Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
camaro eth eth

Drives: red
Bad Driveshaft?

Finally think I'm pinpointing my issues with bucking and clunking in lower gears. I've been reading and it looks like it's my carrier bearing. But nobody knows why it fails? Car was stock when it started with 19k miles. Should I just buy a new DS all together or have a new carrier bearing pressed on? And also idk if it helps but my shifter vibrates. M6 2010 ss
camaro eth eth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi camaro eth eth,

We are sorry for this concern with your driveshaft and understand how this may be upsetting to experience while driving. Unfortunately, as Customer Care Agents, we are unable to determine the next best step for your Camaro, but we can certainly get you in touch with the dealership for a diagnosis.

If interested, please send us a private message with your vehicle and contact information.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 01-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
Searchlightt

Drives: 14' SS/RS & 67 Camaro
I don't have any experience either way but a solid driveline always interested me.

Again no actual experience but I've been thinking of this:
https://gforce1320.com/product-category/camaro/
Searchlightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #4
ZL1C7

Drives: 2015 ZL1/1970 GTO 455HO
I have fixed a couple Gen5's with shifter vibration by swapping or re-balancing the driveshaft. Also look close to see if any of the small metal pieces that are used for balancing have fallen off the driveshaft.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS 6M
Personally I would just find a used ds on here or ebay....make sure you get new bolts....peace out...
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH H/F Catted Mids - Doug Thorley axle back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 push-rods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - Prothane motor mounts - Prothane rear sub-frame inserts - BMR Trailing Arms & bushings - 1LE axles - tune by RDP dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block - Daily Driver - 114K!---12.7 at 112 - 1.9 60'--- BFG Comp-2 Street Tire/stock size
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I sell driveline components for a living. I can tell you that the actual bearings in nearly ALL center bearings are garden variety parts from the same "country of origin." (China) No one really makes a center bearing using a quality, ABEC 3, 5 or 7 bearing unless it's a specialty shop that sources their own and makes it custom. But we should...But then, a center bearing would be $500 and a whole stock driveshaft $600.00. See the dilemma?

Mine has 4800 miles on and I think I can feel it going.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
Gstick

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS 1LE
I would just buy a new DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft and be done with it.
Gstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
imaSSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro eth eth View Post
Finally think I'm pinpointing my issues with bucking and clunking in lower gears. ..
Are the symptoms way worse than typical for the M6 SS? My 2014 ALWAYS has bucking, clunking, shudder in 1st/2nd gears driving in parking lots or stop-and-go even when brand new.
Took me a lot of practice to adapt to the finicky drive-train to lower the occurrence.

You are thinking it is the center bearing and not the giubo couplings on each end of the driveshaft?
They are designed to absorb a lot of energy when loaded - like storing energy in a rubber band, huge rubber pucks:

When the energy is suddenly released (during manual shift) the giudo causes the driveshaft to rotate quickly and slight play in the transmission gears causes a clank and shudder.

Due to high HP, these energy absorbing giubo couplings are used to help absorb shock and keep things from breaking versus using a plain universal joint.
Sure hope your center bearing has not failed at that mileage, have to drop the exhaust just to get to it.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote