Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
srtclg1007

Drives: 08 C6 NPP, MZ6 436hp
Exclamation V8=20% of Production/Dealers to get a display Model

This is an email that my dealer sent me.... Let me know what you guys think. Ive Bolded the good parts.

Spencer,Good morning. Below is an email that I got direct from GM on the Camaro. I will keep you posted as information becomes available.

Dean Pendergrass
Commercial/Fleet Sales Manager
Rhodes Chevrolet
2800 Alma Highway
Van Buren, Arkansas 72956

Phone (479)474-4000 ext 214 or (800)601-2108 ext 214
Mobile (479)420-6645
Fax (479)410-1076

Dean,

I was at a meeting in Dallas last week and they told everyone that they would start accepting sold orders "mid-October" and that they were going to try to get every dealer 1 unit first. That is some good news. Production does not start till February so I wouldn't imagine you would have any allocation on consensus till November / December time frame. V8 models are only going to be 20% of producton so it may be hard to get a V8 when production starts. Still the V6 is 300hp and 90hp more than mustang. There has not been any other information to come out other than that at this time. I will let you know more as it is available.

Jeff Cantu
General Motors Corp.
District Sales Manager - Ft. Smith, AR
713-724-4142 Cell
1-800-211-3611 Box 8172 Voice Mail
jeffrey.cantu@gm.com
srtclg1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
We heard it was more like 30% from someone else on this site so it isn't far off. However 20% seems a bit low for initial number count of the V8..
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I can accept this number. Maybe this is just the minimum. If people order V8s, GM will not make the mistake of limiting the number. I would expect actual production to come out higher than 20%. This is probably just an estimate based on market trends.

As usual, I want fbodfather to back this up before I take it for face value.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
srtclg1007

Drives: 08 C6 NPP, MZ6 436hp
I just hope that the dealers get a display model in soon. I think that would be a marketing plus. I cant wait to see this thing in person.
srtclg1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Saturn tried this when the Sky came out, but so many dealers wanted to sell their display model that GM backed off and let them sell them. My Dealer's display car came in with mine, and one of the Salesmen bought it.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
GM made the same mistake on the G8. They had V6's rotting in the port, and V8's were sold out for a while. Let's do it again!

Or maybe, the current gas prices will change that. 20% V8's is low no matter what.

The customer has learned some V6's are minimally more fuel-efficient than their V8 optioned brothers. Just check the EPA mileage numbers, not the number of cylinders.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
well this time we dont have to import the cars for Aussieland
Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
To me, it's easier to rationalize getting more V6s out there than V8s, at first, just do mostly to fuel prices and the economy. I think it may help them look "greener" too by not pushing as hard on V8s. I could care less about economy (within reason) but I think the climate of the country could support either the 20 to 30% you guys are seeing.

Kinda' makes sense to me...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
camaro5

True that, they should be able to react to demand quicker than Australian built vehicles.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
i'll be ordering mine(in the spring), so i'll have to wait either way
wow, they're really emphasizing them V6s!

thanks for the post!

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
v6 vs v8 =+3 mpg...not want v6.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
Is that really the only difference in MPG's? For city and highway?

Hmm... I may just consider getting an SS then...

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me one bit if true. It's going to be hard to get the Camaro especially at launch...

Hey you want to hear something funny? My gf was at a chevy dealer today and she had a convo with the salesman, he said that the SS isn't coming out until a year after launch! man a lot of these sales guys don't know what they are talking about...
Old 10-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
camaro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Is that really the only difference in MPG's? For city and highway?

Hmm... I may just consider getting an SS then...
Stop making sense.

V8 must be thirsty gas-guzzler, and V6 will be economy car - NOT!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Stop making sense.

V8 must be thirsty gas-guzzler, and V6 will be economy car - NOT!
Hi Everyone

Not sure if anyone remembers that the posting of 26 MPG for the V6 and 23 MPG for the V8 was based on the Auto Transmission. However, it is usually well known that Manual Trans offer slightly better fuel economy than Automatics... although it is usually up to the driver to find the best gears. My point is that the V6 with Auto has a feature which essentually turns it into a 3 Cyl. when powere is not required and the V8 ( L99 ) becomes a 4 cyl. for the same reason. This practice was and currently is used on the Impala 3.9 V6 and SS 5.3 V8 and has shown to greatly improve overall fuel economy in these vehicles. If that is the case with the camaro too... are the estimates posted of 26 and 23 taking into this account this feature or are they just figuring that everyone will be driving the pedal to the metal way?
Anyone have an idea, please let me know! Thanks :fighting0040:
Attached Images

RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Really dig that sig pic! Hopefully the preorders will show they need to be more like 60/40. Im going ss nothing wrong w the v6 just if Im gonna go Im going all in I mean maybe if it got 15 mpg more lol
Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #16
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Our district rep quoted HP numbers back in June. I to Scott about this, and he told me NOT to quote what was said at our district meeting. (because they were wrong)

I told Scott we were told October 15th as the order day, the Friday BEFORE Indy, at a Chevy District meeting in Chicago. He said it will be October 13th.

I don't take any district news too seriously any more.....I take TWO thing seriously.

Scott Settlemire
and what is finally posted on GM Dealerworld & our Chevy launch website.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDude View Post
Hi Everyone

Not sure if anyone remembers that the posting of 26 MPG for the V6 and 23 MPG for the V8 was based on the Auto Transmission. However, it is usually well known that Manual Trans offer slightly better fuel economy than Automatics... although it is usually up to the driver to find the best gears.
Not necessarily true anymore...if you poke around a bit, I think you'll find more than a couple car lines where the auto is actually more fuel efficient than the manual. Mostly, because it was programmed to shift that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDude View Post
My point is that the V6 with Auto has a feature which essentually turns it into a 3 Cyl. when powere is not required and the V8 ( L99 ) becomes a 4 cyl. for the same reason. This practice was and currently is used on the Impala 3.9 V6 and SS 5.3 V8 and has shown to greatly improve overall fuel economy in these vehicles. If that is the case with the camaro too... are the estimates posted of 26 and 23 taking into this account this feature or are they just figuring that everyone will be driving the pedal to the metal way?
Anyone have an idea, please let me know! Thanks :fighting0040:
Unfortunately, that cylinder cut-off feature (known as AFM) is not on the V6 in this car. GM's version relies on pushrods to work, which the 3.6L does not have; it's DOHC. You're right in that the V8 does have that feature, though.

And the fuel economy estimates that GM put out are not EPA numbers. We were told that the V6, after EPA testing, would probably show 27mpg hwy -- but nobody knows for certain...because either they haven't been tested, or the numbers aren't released, yet. But it's safe to assume that the numbers were found during average driving. (not granny-slow, but not raceway-habits, either)
Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I can accept this number. Maybe this is just the minimum. If people order V8s, GM will not make the mistake of limiting the number. I would expect actual production to come out higher than 20%. This is probably just an estimate based on market trends.

As usual, I want fbodfather to back this up before I take it for face value.
I Second that.

If I recall correctly GM has stated before that their would be penlty V8s. I'll see if I can find it.
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #19
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
20% on first batch of V8's. I smell dealer mark up over MSRP. shit, shit, shit, shit.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
I think it'll be more like 30%, but we'll see. There will be enough to go around, I think.
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #21
zforce

Drives: 2005 Nissan MAX
Irequested a 50k payout of my 401k to purchase a ss/rs model with all the bells and wistles. I need to know if there are fare dealers around chicago that I can trust so I can get one. I wouls like to get it on my b-day in april if possible. anyone here can help me out?
zforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #22
Ry4nVan

Drives: Currently (Toyota Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zforce View Post
Irequested a 50k payout of my 401k to purchase a ss/rs model with all the bells and wistles. I need to know if there are fare dealers around chicago that I can trust so I can get one. I wouls like to get it on my b-day in april if possible. anyone here can help me out?
I hope you're in a decent tax bracket now or else that may hurt. Or was it already taxed? I use TSP in the military. Not sure how the 401K works.
Ry4nVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #23
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
What happened to "there will be plenty for everyone." Eventually there will be plenty for everyone, but not at first.

This will just give local dealerships even more reason to raise the price "market adjustment."

As mentioned, GM did the same thing with the G8. The dealerships got stuck with a bunch of V6 models and customers walked off the lots because they wanted the G8 GT. Then GM tried to hurry up and flood the market with G8 GTs. But it was too late.
Now G8 GT's are lined up on lots all over the country without buyers.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The V6 was always going to be the bigger seller and it will be the car that GM needs to sell because the SS will sell itself. Will it be easy to get? no. But GM will ramp up production to meet the demand if its there. You are just going to have to get your car in april or possibly may instead of march.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #25
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not necessarily true anymore...if you poke around a bit, I think you'll find more than a couple car lines where the auto is actually more fuel efficient than the manual. Mostly, because it was programmed to shift that way...

Unfortunately, that cylinder cut-off feature (known as AFM) is not on the V6 in this car. GM's version relies on pushrods to work, which the 3.6L does not have; it's DOHC. You're right in that the V8 does have that feature, though.

And the fuel economy estimates that GM put out are not EPA numbers. We were told that the V6, after EPA testing, would probably show 27mpg hwy -- but nobody knows for certain...because either they haven't been tested, or the numbers aren't released, yet. But it's safe to assume that the numbers were found during average driving. (not granny-slow, but not raceway-habits, either)

Thanks for correcting me on the V6... thought both had AFM feature ! Perhaps, I may opt for the V8 instead !

Anyways, thanks for correcting me!
Attached Images

RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote