MAX price I will pay and it is based of my estimate of the USD value + GST + the cost of transportation and importation.

that will be MY best offer.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #39
Canadian_Stig

Even more interesting, especially in the used car market, for myself msqr & Rickerbucks is that both the Ontario and BC governments are bringing in the HST this year. Which means you are going to pay 13% on both new and used vehicles purchased in Canada, before the end of 2010. So where it was somewhat advantageous to purchased a used vehicle in Canada instead of importing because you only paid the PST on the purchase of a used vehicle (saving 5%). Once HST comes into play this advantage is gone.

So as an example, a used Camaro 2SS can be purchased in the US for approx. $34k or ($38420 after tax), where as a used 2SS Camaro in Canada is approx. $45k or ($50850 after tax). Note*: the Canadian price is the only thing I could find quickly on a used Camaro on Autotrader.ca in Ontario. (I'm sure one could eventually be found for around $2000 cheaper).

Hmmmmm, which one makes more sense? A $12000+ difference is hard to pass up.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #40
msqr

That's true. HST will be 12% in BC because PST is currently 1% less than Ontario. It's actually pretty bad here because people aren't used to food at restaurants being subjected to PST whereas in Toronto it is - so that's a 7% jump for a lot of people for eating out.

Digressions aside, wait, so does this mean that if I buy used from the US right now I only pay PST? Like if I get my buddy to buy a Camaro in Oregon and he sells it to me say a week later, if I import it I don't pay GST?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #41
Canadian_Stig

Nope, sorry, you only avoid GST if you purchase a used vehicle privately in Canada. Any new or used vehicle imported into Canada is subject to PST and GST just like if you purchase brand new from a dealer.

This is why I said the used car market is going to be hurt by the HST, once it is in place it doesn't matter if you purchase new or used from inside Canada or not you will pay HST (PST + GST). So one of the main benefits of selling your vehicle privately will be gone and it's likely more people will trade in their vehicles on new ones, since the trade-in value does reduce the HST you will pay on a new vehicle purchase.

Therefore, if you buy any vehicle anywhere in the US and import it into Canada you will pay 7%PST and 5% GST on the US price you paid for the vehicle after exchanging that value from US$ to CDN$ using the current exchange rate on the day of import.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #42
msqr

Dang, yeah that's a lot of money. If you do trade your old car into the dealer, you get HST credit? Do you get that with GST/PST right now? I wonder how much that works out to? I'm currently thinking about selling my vehicle privately but if I don't end up saving that much and lose out at the same time on tax credit....
Old 03-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #43
Canadian_Stig

It's not really a tax credit, but it is a reduction in the amount of tax you pay. For example, if you buy a new Camaro for $45k and have no trade in then you pay PST & GST (HST eventually) on $45k. However, if you trade in a vehicle worth $20k, then you would only pay PST & GST (HST eventually) on the difference between the purchase price and your trade in ($45k (purchase price - trade-in value $20k) so you'd pay PST & GST (HST eventually) on $25k.

That's how it works in Ontario anyway. The current benefit of selling privately is the potential buyer only has to pay PST, so technically you as the seller and the potential buyer could "share" the GST savings & dealer mark-up (profit). So you usually get more $ selling it privately and they save money because they can usually pay you more then a dealer will and don't have to pay the GST. With the HST, one of the benefits is removed. So the higher value of your trade-in vehicle the more beneficial it becomes to trade-in as opposed to selling privately.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #44
Rickerbucks

Sales tax on used cars is absolutely criminal. Immoral. Its fundamentally WRONG that we have to pay a sales tax on used anything. I'm sure some cars end up generating more tax for the taxmana then the actiual original cost of a vehicle over its life.

I'm a law abidding, tax paying, honest citizen but this issue is bulls**t. THAT is why I'm getting my mods done.....amongst a number of reasons....in Calgary
Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #45
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
If you bought a Camaro in the US and brought it back thru Alberta and registered it there, do you only pay 5% GST at the border? They have no PST, right?
hairtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #46
Rickerbucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
If you bought a Camaro in the US and brought it back thru Alberta and registered it there, do you only pay 5% GST at the border? They have no PST, right?
you would only pay GST at the border BUT when I register at ICBC you have to pay the PST.

PST is unavoidable on the car but not the mods.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #47
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Finally some one who knows what he is talking about!

Bravo!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #48
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Found this old thread, looks like there is a $10,000 savings if buying a new 2SS in the US.

Does anyone know if dealers in the states still can't sell to a CND? I have a friend in Washington state, maybe I could get him to register the car first?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #49
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1998 Riviera White
To my knowledge GM still restricts new car sales to Canadians in border states. Used cars not an issue. You might have better luck traveling to a dealership further down into the states. Issue with your friend in Washington registering the car there, he will have to buy to register himself and pay state taxes. Then you will have to buy from him and when imported pay Canadian taxes. Still would most likely save you money. I have imported a few older cars from the states. Last car bought in South Carolina, just paid min. fee for 30 day tags, did not have to pay SC sales tax as I had a Canadian address and was exporting. Each state might be different.
Just keep in mind the time limit and km restrictions GM Canada puts on new cars bought in the states. Sucks, Ford Canada has no such warrenty restrictions for cross border purchases and no dealer restrictions selling to Canadians (at least they didn't last time I checked).
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #50
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
To my knowledge GM still restricts new car sales to Canadians in border states. Used cars not an issue. You might have better luck traveling to a dealership further down into the states. Issue with your friend in Washington registering the car there, he will have to buy to register himself and pay state taxes. Then you will have to buy from him and when imported pay Canadian taxes. Still would most likely save you money. I have imported a few older cars from the states. Last car bought in South Carolina, just paid min. fee for 30 day tags, did not have to pay SC sales tax as I had a Canadian address and was exporting. Each state might be different.
Just keep in mind the time limit and km restrictions GM Canada puts on new cars bought in the states. Sucks, Ford Canada has no such warrenty restrictions for cross border purchases and no dealer restrictions selling to Canadians (at least they didn't last time I checked).
SO I guess I could first look into states further south like u mentioned. See if they will sell to a canuck.

if not then I guess i gotta ask my friend in Washington for a big favour. does he have to keep the car in his name for a certain time period or could he transfer over to my name the next day??

worse case scenario is I buy a car up here, but that $6000-8000 I don't save is really going to cut into my parts I wanna buy
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote