Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Make it simple, make it low

I've been on here a long time and usually do my research. But recentlyI've been down and out with colon cancer...so its my turn to ask the obvious and let you guys help me out. I want to lower my car 1"....gonna get the BMR lowering springs. I see the best option for upgrading the shocks and struts are the 1le. Can you get buy with just these options or is it better to just buy the whole 1le package? My car is a garage queen and all the mods are simply for my enjoyment. Won't be tracking the car. Thanks all.

Last edited by Avenging Orange; 10-29-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: delete
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The 1LE springs are the exact same spring that is one the standard SS. The BMR springs and 1LE dampers is a nice combination. Besides the cosmetic benefit you also get better handling due to the lower center of gravity and improved spring rates.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Ok, right....thats what I was thinking. So, I get the BMR springs (front & rear) and load the 1le strut and add 1le rear shock and I should be good?
Old 10-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Right....but I was under the assumption the damping rate etc on the actual 1le strut and shock were better than stock SS.
Absolutely, the 1LE dampers are a definite improvement over the standard SS units.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Thank you for the input. When the time comes , you get my BMR order.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
If you have no other mods, and want a handling improvement, then it would benefit you to find some take-off ZL1 or 1LE sways and upgrade your rear lower arm at the same time.

If all you want is a lower car then I don't see why you need to upgrade from the SS struts unless you have a lot of miles on them. It depends on what "your enjoyment" means to you.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
olblue75

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS/RS LS-3
When changing to 1LE rear shocks you have to get the correct shock mount to go with it they are different than the SS mount....
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #8
Avenging Orange

Yes, I'm finding out I need rear shock mounts.
"My enjoyment" is slightly improving my car to make it how I feel it should be. Make the driving experience more enjoyable. Why Im trying to keep it simple.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you have no other mods, and want a handling improvement, then it would benefit you to find some take-off ZL1 or 1LE sways and upgrade your rear lower arm at the same time.

If all you want is a lower car then I don't see why you need to upgrade from the SS struts unless you have a lot of miles on them. It depends on what "your enjoyment" means to you.
It depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve but dampers are a very important part of the equation. One could easily argue that they are more important than the springs. The 1LE dampers have a more aggressive damper map than the standard SS shocks/struts. In other words, they are designed with a more emphasis performance rather than ride quality. If you want one easy no brainer mod to improve handling then sway bars are the answer. However, an across the board approach is going to yield the best results.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
When changing to 1LE rear shocks you have to get the correct shock mount to go with it they are different than the SS mount....
No you don't. The difference is negligible and they both mount the same.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
It depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve but dampers are a very important part of the equation. One could easily argue that they are more important than the springs. The 1LE dampers have a more aggressive damper map than the standard SS shocks/struts. In other words, they are designed with a more emphasis performance rather than ride quality. If you want one easy no brainer mod to improve handling then sway bars are the answer. However, an across the board approach is going to yield the best results.
I know what they are and do, which is why I said if all he cares about is a lowered car then he doesn't need the struts.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
Avenging Orange

But I do care about handling as well as looks. But as the title says...I want it simple. Things I can do in my garage. I want the car to be fun to drive.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #13
Synner

Then do the shocks, do the sways and lower arms. Trailing arm and toe bushes would be nice but not needed from what you've posted. Proper alignment has more to do with suspension performance than most any mod but must be balanced with your driving style and concern for tire wear.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #14
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
I have Hotchkis springs, KONI Orange struts and BMR Sway bars. Sway bars are the biggest difference in driving fun, they keep the car level going through the curves, even with the stock spring and struts. When I added the Hotchkis struts and the KONI struts the ride became extremely firm. My car is a daily driver (88,000), I wish I still had the stock springs and struts. The sways bars keep the nice smooth ride without the body roll.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #15
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
I have Hotchkis springs, KONI Orange struts and BMR Sway bars. Sway bars are the biggest difference in driving fun, they keep the car level going through the curves, even with the stock spring and struts. When I added the Hotchkis struts and the KONI struts the ride became extremely firm. My car is a daily driver (88,000), I wish I still had the stock springs and struts. The sways bars keep the nice smooth ride without the body roll.
Thanks.
Thats why I was asking if maybe I would be money ahead by getting the whole 1le package. Im just trying to avoid getting too involved.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
But I do care about handling as well as looks. But as the title says...I want it simple. Things I can do in my garage. I want the car to be fun to drive.
Then just stick to springs and sway bars. Those are easy, will make a big difference in looks and handling, and will not degrade ride quality much.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #17
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Then just stick to springs and sway bars. Those are easy, will make a big difference in looks and handling, and will not degrade ride quality much.
Ok. All food for thought. Thanks to everyone for their imput.