Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Accesory Subwoofer?

So what has been learned about this accessory? Is the car prewired for it already if you have the BA system? Is it a powered inclosure? I'm not really big on the speakers shown in the display but I'm open to change.

What do ya' know?
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
From the pic showed, they have pictured dual MTX subwoofers. Obviously we now know that these pics, aren't accurate in any way. Seeing how it shows a cat-back exhaust with only one pipe vs the true duals both the V6 & V8 will have.

I imagine it'll be similar for the Camaro how it is for other GM cars that currently come available with a subwoofer system. My Cobalt SS Supercharged came with a 10" Pioneer that is attached to the sidewall in the trunk just aft of the rear tire well. It's already pre-wired into the stock head unit.

I imagine seeing that Boston Acoustics will be the equipped speaker system that the Camaro is getting, it'll probably be one of their subwoofers. (maybe not.)

Obviously aftermarket will give you way better sound but re-wiring especially if you get a new head unit will most likely be required.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
i'll be gettin an aftermarket reversed-setup sub system, one ine one out. at least i want to
make my own box if i have ta!

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Hmm... good points. I was never much of an MTX-guy so I'd be willing to bet it would be a BA set-up. That box seemed a little much so maybe it's going to be more integrated into the trunk as you've suggested. Hmm...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 09-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm all for it if it is properly integrated into the trunk. Otherwise, I may be getting a really good single box and tossing that in the trunk.
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

See - that's why I was a little perplexed as to why it was such a large box. I noticed the catback didn't seem to be correct but didn't really figure it could be the same for the subwoofer.

What price would you pay for a subwoofer? Please keep in mind I really doubt it's going to have like 500 watts or something but what do you think is a worth-while set-up and how much would you pay?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
A little info some one asked john cox about the sub box while i was nearby and he said that the subwoofers will be MTX brand, BA was given the chance to bid that into thier initial system but passed on the subwoofers. That was untill they found out that MTX had bid on a system and that they would produce the addon subwoofer. So the actual subwoofers will be MTX's but the enclosure may change or be completely different.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Yeah, even if MTX does have the contract, I'm sure they aren't going to just put let's say 2 12"s in a box and throw it in the trunk....

They may put them on each side of the trunk walls. If they offer a dual subwoofer system. It might just my a single sub. Who knows?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
having worked in the car audio field MTX is garbage, they pound but not for long the suspension wears out fast in them. For serious poundage go with Orion or JL. at least in my opinion those are two of the better brands. though i definatly prefer Orion to anything.

My sub setup will be the Orion 1200w 12's with 2 1200w amps and stick the subs in front of the rear lights pointed in at a slight angle. and dynamat. lots and lots of dynamat
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

I've only had Cerwin Vegas and have a set of VS150s for my home, and those pound like my ears owe them money. They have long suspensions and can go for days. Shoot, they're about 15 years old now...

I'm sure whatever they use will be good
Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Well I have a subwoofer in the basement that used to be in our old Ford Van (dad bought it not me) and was the only part of the sound system in that that wasn't knicked because it was to big and heavy, lol. It packs a hell of a punch though so I'll probably throw that in the complement the BA system.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Im not too worried about bass. With how loud my exhaust will be it isn't going to be even worth trying to listen to the radio
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Im not too worried about bass. With how loud my exhaust will be it isn't going to be even worth trying to listen to the radio
dayum what mods are u plannin on doin and how loud WILL it be???

im thinking of getting JL subs to enhance my music, but i also want the cat back getup. i want to be able to hear an enhanced sound when im not listening to the Camaro purr on cat back exhaust...

Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
Mblock66

Well I am not a fan of aftermarket radio stuff and subs anyway. I put a JL (stealthbox or whatever they were called) in my 1997 camaro. It was cool since it didn't take any space away and I was 20 years old then, but with the radios today I can't see why you would need it louder or clearer. Believe me I am a music freak too, been playing guitar for 17 years so I am really into it. I guess b/c I am a hard rock/metal/death metal fan i don't see the need for a sub. Thats for you techno and rap people

I had a flowmaster American Thunder cat back on my 1997 and it was pure sex. Loud but sooooo sweet. This car I would do LG LongtubeHeaders with maybe no cats and a flowmaster! You won't be able to think it will be so much rumble!

I used to set off car alarms with my 1997 with the Flows.....that was with no headers lol
Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Quote:
Well I am not a fan of aftermarket radio stuff and subs anyway. I put a JL (stealthbox or whatever they were called) in my 1997 camaro. It was cool since it didn't take any space away and I was 20 years old then, but with the radios today I can't see why you would need it louder or clearer. Believe me I am a music freak too, been playing guitar for 17 years so I am really into it. I guess b/c I am a hard rock/metal/death metal fan i don't see the need for a sub. Thats for you techno and rap people

I had a flowmaster American Thunder cat back on my 1997 and it was pure sex. Loud but sooooo sweet. This car I would do LG LongtubeHeaders with maybe no cats and a flowmaster! You won't be able to think it will be so much rumble!

I used to set off car alarms with my 1997 with the Flows.....that was with no headers lol
hahaha thats awesome!
as far as subs and rock/heavy metal go: that is EXACTLY why i want an upgraded sound system! i want a reversed sub setup (creates a punchier sound, less of the deep-end bassy stuff you hear with rap)
i guess im making it my own agenda to blast some Heavy Metal back into the Rap polluted hwys
don't get me wrong, i like rap, just not most of the radio stuff. IMO theres no reason why metal cant be blasted the way rap is?

either way...
noise pollution all the way! yeah!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
Mblock66

I just feel if the bass is overpowered I can't hear the guitar well and me no likes that. My last 3 cars I have thought the stock upgraded stereo was plenty fine. Like for the camaro there will be some 11 speaker monster system I think. Thats fine by me, no need to add more weight to the car
Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #17
lalometalik
killer bAnana

cool!
I, on the other hand, need to feel that double-pedal kick thump on my chest!
yeeehaw!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Quote:
I just feel if the bass is overpowered I can't hear the guitar well and me no likes that. My last 3 cars I have thought the stock upgraded stereo was plenty fine. Like for the camaro there will be some 11 speaker monster system I think. Thats fine by me, no need to add more weight to the car
nine speakers, and will be good for me

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
I agree with you all the way i like both kinds of music i mostly listen to rap but rock when i workout but the rap on the radio is the worst music i have ever heard here and there is some good stuff but most is junk and there is some rock songs out there that do hit pretty hard with a lot of bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
hahaha thats awesome!
as far as subs and rock/heavy metal go: that is EXACTLY why i want an upgraded sound system! i want a reversed sub setup (creates a punchier sound, less of the deep-end bassy stuff you hear with rap)
i guess im making it my own agenda to blast some Heavy Metal back into the Rap polluted hwys
don't get me wrong, i like rap, just not most of the radio stuff. IMO theres no reason why metal cant be blasted the way rap is?

either way...
noise pollution all the way! yeah!
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
My Alpine head unit in my Colorado has a full speed connection for my ipod so it sounds great and iI can control it through the remote. All music sounds better at FULL range which requires a Sub with POWER. The BA head unit with 245 wats is still very bacic power wise. I will definately need more power and subs. I like the Alpine PDX 1.1000 amp for the subs. It actually bench tested to 1145 watts (RMS), not peak. All of Alpines PDX series amps come with an actual bench test report. If it will fit, I will probably fasten a box with two subs to the back seat that folds down. That way when you fold the seat down you have all the bass right behind you. 10's or 12's if it will fit.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #21
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
BTW I have two of the Alpine 1000 watt amps with two Pioneer 10's and another 600 watt 4 way for the 6 1/2's in the doors. I will be ordering a high output alternator if I can when I order on the 13th.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #22
GEARHEAD

Drives: 2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G
Anybody else use Elemental Design subs and amps? I used to spend thousands of dollars on speakers, and usually ended up disappointed. Until I found Elemental Design, they are amazing.

http://www.edesignaudio.com
GEARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #23
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
I will probably fasten a box with two subs to the back seat that folds down. That way when you fold the seat down you have all the bass right behind you. 10's or 12's if it will fit.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #24
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL HEMI 4x4 View Post
Most of the time, I sit here with the wife, reading all these posts while she is doing her ( real work related issues and she hears me "laugh" or say Shit !! )

What I mean by this, is the reality of the new Camaro...., and ALL the associated costs of it, by the very young crowd who WANTS to own one.

Such as...I WANT THIS..... I WANT THAT ...I WANT THIS....I WANT THAT..

This seems like a CHRISTMAS WISH LIST......

I just posted in another thread, (who will get 1 as soon as they can,) and out of 22 posts, as my posting, 22 people have said they CANNOT GET 1 at release time...

I am 54 yo....Retired with a pension....and CAN afford one....Have a HOME PAID IN FULL
Have a 2007 Impala LTZ ( almost paid for )

But I do NOT come on here, just (A WISHING TO EVERYONE, WHAT I WANT) on every thread on this site....

I see some people being post whores, and "patting themselves on the back" for doing so, to get 1,000 posts.....Get a life...besides SITTING on the site posting on EVERYTHING YOU SEE !!

Sorry for my rant.....but it is true....hate to see and hear BRAGGARTS.....

Such as 15-18 y/o or YOUNGER, who cannot get a Camaro for 2-3 years....I understand you LOVE for the Camaro....but .......
im glad to know you care as much as i do about my 1000th post aswell, i take a little exception to you being mad about the post count thing. posting is how you ask questions get answers and generally help people learn things, but really in an information drought like we are having right now, what can you expect, we are putting out a few fires caused by indy and answering questions people have. im glad that you are ready to buy the car as we need as many people as possible to, we need the sales we need GM profitable and im glad you are willing to help with that. if you dont like a thread dont read any more of it. the forum is only as good as what you put into it.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #25
lalometalik
killer bAnana

thanks for your input!
as some of us need help coming to the realization that sacrifices will have to be made, in order to purchase this vehicle we're devastatingly infatuated with

but this comment may be better placed in the pricing segment