Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Carlos Garza

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Suspension for a SC

I'm installing a SC among other things, and would like to know what do I need to keep my 550 rwhp on the road and under control... what do you guys recommend I do?

Thanks!!
Carlos Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm
hotchkis track pack for starters, solid diff and rear subframe bushings as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
there are multiple levels but here is what I would do at a minimum:

CAMARO DRAG I

Camaro Drag I

The Zeta II CAMARO Platform is an excellent beginning suspension package that can be greatly improved with the magic that Pedders has to offer. Wheel hop is an issue for the new Camaro and this kit eliminates 2 of the major causes of unwanted and un-needed movement. It also improves the strength of your OE front radius rod bushings, allows you to add 1 to 1.25 degrees of positive caster in the from, plus with the alignment kit, you will be able to get your rear tires to a more desirable camber for better tire grip.

Item Code Description Qty Availability
EP1167HD Zeta HD Differential Mounts 1
EP1201HD Camaro HD Rear Sub Frame Repl 1
EP6578 Camaro Fnt Radius Rod bush ins 1 Available
PDUSACAMFULL Camaro Full Alignment Kit 1

the 2 HD bushings area absolute must. The align kit will be required to reduce rear cambers for the best launch and aqdd 1.0 t0 1.25 degrees positive caster to help you keeping in straight. The EP6578 will help firm up the the front radius rod bushings

You still have a lot of movement in the back end with additional OE components:
1. upper rear control arm
2. Both inner and out trailing arm and toe link bushings.

Doing these bushings will offer you some very serious control

thanks
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Garza View Post
I'm installing a SC among other things, and would like to know what do I need to keep my 550 rwhp on the road and under control... what do you guys recommend I do?

Thanks!!
We can relate as we just finished installing a Magnuson on our test car and dyno'd 550 to the rear wheels. Our recommendation depending on your budget would be:

BK001 - HD polyurethane Differential mount bushings
BK006 - HD polyurethane Outer trailing arm bushings
TCA026 - Tubular Trailing Arms

If you can spend a little more, the tubular toe rods (TR002) will also help stabilize the rear suspension when putting those 550 horses to the ground! We will also have rear cradle bushings very soon that will help with rear stability and give you more consistent and predictable launches.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:

Thanks!!
Lots of options for you to choose from Carlos. You'll definitely want to upgrade your suspension from stock.

One thing you might run into after your install is the extra weight causing the car to sit too low. We machined some coil spring spacers as a solution for 2010 Camaros that are too low due to aftermarket wheels, lowering springs or super charger installations.

The aluminum spacers fit between the front spring and the strut hat, creating ½" of lift. Since these spacers are designed to fit the factory strut, they are compatible with most aftermarket spring combinations as well as the stock springs.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:

Thanks!!
Hi Carlos Garza,

Well, as you have seen, wheel hop is a concern with the Camaro chassis. This nuisance is commonly amplified with the addition of power adders, such as the supercharger you are installing. We have found through testing that addressing a few key areas of the rear suspension, as well as the deficiencies in the OEM engine mounts, you can eliminate these problems and keep you power to the ground where it should be!

Pfadt Race Engineering has done exactly that, with the new release of or Solid Rear Subframe Mount kit, Our Trailing Arm kit, our Toe Link Stiffeners, and our Poly Rear Differential kit. The combination of these component upgrades will eliminate the wheel hop, and keep the rear suspension under the correct alignment in every condition: acceleration, braking, and cornering. The deflections in these bushings is astounding to say the least, and in the video below, you can see how our Pfadt upgrades are excellent solutions to this.

We have engineered these products to be stronger, and lighter than the OEM components. We pride our selves in engineering products for the performance street customer, and as a result, the products we sell do not add any excessive noise or vibration in the process. These upgrades still provide the best performance upgrade, with out too much trade off in ride comfort.

Upgrading the OEM engine mounts, is also a MUST for power adders. The soft stock mounts allow power-robbing movement that allows the powertrain to shake, can break parts, and result in poor performance.

I've attached some images of the solutions we provide. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call or PM me! Thanks

Engine Mounts:

Rear Subframe Mounts:

Rear Trailing Arms:

Rear Differential Poly Bushings:

Video of Pfadt testing the rear suspension upgrades:
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

Thanks!!
It looks like we have all decided what you want before we actually asked you how you drive. Let's rewind this back to the beginning.

Carlos,

1. When you say on the road an under control it could mean different things. Are you talking about in the corners, spirited daily driving, at the drag strip? Tell us how you like to drive and where?

2. What wheel and tire package will you be running?

3. After all is said and done, is comfort or handling more important to you?

4. Have you set a budget for your suspension upgrades?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Do solid rear subframe mounts make the ride rougher??????
Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotthat02fire View Post
Do solid rear subframe mounts make the ride rougher??????
Is the sky blue? Is water wet? Everything after market suspension companies do will impact ride quality and noise levels to some degree. The harder the bush material the greater the difference. All suspension companies try to strike the balance between OEM ride and NVH while improving handling. The closer you get to a track setup the less OEM ride quality and the more noise you will have.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Carlos Garza

My 2 brothers and I are the proud owners of 3 2010 Camaros 2SS and we are sending our cars to San Antonio to get modified. This is more or less what we are installing.

Maggie 2300 at around 8 psi.
Methanol kit (either the snow kit or the aquamist)
KB BAP
RPS twin disc
1 7/8" ARH and high flow cats
160º t stat
CAI
Hurst short shifter.
2 dyno tunes one for every day one for the track

We are hoping to dyno over 550 rwhp.

About the tires, we are using the stock tires at the moment, but in the future we are going go with wider rear tires, I would love to go to a 315 rear tire.

About the way I drive, my car is my daily driver, but I still like to drive my car as hard as I can. I usually take my car to the track ones or twice a month ( www.youtube.com/cgarza12 ). My brothers have the same driving habits as I do, with the difference that they don't go to the track.

I would love to be able to take my car to a track day and have it perform great and still be comfortable as a daily driver. I also would love to get rid of as much wheel hop as possible.

About my budget, all I can say is after my first set of mods, I'll be short on cash.

Hope I answered most of you guys questions and thanks for the awesome answers!!!

Carlos
Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
My 2 brothers and I are the proud owners of 3 2010 Camaros 2SS and we are sending our cars to San Antonio to get modified. This is more or less what we are installing.

Maggie 2300 at around 8 psi.
Methanol kit, either the snow kit or the aquamist)
KB BAP
RPS twin disc
1 7/8" ARH and high flow cats
160º t stat
CAI
Hurst short shifter.

We are hoping to dyno over 550 rwhp.

About the tires, we are using the stock tires at the moment, but in the future we are going go with wider rear tires, I would love to go to a 315 rear tire.

About the way I drive, my car is my daily driver, but I still like to drive my car as hard as I can. I usually take my car to the track ones or twice a month. My brothers have the same driving habits as I do, with the difference that they don't go to the track.

I would love to be able to take my car to a track day and have it perform great and still be comfortable as a daily driver. I also would love to get rid of as much wheel hop as possible.

Hope I answered most of you guys questions and thanks for the awesome answers!!!

Carlos
Carlos,

Keep it simple.

Use the rear sub-frame inserts along with the radius bush inserts. These will keep your car under more control when you step on the loud pedal or the stop pedal. A set of Xa coilovers will provide greater control under all conditions along with the serious look your street machines deserve to match the power. It will be more car than most who frequent this forum can drive measured by suspension and RWHP. It will also maintain most of the civil OEM nature of your fresh from the factory Camaro.

If you are on a budget, you can do each of part in steps. I would start with the sub-frame inserts as they are the single biggest bang for the buck a Camaro owner can get from a modifications and the installation is a straight forward with no special knowledge or tools required.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
Old 03-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Carlos Garza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Carlos,

Keep it simple.

Use the rear sub-frame inserts along with the radius bush inserts. These will keep your car under more control when you step on the loud pedal or the stop pedal. A set of Xa coilovers will provide greater control under all conditions along with the serious look your street machines deserve to match the power. It will be more car than most who frequent this forum can drive measured by suspension and RWHP. It will also maintain most of the civil OEM nature of your fresh from the factory Camaro.

If you are on a budget, you can do each of part in steps. I would start with the sub-frame inserts as they are the single biggest bang for the buck a Camaro owner can get from a modifications and the installation is a straight forward with no special knowledge or tools required.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of maybe only doing the trailing arms and the swaybars for now, but your suggestion sounds interesting...
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
With 550 hp at the ground, you have a very respectable amount of hp. To properly control that hp, which was part of your initial request, will require quite a bit of work in the back end. It can be done in steps when the budget requires it.

Controlling your suspension is like adding 50 to 75hp functional hp is is overlooked more often than not.

If you need assistance on a step by step long term goal, we can assist you.

thanks
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Carlos Garza

Thanks for the info guys. I guess it's really useless to have a lot of HP if you have no traction. I like the idea of doing this step by step hopping to have the full suspension done in about 12 months.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I hate to hijack this thread, but i plan on adding a supercharger like carlos. I do not plan on taking mine to the track. My camaro is a weekend car to drive around town and enjoy. I am trying to find that perfect balance. The stock suspension to me rides perfect and i do not really want to alter it too much. I would rather have the handling suffer a little more to save ride quality. I still would like to be able to put the power down. Do you guys recommend the same equipment that you offered Carlos, or should i go a different route.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
I hate to hijack this thread, but i plan on adding a supercharger like carlos. I do not plan on taking mine to the track. My camaro is a weekend car to drive around town and enjoy. I am trying to find that perfect balance. The stock suspension to me rides perfect and i do not really want to alter it too much. I would rather have the handling suffer a little more to save ride quality. I still would like to be able to put the power down. Do you guys recommend the same equipment that you offered Carlos, or should i go a different route.
If you want to put the power down, that means upgrading the suspension one way or another.

We've had very positive reviews on our track pack, both in terms of performance and ride quality on the street and we've certainly been testing it recently!

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
My daily drivers are ridiculously built -- over the top. I like them that way and I have an excuse. I own a suspension company. My cars are also well beyond my driving capabilities so to test that at the limits I hire professionals. They love the way the cars drive and that is good for business.

So how does this apply to you and your question? Start with the low hanging fruit. Put the inserts in the sub-frame and radius bushes. The car will settle down. IF that isn't enough, keeping in mind the test drivers at GM hustled the OEM Camaro around the Nurburring, you can add coilovers and finally bars -- IF YOU NEED THEM.

I wouldn't drive my Camaro without a full Pedders suspension, without my special wheel and tire package, without my ProCharger, without my custom work and actually want more. I just put in the Cadillac of Brakes Upgrade (and we don't make any money selling brakes) because I always want more. Your question is what do you need and I hope I helped answer it.