Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
silver fox
camaro distributor

Drives: 2010 ss/rs
My Solo Exhaust review

Finally made a decision and went with the Solo system. It was reasonably priced and was quick shipping. The install went really quick, maybe took a n hour. As for the sound, it's just slightly louder at idle, but sounds awesome under full throttle. Howwever, at about 2000 rpm I am getting a droning sound, worse when under light throttle..or if I have the car full. Had to make an emergency trip last week, loadedc my wife and 2 kids in the car and drove 800 miles one way...i found that I had to either dirve slower than i wanted or faster as they were complaining of the "drone" in the car...again at 2000 rpm (approx 80 mph) has anyone else experienced this?? I researched the heck out of this and was led to beleieve this system was "drone" free...last system I bought was a Corsa on a 2003 vette and it was much better ie no droning..also get alot of popping on deceleration...but I can live with that!
silver fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I don't have the SOLO but I have a similar setup (resonated X-pipe and muffler delete). Luckily I don't drive very much on the highway but the last time I did I remember there was a certain RPM/MPH that I seemed to have some drone. Not that big a deal to me because as you said you just slow down a little or speed up a little to get rid of it.

I'm intrested to hear if others have the slight drone at certain speeds/rpm as well because I've read serveral posts claiming it was a "No Drone" system.

I don't think your going to get away from the decel popping. It's there even with the factory system....it's just that since the exhaust is louder you're going to hear it. I did just put a Halltech CAI on my car and a swear the decel popping seems to have decreased a noticeable amount. It's still there but just seems like not as much.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Wow that is disappointing to hear as the Solo was on the top of my list. I need a drone free exhaust due to the wife factor.

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
silver fox
camaro distributor

Drives: 2010 ss/rs
I guess I was pretty happy with it till the long drive..I'm old school and drone was OK for cruising around town (we used to go thru the mcd's drivethru and torque load on the brakes just to get it), but for highway cruising it can get monotonous..like I said it seems worse with a slight load..going up a grade, and it's at a desirable cruising speed..anyone else notice this?
silver fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
YouseeSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
Finally made a decision and went with the Solo system. It was reasonably priced and was quick shipping. The install went really quick, maybe took a n hour. As for the sound, it's just slightly louder at idle, but sounds awesome under full throttle. Howwever, at about 2000 rpm I am getting a droning sound, worse when under light throttle..or if I have the car full. Had to make an emergency trip last week, loadedc my wife and 2 kids in the car and drove 800 miles one way...i found that I had to either dirve slower than i wanted or faster as they were complaining of the "drone" in the car...again at 2000 rpm (approx 80 mph) has anyone else experienced this?? I researched the heck out of this and was led to beleieve this system was "drone" free...last system I bought was a Corsa on a 2003 vette and it was much better ie no droning..also get alot of popping on deceleration...but I can live with that!
Do you have an auto? I have the auto/l99 and the "bump" as they call it coming in and out of AFM is horrible. I was under the impression that Solo had a L99 specific exhaust with no drone but I have the same prob you have, I have to go 65 or 80+ or I'm droning. And it's worse going up hill under load. The drone is not head thumping or anything, but it is annoying.
YouseeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
I have an LS3, it has a bit of drone but not uncomfortable,(but I do play the music loud anyway) I had issues with mine rattling on the heat shield, adjusted it about 10 times and it only does it occasionally now (the pipes coming out of the centre box are not at the same angle causing the box to twist and tap the heat shield!)
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #7
Puttnutt24

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
I installed my Solo on my LS3 about a week ago and I now have a couple hundred miles on it and yes, I'm experiencing the same drone at about the same place. Not bad but it is there. You know, I've never heard a performance exhaust system with absoluetly no drone so I was expecting some. I can live with this in this car but then again, this isn't my daily driver. When I removed this system from the box I said 'oh boy, this is going to be loud" But accually, it was alot quieter then I amagined. Honestly, if anything, I would have liked it alittle louder. But it does sound nice. I was alittle disappointed in the fit however. First, the right tail pipe protruded into the exhaust tip about 2.5 inches where as the left pipe was nice and flush in the tip. Second, I had a bad vibration and it turned out to be one of the heat shield's above the muffler. I ended up installing a additional hanger mounted to the cross member which held the system creating alittle more clearance from the shield. All good now. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the system...........Rich

Puttnutt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I have a Corsa on my LS3 and am very happy. They don't lie when they say it's a no drone system. It's very unobtrusive when cruising on the highway,but when you open it up it sounds great.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I have a Corsa on my LS3 and am very happy. They don't lie when they say it's a no drone system. It's very unobtrusive when cruising on the highway,but when you open it up it sounds great.
For the A6 guys when driving on the highway try shifting into M and down shift to 5th gear and upshift to 6th using the paddles. This should lock out afm and help with your drone. I was torn between their L99 kit and the Magnaflow comp catback. Glad I went with the maganflow no drone on my L99. One other thing check to insure that your mid pipes are not touching the center brace this has been known to cause drone. The clearance is very tight.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
FatalSports

Drives: Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to FatalSports
I have the SOLO on my LS3...No drone...but I did have the same fitment issue Puttnutt24 had with the center muffler hitting the heatshield. It created a slight noise...I had my shop call SOLO when they were putting my headers on and they told them they have heard of this issue a few times and they told the shop to place something(piece of wood) between the center muffler and the heatshield while doing the header install to create a little extra clearance...then obviously remove the clearance piece....and it actually worked.

No drone...no vibration/rubbing issues....I love it...sounds amazing with my SLP headers.
FatalSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
ajp
Imperial Blue Steel

Drives: Camaro 2010 2SS/RS
Silverfox - I am glad you posted this. I've had the SOLO on my L99 for 3-4 months, few months into it (I dont drive much) I did notice that at around 2k RPM, the car sound is annoying. But if you let up the gas it goes away.

I didnt know what to do, because most people say it is zero drone (which it was for me in the beginning, maybe because I dont driving highway to often). I figured it was a problem with the install which is difficult to prove.

Let the thread know what the fix is.

Also on start up, mine *pops* a lot. Is that normal?
ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
DaveT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM LS3
Mine has it at 2000 also.
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Ive only had mine a week and I love it no drone whatsoever
Old 03-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
55Designs

Drives: 2010
our car has drone as well on the highway its very annoying. Spoke to Jeff and Steve before on this but i havent really followed up since iv been busy.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
mikey8

Drives: 2SS/RS Transformer LS3
Hey guys,
The one thing that I noticed on my system, is that it had to break in as well. It sounded better and smoother after 500-600 miles. I hear it more at than the stock at hwy speeds. But I am going to hear it more: It's a performance exhaust, so it will be louder. My system does not drone. I can hear a little more load on the engine going up a hill, but it doesn't get to a drone. My understanding of a drone is like a monkey sitting on your shoulder with a gazoo blasting in your ear. I have had cars with a drone that my ears would feel like I was going up in an airplane. Ears keep popping, like a pressure differential. My ears would ring for several hours after driving. This one doesn't do that.... It did take a little time to get used to (louder than stock). If it starts to lug too much going up a hill, I shift to 5th, and no more lug.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
For those that are experiencing drone, I would suggest checking the following things:

1. Make sure there is enough clearance at the mid muffler. if it is close or touching the heat shield, you will get drone.

2. All kits should be re-tightened after about 200 miles of driving, as the initial heating (expansion) of the pipes can loosen the clamps a small bit.

3. Even the smallest leak can cause drone, so all connection spots should be checked and tightened.

We have tested this on many cars, and without install issues, the kit is completely no drone. Even the smallest of issues can create cabin resonance, so please check what I have listed above. If you have further issues, please call us and we would be glad to help Also, allow proper break-in time of 500-1000 miles. Carbon build up inside the pipes and muffler will smooth out and calm the sound over the break-in period.
goingsolo2@hotmail.com
http://www.solo-performance.com
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #17
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: White 2014 ZL1
LS3 6speed..No drone.Love it.Thanks Steve!
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
Hi Guys. This is Jeff from Solo Performance. Steve alerted me to this thread and I thought I should chime in on a few things.

We truly want our customers to be happy with their purchase and both Steve and I will work with you to the best of our abilities so that you can be. If you ever have issues with fit or sound please feel free to call us. We have helped many people so far in both these areas and we will certainly continue to do so.

When we design an exhaust kit we try to decide on the proper sound and aesthetics for the customers in mind. When you "open up" and exhaust there is always some trade offs. The rich, full, wonderful exhaust note that you experience with our kits usually has a trade off that is less than perfect. On the Standards it's a hum in 6th gear on the highway, and on the Automatics it's the 4 cyl bump. To get a rich, full exhaust note and have the "trouble" areas acceptable is a fine line to walk. There are many factors that may make the trouble areas worse on different cars. Some of these items are...
1) Other mods such as intake, headers, free flow converters and computer tunes.
2) Possible install errors.
3) The inherent differences from one car to the next.
4) Perception and taste. Everyone is different and the hearing sensitivity from one person to the next varies greatly.

When we offered the kits as a "no drone" kit we did mean it. Cars that "drone" in the mufflershop sense of the word "vibrate the cabin," "ring your ears" and "wear you out as you drive". We view the "hum" at certain speeds as a hum not a drone. Again the goal is to make the trouble areas acceptable not perfect. If the trouble areas were perfect the overall exhaust note would have to be lessened. This "balance point" can be different from car to car and person to person.

If there is an RPM range that bothers you it doesn't matter what it's called (hum, drone) it needs to be addressed. There are things that we can help with. We have found that the quickest and best way to help in these situations is to talk about it. I like to hear from the owner exactly what the problem is and be able to ask some questions. Each case is slightly different and the possible solutions can vary.

Please feel free to give me a call to talk about any concerns you may have. Sorry I'm not as good as Steve, please call between 8:00 and 5:30 Mon to Fri. I do answer calls outside those hours if possible...Our goal is to have you very satisfied with your Solo kit. Thanks.

Jeff...905-703-1557
Solo Performance.
goingsolo2@hotmail.com
http://www.solo-performance.com
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2012 Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I didn't here any drone on mine
Current:2012 Cadilac Escalade.2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned&loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09 Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #20
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
Hey jeff and Steve, ordered my Mach x(I have the ls3) last Friday, so it should be here this week sometime. I am having it installed this Saturday morning. Would it be ok to call you guys if my shop guy has any questions on the install? Thanks Bobby
camarohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
RamAir02
Black/Black 2SS/RS

Drives: '10 SS/RS M6, '07 ZX6R
That was a legit response from SOLO. Kudos!
Previous Cars: 1999 Trans Am, 2000 WS6, 2005 CTS-V
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #22
Skidpuppy
ACE5

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttnutt24 View Post
I installed my Solo on my LS3 about a week ago and I now have a couple hundred miles on it and yes, I'm experiencing the same drone at about the same place. Not bad but it is there. You know, I've never heard a performance exhaust system with absoluetly no drone so I was expecting some. I can live with this in this car but then again, this isn't my daily driver. When I removed this system from the box I said 'oh boy, this is going to be loud" But accually, it was alot quieter then I amagined. Honestly, if anything, I would have liked it alittle louder. But it does sound nice. I was alittle disappointed in the fit however. First, the right tail pipe protruded into the exhaust tip about 2.5 inches where as the left pipe was nice and flush in the tip. Second, I had a bad vibration and it turned out to be one of the heat shield's above the muffler. I ended up installing a additional hanger mounted to the cross member which held the system creating alittle more clearance from the shield. All good now. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the system...........Rich
Questions.. How are the exhaust tips installed? Are they already attached to the pipe or do you have to put them on? If they are already attached, why make the right pipe protrude 2.5 inches into the tip?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #23
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/12 RAV4
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I did just put a Halltech CAI on my car and a swear the decel popping seems to have decreased a noticeable amount. It's still there but just seems like not as much.
I noticed the same thing. I still have the stock exhaust on, but swear there's less popping since installing the Halltech.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #24
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieboy View Post
LS3 6speed..No drone.Love it.Thanks Steve!
What's up Alfie....
No drone here either.......
Love my exhaust....
Great people at SOLO too.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
I would check all your connections and clearances. Mine sounded awesome for the first few days (About 150-200 miles) and then got loud. I put her up on a lift and noticed that one of my forward clamps had loosened up a bit, most likely from the heat expansion that GOINGSOLO descibed above. I tightened everything back up and verified all my clearances and now it sounds great.

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote