Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
GearheadSS
Member #63

Drives: Lots
Which amp should I go with?

My Camaro had a 10" kicker enclosed in a stealth box in the trunk when I bought it. Very similar to the Subthump setup. The board in which the amp was mounted is still in the trunk but the amp was removed. All wiring is still there.

What should I be looking at as far as amps go? I haven't looked at car stereo stuff since I was in high school in the mid nineties!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Sour DeeZ

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS RS M6
Rockford Fosgate, best amp's in my own opinion
Full waranty included. Check it out
Sour DeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
cdigiovanni

Drives: 2010 SS2, 03 vette supercharged,
arc audio!
cdigiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
What impedance is the sub? What is the rms power handling? Find out those two things, then get an amp to match. IF you have to have name brand, why not match the sub, get a Kicker amp. Maybe a Memphis. If it was me, it would be a Sundown Audio.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Why would your go with a Sundown Audio? I have never heard of this? Please go on.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
mrray13

Sundown is a high end brand for low-mid level prices. They have proven themselves in the lanes, and Jacob, the owner, is one upstanding guy. Sundown is an internet brand, meaning, they have no brick and mortar dealers that I'm aware of. They easily compete with the likes of JL, RF, Kicker, Infiniti, Memphis and so on, and usually beat them, for less money.

They are somebody who should be on everyone's short list of amplifier choices. They also do subs, liek the NightShade, which is a bad beast. More can be found out here, or for complete car audio knowledge without all the crap, ala caraudio.puke (sarcasm), check out SSA. At SSA, you'll find a forum strictly for Sundown products, as well as several other manyfacturers, including SSA themselves, and a store from which to buy the gear!

Hope that helps!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
AhX

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM\IOM
I Have the MEMPHIS PRD1.500 and JL CS210RG-W3v3-2 in mine and it is louder than I ever could have imagined. I bought the amp used on ebay as at the time it was a bit expensive new. However I have the exact same amp (bought new) in my pickup and both have performed well.
AhX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
seddon

Drives: RED JEWEL 2SS
Sundown is a great amp as well as DLS my 2 favorite.

There is a difference of having loud music lets say 1000 watts but Companies like sundown, dls are all about sound quality not loud distorted music. Now RF amps are good but they are not clean.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhX View Post
I Have the MEMPHIS PRD1.500 and JL CS210RG-W3v3-2 in mine and it is louder than I ever could have imagined. I bought the amp used on ebay as at the time it was a bit expensive new. However I have the exact same amp (bought new) in my pickup and both have performed well.

Memphis PR series, lol, nice entry level amp. You have the big black and chrome ones? I knwo they changed the case again here recently, the older ones are the better ones!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #10
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
Arc Audio, Image Dynamics, Zapco, Audison, Hertz, Focal, there are tons of choices!!

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
mrray13

Wow, other then Arc, which in my opinion is higher up the scale then ID, but lower then the rest, you mentioned some serious $$$ amps. A few of those brands, IMHO, aren't worth the money. But if one has to have a namebrand, those you just listed IAS, don't get much higher, lol!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
with arc and ID would depend on which line you are looking at

from entry level up:

Arc XXD
ID I Series(coming later this month)
Arc KS series
ID Q series (both are very comparable at this level
Arc SE (signature Edition) Very high end.

Audison, Hertz, Zapco and Focal all have starter level amp as well just really depends on your expectations and budget.

JL, Memphis(though I am not a fan), DLS, RF, Kicker, JBL tons of others... have not ever done anything with the sundown stuff. heard it is ok, but not too over the top. (again no personal exp with them.)

good luck in your quest.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
mrray13

Sundown is worth the price of admission. Not just with the product, but with the guy behind it. Jacob is a good guy, and someone anyone can talk to about his products. He's online damn near everyday, lol.

Yours sounds like a nice quality shop IAS, with some quailty stuff on the inside. Those kind of shops are getting harder to find! Nice to see some still exist.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
Waco
Layla

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, LS3, CGM/IO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour DeeZ View Post
Rockford Fosgate, best amp's in my own opinion
Full waranty included. Check it out
Love RF stuff.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
I am in the process of getting something soon as well. Kent has opened up a lot of new ideas that I have.

I am leaning towards this amp...Look is amazing and appears to very good.

zed kronos
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #16
chevyboy81

Drives: 2010 1lt camaro with tapshift
i have two kicker comp ten inch subs in my camaro and i am running a two hundred watt kicker amp with a built in eq. that way i can control it if i want it to raddle or not. had it for a while but paid roughly two hundred for it new. anyway i can help feel free to ask me....
chevyboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #17
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
Now RF amps are good but they are not clean.
RF are good amps and SOME are not as clean as others. Like every other amp company out there, they have multiple different levels and different purposes of amps. Multi-channel amps need to be cleaner than just a simple high power sub amp. If you're just looking for a good sub amp, you don't have to worry as much about "clean" power. If an amp has a THD (total harmonic distortion) of .o5-.1% I wouldn't worry about it. Anything below .08% can't be heard. From .08-.1% going to a sub isn't enough to worry about.

If you just want an amp to push the sub, keep it simple. Go with what you can afford. You should be able to get something that would work for your taste anywhere from $200-$500. With a single 10" sub, I wouldn't go bigger than 200 watts RMS unless you know for sure that your sub can handle it. I'd recommend finding out exactally what you've got before you buy an amp.