Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
SSmegatwinky

Drives: I have a 4th & 5th gen camaro
Exclamation Horrible wobble side to side!!!!!! ALMOST CRASHED

I recently changed my toe links for some granatelli motorsorts ones. I got an alignment afterwards and its right on specs besides the Caster for the front right wheel its a bit off. When Im on the free way and theres a turn my cars starts to wobble uncontrollably and almost hit the wall!. It happens when i go above 80 mph. I used to make those turns before way faster than 80mph and never had a problem.

Did i maybe install my toe links wrong? even though im pretty sure i did it right.
Or is it the caster? or anthting else?

2010 SS. Hotchkis Lowering Springs, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, Hotchkis Sport Adjustable Sway Bars, Granatelli Motorsports Adjustable Toe Rods, Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Koni front and rear shocks/struts.
SSmegatwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R
Def something wrong put it up on jack stands and check everything in the rear
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Drives: 2012 1LT RS Victory Red Camaro
Were the toe links you replaced old or did you just want to upgrade? Yeah definitely take it back and tell them to check everything. That wobble is called shimmy, and could be caused by several things. Here are some that follow: bent rim, improper tire, worn suspension parts, worn bearings in wheel hub, or improperly adjusted wheel hub. It sounds like the wheel hub was not adjusted correctly and the nut was improperly tightened and might be loose, or missing a cotter pin. Other than that anyone else's guess is as good as mine. Hope you get it fixed soon.
TheKid13
thekid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
camaropop

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss eforce
Really interested. I have kinda the same problem
camaropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
SSmegatwinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid13 View Post
Were the toe links you replaced old or did you just want to upgrade? Yeah definitely take it back and tell them to check everything. That wobble is called shimmy, and could be caused by several things. Here are some that follow: bent rim, improper tire, worn suspension parts, worn bearings in wheel hub, or improperly adjusted wheel hub. It sounds like the wheel hub was not adjusted correctly and the nut was improperly tightened and might be loose, or missing a cotter pin. Other than that anyone else's guess is as good as mine. Hope you get it fixed soon.
TheKid13
there was nothing wrong with my old ones. just wanted to upgrade to have the adjustment options. im going to lift it and check it out. thanks

2010 SS. Hotchkis Lowering Springs, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, Hotchkis Sport Adjustable Sway Bars, Granatelli Motorsports Adjustable Toe Rods, Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Koni front and rear shocks/struts.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
If you have adjustable rear toe links, I had this happen, they didn't tighten the adjustable part well, the toe then has slop to it and makes it feel really loose as the rear wheel moves outward a little, essentially plowing outward....make sure the rear toe is set right and then tighten the adjustable part really tight...or as I did, throw the adjustable toe rods out...
Old 11-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
SSmegatwinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
If you have adjustable rear toe links, I had this happen, they didn't tighten the adjustable part well, the toe then has slop to it and makes it feel really loose as the rear wheel moves outward a little, essentially plowing outward....make sure the rear toe is set right and then tighten the adjustable part really tight...or as I did, throw the adjustable toe rods out...
Thank you, that sounds like it might be it.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Keep us posted I would like to know what the culprit was.

--TheKid13
Old 11-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
SSmegatwinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid13 View Post
Keep us posted I would like to know what the culprit was.

--TheKid13
alright so i went to get my alignment checked, made sure the toe links were good, and i got my tires rebalanced. NOw i just have to test drive it. ill let you guys know.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
SSmegatwinky

still have the bad wobble!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Still??? So do you know if they checked the wheel hub assembly and wheel hub nut? Keep on them. Its best if you get it fixed before 30 days so they can't try to claim excessive wear. Not that they will, but always better to be thorough.

--TheKid13
Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Check your upper control arm bushings. Jack each rear tire up under the lower control arm and try to move the tire around with force. You will find the culprit this way. I've done suspension work for along time. You have to load the spring to check for slack in bushings and ball joints. If you don't the spring will push all the slack in one direction and you aren't strong enough to overcome it to really tell what's what.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #13
SSmegatwinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Check your upper control arm bushings. Jack each rear tire up under the lower control arm and try to move the tire around with force. You will find the culprit this way. I've done suspension work for along time. You have to load the spring to check for slack in bushings and ball joints. If you don't the spring will push all the slack in one direction and you aren't strong enough to overcome it to really tell what's what.
Alright ill give that a shot

Old 12-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Just wondering how it went so far? Hope everything is a ok.

--TheKid13