Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
mackvenom1

Drives: 2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4M
Send a message via AIM to mackvenom1
Question Can I change XM receiver to Sirius?

Hey guys. My current car comes with Sirius radio, to which I subscribe. The sound quality is excellent, and I am also familiar with all of the channels (a minor point).

I know the 2010 Camaro comes with XM connectivity. My parents both drive Hondas, which I am familiar with. Both have XM radio. They cut out frequently (clouds, overpasses, etc.) and the sound quality isn't that good.

I know that XM and Sirius are essentially the same company now, so my question is, can the Camaro be modified to receive Sirius radio WITHOUT buying a new, aftermarket Sirius receiver that you plug into the lighter or something? Can the stock radio be re-programmed somehow?
mackvenom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Aren't Sirius and XM the same company now?

As far as I'm aware, you cannot change out the XM receiver with a Sirius one.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I can't remember who did but its basically been confirmed the XM receiver is new and integrated in this car and can't be replaced with any of the Sirius replacement modules.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
xm and sirius is the same,they murged.they advertise as xm on sirius.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
sirius bought xm
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
xm and sirius is the same,they murged.they advertise as xm on sirius.
They maybe under the same ownership, but the DJ's and channels are different and you cant listen to XM stations on Sirius receivers or Sirius on XM receivers. I know on Sirius you can get a subscription to "The Best of XM" which are their most popular stations. My guess is that you might be able to get a subscription to the "Best of Sirius".
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
mackvenom1

The businesses are the same...

But the fact that the channels are different if you have XM versus Sirius, or that all channels aren't available across both, indicates that there are TWO separate signals still for XM and Sirius. There are two satellites--one for each feed.

I was wondering if my car could receive the Sirius *signal* instead of XM *signal* because XM blows in comparison to Sirius. It's a satellite receiver, how hard could it be to modify or change it?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
They merged but the technology for XM and Sirius radios have not.

You still need to get "The Best of XM" if you have Sirius or "The Best of Sirius" if you have XM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
MacTruck

Drives: Camaro RS
Do what I did. Got a mobile adapter for my sirius radio and plugged it into the cig lighter, audio input and threw the antenna on the dash. Works great, kind of. I am getting some static through the audio plug in the car. I think its loose or something. Gotta have it looked at.
MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2010 1SS RS CGM
I heard the signal quality was better on Sirius too...(less compression)

2012 2LS - I'm back in BLACK!
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackvenom1 View Post

But the fact that the channels are different if you have XM versus Sirius, or that all channels aren't available across both, indicates that there are TWO separate signals still for XM and Sirius. There are two satellites--one for each feed.

I was wondering if my car could receive the Sirius *signal* instead of XM *signal* because XM blows in comparison to Sirius. It's a satellite receiver, how hard could it be to modify or change it?
No, antenna's are different, the box that configures the signal is different, and you cant just swap out the box. I had asked about this as my car was also "XM ready" I just bought a Sirius receiver instead. And dealt with it. You cant use the buttons on the radio to control the content either even if you buy a new box.

Like I said, check with XM and see if they have a "Best of Sirius" subscription option.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I think you can subscribe to Sirius channels through XM though.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
mackvenom1

Okay, I'm glad you guys are reading my original question, false hahaha.

1) Yes, I know that Sirius and XM are the same company . Several of you have backed me up on that.

2) Yes, I know I can get channels via the "Best Of" packages. I'm not worried about the 3 or 4 channels I won't get on XM.

I am worried about the SOUND QUALITY. Sirius is simply better than XM. I don't have to worry about interference or not getting a signal every time I pass under an overpass or cloud. I can blast the music without getting static/buzz/blaring.

I do NOT want to buy an aftermarket adapter and plug it into my cigarette lighter and just throw it on the dash . I said that specifically. I want my current audio system to receive the Sirius SIGNAL instead of the XM SIGNAL. Who or how can I program that?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
No, antenna's are different, the box that configures the signal is different, and you cant just swap out the box. I had asked about this as my car was also "XM ready" I just bought a Sirius receiver instead. And dealt with it. You cant use the buttons on the radio to control the content either even if you buy a new box.

Like I said, check with XM and see if they have a "Best of Sirius" subscription option.
Quote:
Okay, I'm glad you guys are reading my original question, false hahaha.

1) Yes, I know that Sirius and XM are the same company . Several of you have backed me up on that.

2) Yes, I know I can get channels via the "Best Of" packages. I'm not worried about the 3 or 4 channels I won't get on XM.

I am worried about the SOUND QUALITY. Sirius is simply better than XM. I don't have to worry about interference or not getting a signal every time I pass under an overpass or cloud. I can blast the music without getting static/buzz/blaring.

I do NOT want to buy an aftermarket adapter and plug it into my cigarette lighter and just throw it on the dash . I said that specifically. I want my current audio system to receive the Sirius SIGNAL instead of the XM SIGNAL. Who or how can I program that?
K how about you read my thread??

1.) IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR THE XM ANTENNA TO RECEIVE A SIRIUS SIGNAL

2.) IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR THE XM RECEIVER TO DECODE THE SIRIUS SIGNAL

Hope this clears is up.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camar0wn3d View Post
I heard the signal quality was better on Sirius too...(less compression)
sirius uses 3 satelites, I believe Xm uses 1. Thats why Sirius is better quality. With that said, I have neither. Not a fan.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Interesting discussion with Chevy Rep

I called the Renaissance Center and ask to speak to a Chevy service Rep. I told her that I couldn't get a definitive answer re: warranty issues and she obliged to try to answer them. I told her I was getting a Camaro and was interested in potentially having a couple of aftermarket GM parts installed at the time of purchase (air box, shorty pipes, et. al.) but did not want to void the factory warranty.
Here was her answer:
The installation of "Genuine GM Parts" by a GM dealer will not void the warranty. The part should be labeled "Genuine GM..." in the catalogue and/or probably on the box. She then warned, there are parts in a dealers GM catalogue that are not "Genuine GM..." and they have the risk of voiding the warranty. An example she gave is that there are aftermarket exhaust systems sold and installed by GM Dealers and were they to result in an engine failure, the repairs could be exempted from the warranty.
Her last caveat seemed obvious but it's worth noting. She said that even if a part is "Genuine GM..." it could void the warranty. The example she gave was the installation of a GM racing engine in a stock Camaro. Dealers are told they should tell the buyer that this part could void the drivetrain warranty but she knows they don't always do it and if you have a question call a GM factory rep and note the reps name, when you called etc., in case there is an issue.
It's all clear as mud but I feel better informed than I was after talking to a local dealers service manager.

I AM A MORON. MEANT TO POST AS A NEW THREAD

Last edited by Fogey; 03-22-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Stupidity
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
I called the Renaissance Center and ask to speak to a Chevy service Rep. I told her that I couldn't get a definitive answer re: warranty issues and she obliged to try to answer them. I told her I was getting a Camaro and was interested in potentially having a couple of aftermarket GM parts installed at the time of purchase (air box, shorty pipes, et. al.) but did not want to void the factory warranty.
Here was her answer:
The installation of "Genuine GM Parts" by a GM dealer will not void the warranty. The part should be labeled "Genuine GM..." in the catalogue and/or probably on the box. She then warned, there are parts in a dealers GM catalogue that are not "Genuine GM..." and they have the risk of voiding the warranty. An example she gave is that there are aftermarket exhaust systems sold and installed by GM Dealers and were they to result in an engine failure, the repairs could be exempted from the warranty.
Her last caveat seemed obvious but it's worth noting. She said that even if a part is "Genuine GM..." it could void the warranty. The example she gave was the installation of a GM racing engine in a stock Camaro. Dealers are told they should tell the buyer that this part could void the drivetrain warranty but she knows they don't always do it and if you have a question call a GM factory rep and note the reps name, when you called etc., in case there is an issue.
It's all clear as mud but I feel better informed than I was after talking to a local dealers service manager.
I am kind of confused by the derailment of this post to the OP's original question.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
I am offcially stupid

Meant to post my post as a new thread, not a reply
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
mackvenom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
K how about you read my thread??

1.) IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR THE XM ANTENNA TO RECEIVE A SIRIUS SIGNAL

2.) IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR THE XM RECEIVER TO DECODE THE SIRIUS SIGNAL

Hope this clears is up.
I did read it, holmes. I'm not trying to use the stock XM receiver or antenna to receive the Sirius signal.

I'm hoping that there's a way to mod it, install something else, buy something, pay somebody, rub a magic lamp, etc, to enable Sirius radio through my car's radio.

To say there isn't a box to do this is false. Look here: http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7870

The XM antenna HAS BEEN PROVEN to be able to receive the Sirius signal, just at a 50% data loss because XM radio is at 2gHz instead of the 4gHz that Sirius uses.

I appreciate the help, but if ya don't know, don't raise the flag and muddy the thread for those who are equally curious to know!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
irocnroll

Quote:
I did read it, holmes. I'm not trying to use the stock XM receiver or antenna to receive the Sirius signal.

I'm hoping that there's a way to mod it, install something else, buy something, pay somebody, rub a magic lamp, etc, to enable Sirius radio through my car's radio.

To say there isn't a box to do this is false. Look here: http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7870

The XM antenna HAS BEEN PROVEN to be able to receive the Sirius signal, just at a 50% data loss because XM radio is at 2gHz instead of the 4gHz that Sirius uses.

I appreciate the help, but if ya don't know, don't raise the flag and muddy the thread for those who are equally curious to know!
I do know as I worked with mobile audio for many years and people wanted to do this. Your question has been answered and you CANNOT MAKE IT WORK WITH YOUR CAR RADIO.

If you want Sirius built into your car, purchase a Ford.

And you link is for cars that were able to have Sirius in them. That was from when Sirius and GM had a partnership. This has since changed. So again, There is not a box to do this.

kthanx
Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:

THe music channels have been merged and are identical, the only channels you switch between XM and Sirius and you only get with the "Best Of" packages are some of the talk and sports related channels. Otherwise while the numbers are different the channels are all the same. That said there are definitely two DIFFERENT signals, and yes I agree Sirius loses signal far lss than XM.

Quote:

You are correct, that site even sells an XM antenna adaptor. However that converter box won't work with our cars. I recall from somewhere in the audio forum that either there is a new box created for the Camaro or that its integrated into the head unit. Either way, its not happening.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #22
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I would much rather take my money and put it into an ipod and songs that I want to hear then pay for radio I can get for free. Maybe it's just me but even at the lowest $9.99 a month I just don't think it's worth it. Maybe if you live in an area with crap for radio stations or you like to listen to the same AM DJ and drive cross country all the time then it's worth it to you, but for me I don't think so. That and who knows how much longer they will be around for. They merged because they were both hemorrhaging money left and right and bleeding subscribers. I would hate to invest in a multi year contract or even a lifetime for them to fold on me and take my money.

But clearly there are those of you that would disagree and I'm cool with that. I would say you could hook up a receiver like any other car. You could even connect it to the cars line in in the center console to avoid those RF emitters.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #23
Bryan2230

Drives: 2014 Red Hot Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Hey guys. My current car comes with Sirius radio, to which I subscribe. The sound quality is excellent, and I am also familiar with all of the channels (a minor point).

I know the 2010 Camaro comes with XM connectivity. My parents both drive Hondas, which I am familiar with. Both have XM radio. They cut out frequently (clouds, overpasses, etc.) and the sound quality isn't that good.

I know that XM and Sirius are essentially the same company now, so my question is, can the Camaro be modified to receive Sirius radio WITHOUT buying a new, aftermarket Sirius receiver that you plug into the lighter or something? Can the stock radio be re-programmed somehow?
I contacted TSSRadio, anything Satellite radio related they are the ones to talk to, I posted the exact quote somewhere on the forums, but i'm not exactly sure where.

UPDATE: OK, found it, This is exact quote from Customer Service at TSS Radio:

"Hi Bryan -

We sent an interface set out to a customer and the customer tried to connect it. Unfortunately it is our understanding that the 2010 Camaro has an internal XM tuner in the radio and there is no way to convert the vehicle.

If we can help you further, feel free to contact us."

Sorry dude, sounds like its a plug and play or bite the bullet and keep XM. I bit the bullet and kept XM, even though I'm paying 2 full subscription fees now (1 for Sirius, 1 for XM).

Former owner of a 2010 Victory Red 2LT/RS
Delivered: September 11, 2009
Current owner of a 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
Delivered: October 24, 2013

Last edited by Bryan2230; 03-22-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Bryan2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2230 View Post
I contacted TSSRadio, anything Satellite radio related they are the ones to talk to, He said that the XM is integrated into the head unit, and they have no way of converting the XM to Sirius in the 2010 Camaro.

I posted the exact quote somewhere on the forums, but i'm not exactly sure where.

UPDATE: OK, found it, This is exact quote from Customer Service at TSS Radio:

"Hi Bryan -

We sent an interface set out to a customer and the customer tried to connect it. Unfortunately it is our understanding that the 2010 Camaro has an internal XM tuner in the radio and there is no way to convert the vehicle.

If we can help you further, feel free to contact us."

That was the wording I was trying to get out.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #25
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
I would be VERY interested in converting XM to Sirius. As previously stated, Sirius and XM are the same company, but they're still run as two different brands with different technology. I've been a Sirius customer for years, and I'd hate to lose my special pricing because I have to cancel and subscribe to XM--then pay MORE to recieve Howard Stern!

I think we just need to see companies like Metra and LTL get involved. Everyone said you couldn't change the Integrated stock head unit when the 2010's came out, but both of those companies now offer replacement head unit bezels and wiring kits.

This isn't magic, it's just electronics. The 2010 Camaro has an internal XM tuner in the radio, but who's to say that can't be removed, rewired, replaced etc? If the demand is there, it'll happen.