Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #51
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
it depends on the power requirements of the hard drive. Some get their power from the usb port.. but if the usb port inst of the/powered type then it wont work (you will need external power).
There's a 12v power outlet in there, though.(that's what I assume the big round thing is...) So it could work that way. This is how I plan on storing music in the Camaro, btw...an 80GB HDD. Forget MyGig.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #52
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
First of all, aren't all USB ports powered these days? Isn't that how the USB device works? Most small in size drives work that way now. I have a 320G external HDD, it gets it's power from the port. I don't see GM putting a port where the device you want to use needs external power as well. This is a 2010 car, not 2001.

Also, I don't care what any of you say, this shit beats the hell out of the one speaker AM only radio we had in the 60's and 70's.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #53
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Yes USB ports are powered, but at 5 volts. That is why you will need to use a 2.5" laptop drive which can run on 5 volts. The 3.5" hard drives take 12 volts.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #54
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
In preparation, you should take advantage of Woot's deal today!

www.woot.com
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #55
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
If its the PAL (personal audio link) that is in their other cars it will work with the ipod.

Corvette, as well as 56 other models under the GM corporate umbrella will soon have a factory device called the "Personal Audio Link" that allows owners to hook up their iPods and play them through their factory audio systems. Rollout of the PAL will begin in October this year and by then of 2007, most GM vehicles should be equipped with the device.

The Personal Audio Link uses existing radio software and is integrated through the radio's digital XM Satellite Radio bank. XM does not have to be activated for the system to work. Similar to FM Modulated systems, the XM integration offers improved sound and contents (artist, title, genre) are viewable on the radio's display. The radio controls on the Corvette's steering wheel will allow drivers to adjust the system volume.

Personal Audio Link Key Features – At a Glance

Seamlessly connects an iPod to the vehicle’s factory installed audio system
Charges iPod when ignition is on
Choose from English, Spanish or French language for function displays
Search and display music by genre, playlist, album, artist
Use seek function to move forward or reverse within a song for up to 15 seconds
Select "shuffle" function to mix music
Sort music using "alphabetical jump" from A-Z list
Sort and select Podcasts and audio books by title
Control volume from steering wheel controls
Personalize text display in dynamic mode (radio display scrolls through artist, album, title, song, time remaining, etc.) or static mode (fixed on one display element such as artist)
Perform fast music searches using high-speed text display technology
The Personal Audio Link will be sold through dealerships for under $160.
How do you know that? This is great if it is true, but I will send you Suburbans if you are wrong.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #56
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
How do you know that? This is great if it is true, but I will send you Suburbans if you are wrong.
The best info i can find on this is from leftlane....

Link

Quote:
08/03/2006, 8:50 AM
Ford News
Apple announces partnership with Ford, GM, Mazda

Apple today announced it has teamed up with Ford, General Motors and Mazda to deliver seamless iPod integration across the majority of their brands and models, making it easy for iPod users to listen to and control their iPod through their car’s stereo system. So-called “integration” is superior to a regular line-in or FM transmitter because it allows the driver to use the stereo controls on the steering wheel or dash to control the iPod (changing tracks, and so on). With the addition of these models, more than 70 percent of 2007-model U.S. automobiles will offer iPod integration. Notably, GM will make the technology available on all of its 56 vehicles.

“We’re delighted that Ford, General Motors and Mazda will support iPod connectivity in nearly all of their new models,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “Now more than 70 percent of 2007-model U.S. automobiles will offer iPod integration, with General Motors alone making it available on all 56 of its models, representing millions of cars and trucks.”

Ford and General Motors will feature iPod integration in the majority of their 2007 models in the U.S. beginning later this year, while Mazda’s entire global 2007 lineup of cars and SUVs will offer iPod connectivity. iPod offerings for Ford, General Motors and Mazda provide drivers with outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod, while conveniently storing the iPod in the glove compartment. Seamless iPod integration also allows drivers to use their car’s multifunction controls to select their music using artist, album, playlist or shuffle songs, as well as to easily skip between tracks and playlists.

GM’s “Personal Audio Link” in detail

GM has also released specific details on its integration package. The device, called “Personal Audio Link,” will sell at GM dealerships for less than $160 at MSRP, plus installation. It will be introduced in October on 2006 and 2007 model year Chevrolet HHRs, already one of the industry’s most personalized vehicles, with more GM vehicles scheduled to be added by the end of this year. Designed specifically for the iPod, GM expects to make the device available on all of its 56 vehicle models – mostly by the end of 2007 – meaning GM will offer the widest range of vehicle applications for iPod integration in the industry.

“We understand that people want to use their iPod whenever and wherever they want,” said Mike Jackson, GM North America vice president, Marketing & Advertising. “We’re thrilled to offer an awesome, seamless digital music experience to our customers across our entire portfolio of great cars and trucks.”

Vehicle personalization is embedded in today’s vehicle purchase and ownership experience. Nancy Philippart, executive director, GM Accessories, believes that iPod and GM vehicle personalization are a perfect fit.

“With our simple, affordable system, our customers can plug their iPod into their vehicle audio system and get what they want – clear, quality sound as well as access to playlists and artists’ names,” said Philippart. “Because the Personal Audio Link was designed specifically for GM vehicles, the level of integration our system offers is unmatched in the market.”

The Personal Audio Link iPod adapter, about the size of a deck of cards and not visible to the customer once installed, uses existing radio software, and is integrated through the radio’s digital XM Satellite Radio band. (XM does not need to be activated for the system to work.) This provides improved sound over FM modulated systems, and better control and display over FM modulated and CD changer interface units.

The system displays song artist, title and genre on the radio display, and allows song selection by genre, playlist, artist and album. In addition, Podcasts and audio books are no problem. Personal Audio Link enables the user to store, sort and select their favorite Podcast or audio book by title. In vehicles equipped with steering wheel audio controls, those controls will also control volume.

Once the device is installed, the customer plugs the iPod into an interface cable in the glove box, where the player can be safely secured and stowed. The device also charges the iPod while the vehicle is operating.

“We know our music-loving customers have been clamoring for a system like this, but we were determined not to go into the market with one unless it was truly integrated, easy to use and affordable,” said Philippart. “I think this system will be music to our customers’ ears.”

* Seamlessly connects an iPod to the vehicle’s factory installed audio system
* Charges iPod when ignition is on
* Choose from English, Spanish or French language for function displays
* Search and display music by genre, playlist, album, artist
* Use seek function to move forward or reverse within a song for up to 15 seconds
* Select “shuffle” function to mix music
* Sort music using “alphabetical jump” from A-Z list
* Sort and select Podcasts and audio books by title
* Control volume from steering wheel controls
* Personalize text display in dynamic mode (radio display scrolls through artist, album, title, song, time remaining, etc.) or static mode (fixed on one display element such as artist)
* Perform fast music searches using high-speed text display technology

Ford’s approach

For the 2007-model year, built-in auxiliary audio-input jacks will be offered on the Ford Edge, Explorer, Expedition, Mustang, Fusion, Sport Trac, Ranger, F-150, Mercury Milan, Mountaineer, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKZ, Navigator and Lincoln Mark LT. The jacks allow customers to bring any iPod or other MP3 player with a standard 3.5 millimeter audio output into their vehicle and play it through the audio system.

In addition, early next year, Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers throughout the U.S. will begin offering Ford’s TripTunes Advanced audio system – an iPod integration feature that provides drivers with top sound quality and recharging at the same time. TripTunes Advanced allows the driver to store the iPod in the vehicle’s glove box and select music using the steering wheel or radio controls – including shuffling songs and skipping between tracks and playlists.

“The iPod has been a huge hit, and we at Ford wanted to develop a way for people to bring the device into their Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle without having to fuss with the device while driving,” said Doug VanDagens, director of Ford’s product and business development for electronics. “What we’ve accomplished with the integration of the iPod into our vehicles is just one piece of a much broader effort at Ford Motor Company to respond to customer trends more quickly.”

Mazda

The manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) is JPY 23,100 (including installation fee and consumption tax) in Japan.

* Connected by a special adaptor to the car audio system, music can be played without compromising the iPod’s clear sound quality.
* Owners can switch to the music menu, play songs at random and control the volume with the switches on the car’s original, factory-installed Mazda audio system.
* If the steering wheel has audio control switches, the driver can control the volume and select tunes without taking his or her hands off the wheel.
* Once connected, the iPod is stowed securely in the glove compartment where it is charged.
* Operation must be done through the audio system, not using the iPod. Track information, such as the artist or album name is not displayed on the audio system.
* The adapter is compatible with the iPod models with a Dock connector including the third-generation iPod or later, iPod mini and iPod nano. It is not compatible with iPod shuffle.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #57
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:

I laugh at your suburbans
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #58
fbird777
SOM WS6

Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
In preparation, you should take advantage of Woot's deal today!

www.woot.com
8GB on Ebay, 14.95 with FREE SHIPPING, just bought two, these would be great for putting a whole DVD on or tons of music:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-8gb-Usb-2-0-...d=p3286.c0.m14
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #59
Ronin7

Drives: 05' Scion tC, 96' Dodge Dakota
I think that this would be a little bit better, because you can carry it in your wallet!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Centon-16GB-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #60
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Quote:
They have been promising it for over a year...but dealers still know crap about it. I asked the saturn dealer for it (I own an Aura) and the GMC dealer about it (I also own an Acadia) and neither could get any info about it.

What I want to know is....does the head unit control an ipod?? To be frank, it's retarded if it doesn't. I know I'll be able to use it to charge the ipod and be able to play the ipod through it, but looking down at the ipod to control it is dangerous, and well...sucks.

I know the usb in the Cobolt doesn't, but how do we find out about the USB port?
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #61
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
I'm thinking laptop external HDD with at least 100 gigs full of music hidden in the center console armrest.
Is it possible just to connect an external hard drive and access the music files with the radio interface? Also do they have any external hard drives that draw power from the USB port? If the Camaro came with the radio/navigation unit from the Cadillac CTS I would select that option.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #62
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Is it possible just to connect an external hard drive and access the music files with the radio interface? Also do they have any external hard drives that draw power from the USB port? If the Camaro came with the radio/navigation unit from the Cadillac CTS I would select that option.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=525
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #63
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Thanks, think it can play straight to the radio?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #64
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Thanks, think it can play straight to the radio?
I dont know for FACT,but it runs off usb voltage.and the way its advertised it should.I would wait and test it before investing in an external HDD.prices for external storage just keep going down,so the more you wait to buy one the cheaper it will be.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #65
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
sorry i did not read all the posts but my question is: where is the usb port going to be located.... in the center console? cause that's where it is on my moms lincoln MKX
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #66
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1ove3 View Post
sorry i did not read all the posts but my question is: where is the usb port going to be located.... in the center console? cause that's where it is on my moms lincoln MKX
Yup , in the center console
Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #67
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
yea i just checked the first page, stupid me lol. thanks though
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #68
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
I dont know for FACT,but it runs off usb voltage.and the way its advertised it should.I would wait and test it before investing in an external HDD.prices for external storage just keep going down,so the more you wait to buy one the cheaper it will be.
Yea I agree, I will wait and see indeed.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #69
swifttal
Man, this guy's a d!*k

Drives: '91 Z-28, '94 BMW 540i
That would be awesome if it turns out you can just bring a thumb drive full of music to the camaro and have it work
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #70
jordan 572

Drives: none
not to start a fight but itunes is better ipods are better in general there customer service is great i have got about 3 new iphones cause i told them they were freezing and what are u going to do with a flash drive unless u have it in your car .no music,videos,photo,games on the go because u bought a flass drive.at least buy a shuffle then
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #71
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
not to start a fight but itunes is better ipods are better in general there customer service is great i have got about 3 new iphones cause i told them they were freezing and what are u going to do with a flash drive unless u have it in your car .no music,videos,photo,games on the go because u bought a flass drive.at least buy a shuffle then
I highly disagree.

I have an iriver player which plays all sorts of music I can download from all sorts of services without using the ridiculously crappy itunes program that takes over your PC, I can play or copy any music on to it I want. It was way cheaper than an Ipod, AND i can use the USB cable to plug into my Camaro and play the tracks using the wheel controls on the sound system.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #72
jordan 572

Drives: none
at least u have an mp3 player iriver is nice but i dont get the flash drive that is like getting a cd and only getting to use it in ur car when u can have an mp3 player that goes with u anywhere
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #73
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
at least u have an mp3 player iriver is nice but i dont get the flash drive that is like getting a cd and only getting to use it in ur car when u can have an mp3 player that goes with u anywhere
MP3 player = hundreds of dollars...

flash drive = $5 to $20.. (for the same music capacity)

Do the math.. for strictly car use its almost stupid to buy something else especially if your practical and not tied to your multimedia 24/7/365
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #74
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
I only use my MP3 Player (not an iPod) while at work through the computers speakers. I'd use it in the car if my car had a jack for it.

I can do both with a flash drive for less than I paid for the MP3 player. (And get a much larger capacity for music with the flash drive. As well as the ability to use the flash drive for information in addition to the music.)

I have only 2 issues with iPod, and one of them was remedied with the iPod Touch (but costs WAY too much).

I hate that iPod doesn't allow you to use the MP3's (they're not technically MP3's in an iPod) in any other device that isn't an iPod.

And I absolutely despise that thumbwheel navigation in the iPods other than the Touch.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #75
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:

I laugh at your suburbans
Lets just say i'm not too scared.. I got a longer range than you. Nice short game though>