Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #29
TorrentRS
No, Not the Pontiac.
 
Drives: Parent's 84 Chevy Fug-lebrity.
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Windsor, CA. Not even windy.
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
dont spend the money on an IPOD or zune...

for comparison..

8Gb Ipod Nano (2000 songs avg) cost $149.00
8GB USB drive (2000 songs avg) cost $17.99

16gb Ipod Nano (4000 songs avg) cost $199.00
16gb USB drive (4000 songs avg) cost $34.99

The math alone says go with the USB... Same song capacity... BUT vastly differnt price..
LMAO..

But now, if only the USB port had a headphone jack!

Isn't that basically what an ipod is? A USB port with a headphone jack?? Isn't that what every mp3 player is? omg. breakthrough.
TorrentRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #30
kanys

 
kanys's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentRS View Post
LMAO..

But now, if only the USB port had a headphone jack!

Isn't that basically what an ipod is? A USB port with a headphone jack?? Isn't that what every mp3 player is? omg. breakthrough.
LOL nice observation! But yeah that pretty much sums it up I suppose. I have never owned an mp3 cause I didn't think they were worth it. But I will get a usb drive, and was wondering if I should just run to like Best Buy and grab one for $20 or get a nicer one?
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #31
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentRS View Post
LMAO..

But now, if only the USB port had a headphone jack!

Isn't that basically what an ipod is? A USB port with a headphone jack?? Isn't that what every mp3 player is? omg. breakthrough.
But see that's the beauty of a CHEAP USB drive... you spend 20 bucks.. and leave it in your car.. no need to worry about replacing it or having your outrageously expensive ipod stolen.

Use your ipod or mp3 player as mobile source of music.. use a usb drive as your cars cheap HD that is updatable from your pc.
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #32
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
dont spend the money on an IPOD or zune...

for comparison..

8Gb Ipod Nano (2000 songs avg) cost $149.00
8GB USB drive (2000 songs avg) cost $17.99

16gb Ipod Nano (4000 songs avg) cost $199.00
16gb USB drive (4000 songs avg) cost $34.99

The math alone says go with the USB... Same song capacity... BUT vastly differnt price..
Depends on the capabilities of the stereo. If the stereo can cycle though the song list and artists in the flash drive then yes it's a waste of money but if not then you'll need a MP3 player if you want to choose which songs play.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #33
Nexus6
More human than human
 
Nexus6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The mouth of hell
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
But see that's the beauty of a CHEAP USB drive... you spend 20 bucks.. and leave it in your car.. no need to worry about replacing it or having your outrageously expensive ipod stolen.

Use your ipod or mp3 player as mobile source of music.. use a usb drive as your cars cheap HD that is updatable from your pc.
Go to fry's and get one,they usually have sales on them and i know that they have a fry's in Phoenix
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #34
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Depends on the capabilities of the stereo. If the stereo can cycle though the song list and artists in the flash drive then yes it's a waste of money but if not then you'll need a MP3 player if you want to choose which songs play.
Its been stated that the computer will be able to manually search any music files in the main directory of the usb drive. IF you use the auxiliary port instead then yes you will need a MP3 player because the auxiliary port is nothing more than an input from another music source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
Go to fry's and get one,they usually have sales on them and i know that they have a fry's in Phoenix
I already have more than too many usb sticks (for work and school).. the one that I will use in my camaro is the followng.. its a 2gb... its TINY and it only cost me $15..

__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #35
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Its been stated that the computer will be able to manually search any music files in the main directory of the usb drive. IF you use the auxiliary port instead then yes you will need a MP3 player because the auxiliary port is nothing more than an input from another music source.
Nice. I didn't know that. Now I have a use for all these 2 gig flash drives that I don't use anymore.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #36
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,344
I can see it now...rather than getting rear ended by someone digging through their CD collection looking for that one CD they really want to listen to, I'll be likely to get hit by someone trying to find a particular flash drive among the various collection of them floating around in the center armrest...

Or it will be someone that can't figure out which way to put the flash drive in the USB port while they are driving...now does it go with the label towards me or away from me? Damn only-goes-one-way USB ports...

BTW GM - Thanks for putting this in the Camaro - I'd rather carry a flash drive with me for music and will likely never put a CD in the stereo now.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #37
SoFlaZ

 
SoFlaZ's Avatar
 
Drives: Nothing special :-(
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentRS View Post
LMAO..

But now, if only the USB port had a headphone jack!

Isn't that basically what an ipod is? A USB port with a headphone jack?? Isn't that what every mp3 player is? omg. breakthrough.
Exactly, all you are paying for in an ipod/mp3 player is a micro chip which most likely costs a few bucks, a screen, some memory, and probably the most expensive thing in it a battery.

I am going to love using the USB drive over cd's. I have a zune and plug it into my aftermarket head unit but its less convenient than using the head unit to control the songs.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #38
fbird777
SOM WS6
 
fbird777's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kinston, NC
Posts: 266
8GB for under $20 FTW, thats at least 1600 mp3's. I have an Alpine deck with USB support, haven't burned a CD in months, no more scratched up discs either.
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,199
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Don't they even make headphones that you can plug a USB drive into?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #40
kashtrey
 
Drives: '02 Chevy Blazer
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Posts: 23
Yep, CD decks will soon go the way of cassette decks in cars, and I for one wont be disappointed.
kashtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #41
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,747
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
isnt there going to be a ipod connect option? so it interfaces into the car?
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #42
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashtrey View Post
Yep, CD decks will soon go the way of cassette decks in cars, and I for one wont be disappointed.
Exactly. No more cd's for me. Been wanting flash drives for a long time now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
isnt there going to be a ipod connect option? so it interfaces into the car?
That's what I thought.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8 pages of 2010 Camaro Info - Camaro "Salesperson Reference Guide" Txturbo Guides, Manuals, Bulletins, Documentation Archive 185 09-07-2010 09:56 AM
6 disc changer standard on SS? topgun1 Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 26 08-21-2008 03:39 AM
Fbodfather says usb port in dash.... shank0668 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 76 07-18-2008 10:32 AM
Microsoft working with automakers. TAG UR IT General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 11 02-23-2008 01:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.