Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
LCPLPunk
Slave 1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/2SS
Rear clunk after installing Prothane subframe bushings

Hey guys,

So I installed some Prothane subframe bushings last weekend and today I noticed some pronounced clunks after driving over some potholes/crappy pavement.

During install I torqued the subframe bolts to 120 ft lbs, and today I rechecked the lower shock bolts to 60 ft lbs. I also checked the endlinks for the swaybar and they were tight. What else should I check?

One other thing I noticed was the day after I installed them I went for an hour long drive and the rear end felt like it was wondering a little bit.

Things I removed for the install:

Subframe bolts
Lower shock bolts
Wheels - checked those too, they are good

I was thinking next to check the top shock nuts, any other ideas?

Last edited by LCPLPunk; 01-21-2017 at 11:05 PM.
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 AM   #2
Black_SS10

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Brainstorming here. Are the subframe bushings seated completely in the cradle?
'10 2SS/RS 6M, Blacked out lights/headlight armor, Technostalgia tail lights, MGW short shifter, K&N intake, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Elite catch can, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks HFC, Flowmaster Outlaw catback, VMAX Thottle body, SCTX4/Tuned by DynoSteve, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Pegasus subframe bushings, BMR trailing and toe arms, Z28 upper control arm bushings, FE4/Zl1 rear sway bar, Prothane radius arm inserts, BMR steering rack bushing, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Ridetech HQ level 2 coilovers, 1LE diffuser, SSclones, 20in CCW 505A, Pilot super sports...more in the future.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '73 Camaro SS, '77 T/A
Shock top Nuts, give it a hard burp with a impact gun.
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
LCPLPunk
Slave 1

Ya, bushings are fully seated. I'm thinking the shock nuts as well. I drove the car around after I posted this and the clunks seemed more pronounced in the upper rear area of the car.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Black_SS10

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Did you install different rear upper control arm bushings?
'10 2SS/RS 6M, Blacked out lights/headlight armor, Technostalgia tail lights, MGW short shifter, K&N intake, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Elite catch can, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks HFC, Flowmaster Outlaw catback, VMAX Thottle body, SCTX4/Tuned by DynoSteve, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Pegasus subframe bushings, BMR trailing and toe arms, Z28 upper control arm bushings, FE4/Zl1 rear sway bar, Prothane radius arm inserts, BMR steering rack bushing, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Ridetech HQ level 2 coilovers, 1LE diffuser, SSclones, 20in CCW 505A, Pilot super sports...more in the future.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
LCPLPunk
Slave 1

No. I have them, but decided to not install them this go around.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
If the bolt sleeves in side the bushings are bit to long you will get a clunk , put a jack on the lower cradle and see if there is any up and down movement, you might have to grind down the sleeves few mm to compress the poly bushings if the sleeves are to long , should have 2 to 3mm of bushing past both sides of the sleeve
Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
LCPLPunk
Slave 1

Sounds like quite a bit of work to do that...I can live with the clunk.

And I tighten a few more things down and after a short ride today didn't seem to notice much, if any clunking. I'm hoping whatever I did fixed it.