Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #35
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE
 
Dr Jkel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oxford, Alabama
Posts: 4,442
Just have your car wet sanded and re-cleared and it will solve the problem, PPG 3000
__________________
MUSTANG...Like Bringing a Hot Dog to a Steak Dinner....There is no comparison.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #36
fielderLS3


 
fielderLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portage, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
My car has 5800 miles on it and my dealer told me that GM is going to repaint my gills and front bumper as a one time deal under warranty. They also told me that the splash gaurds are the only fix to keep the front tires from slinging rocks. I have heard that the EPA is making GM use water based paint on there cars and trucks it is very soft and thin paint. I dont know how good a muscle car would look with mud flaps. I guess ill 3m like everyone else.
What power does the EPA have to regulate that. Aren't these cars painted and assembled in Canada? Are you referring to Canadian enviro regs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
GM is repainting these areas as a one time deal take your car to the dealer and have them take pics of the chipped areas to show GM. Im getting my car painted on tuesday and then clear bra installed dont wait 5-8 years
Does that mean that GM has recognized the problem. More importantly, does that mean it will no longer be an issue in the future? I'm hoping to order a 2011 as soon as possible, but this paint issue has me worried. My parents have an 05 Mustang, and it only has about 2 or 3 paint chips (in 5 years). Based on what everyone is saying, the chipping on the Camaro obviously isn't normal.
__________________
"Proven V-8 power with better efficiency than a turbo V-6"

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #37
bkkendrick
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 1lt RS Red
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mercersburg Pennsylvania
Posts: 80
heres my paint chip post. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71909
I took my car to the dealer where i purchased the car, told them i wasnt happy and they fixed it. I would have got the car back this week but they broke the inner door handle assembly removing my doors and they said the part is hard to get and wasnt avalable for order until thurs. hopefully i get the car back on mon or tues day of next week i will post after pics and a copy of my invoice so that if anyone whose dealer is being an a$$ about fixing it u can show them a print off showing that its being done. good luck
bkkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #38
FANTA-Z
 
FANTA-Z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SSRS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 388
Thanks and I will be interested in the invoice so when I take the car to the dealer I have something to fall back on.
__________________
Glenn
2010 Camaro 2SSRS Inferno Orange Metallic
FANTA-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #39
FANTA-Z
 
FANTA-Z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SSRS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Just have your car wet sanded and re-cleared and it will solve the problem, PPG 3000
Im not a paint expert but if your chip is down to the black or white parts of the layers how is the clear going to help that? It would have to have the base coat repainted or at least thats what I am thinking :dunno:
__________________
Glenn
2010 Camaro 2SSRS Inferno Orange Metallic
FANTA-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #40
|BLACKSS|
 
|BLACKSS|'s Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK 1SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Posts: 269
That is what i have just heard about the epa thing probably just bs. My dealer tech said that it is true about it being a water based paint. With all of the complaints hopefully newer model cars will not have this paint on them.
|BLACKSS| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #41
Six
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS Blk/wh stripes
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hillsdale Mi
Posts: 5
Being painted tues the 13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Just have your car wet sanded and re-cleared and it will solve the problem, PPG 3000
because the clear and paint is so thin, if ya try and sand it, your going to go thru it....I do custom paint and have seen this many times...

I took mine back to the Dealer after 4K miles. My gill areas look like they have dirt all over them after a wash...30-40 or so small chips. Dealer is re-painting this area under warr. on Tues. and I'm having the splash guards put on.

I figure after a couple years I'll break down and put some real paint on it with some graphix or airbrush.

As for the EPA...yes water base is the future of our paint and it does Suck...Its no wheres near as hard as a good Base coat Clear coat finish!
Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 AM   #42
SS Drifter
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 588
A most definite chipping problem. My Camaro had more chips at 4000 miles than my two other cars combined, one with 90K and the other with 50K miles. Most chips are on the rear quarter panels near the fake vents. This paints chips extremely easily.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #43
rd-camaro
 
rd-camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
GM is repainting these areas as a one time deal take your car to the dealer and have them take pics of the chipped areas to show GM. Im getting my car painted on tuesday and then clear bra installed dont wait 5-8 years
who would i talk to? salesman? service dept.?
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #44
rd-camaro
 
rd-camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 568
yeah i have chips on the gills, hood,front bumper,doors, one on the roof and even a chip way up by the gas cap. it sucks but its just not our camaros taking this abuse i heard its all the new cars/trucks due to the water base paint. i know there was i national geo show on how the camaro is built in the factory and they show the whole painting process. i missed the show but i ordered it on DVD.
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #45
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE
 
Dr Jkel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oxford, Alabama
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post
because the clear and paint is so thin, if ya try and sand it, your going to go thru it....I do custom paint and have seen this many times...

I took mine back to the Dealer after 4K miles. My gill areas look like they have dirt all over them after a wash...30-40 or so small chips. Dealer is re-painting this area under warr. on Tues. and I'm having the splash guards put on.

I figure after a couple years I'll break down and put some real paint on it with some graphix or airbrush.

As for the EPA...yes water base is the future of our paint and it does Suck...Its no wheres near as hard as a good Base coat Clear coat finish!
Nope,

I am having mine wet sanded and re-cleared. I had a couple of chips on the front fascia, but I also had a door ding that was repaired. Since I did not want any orange peel in my paint and after talking with a custom painter, he did a test on the door that had to be repaired anyway. He was able to wet sand the door and take out the orange peel without getting into the color. I also had him remove the vinyl stripes and he painted them on, then he buried them in clear so that no edge could be felt.

So it was easy for me to decide, since the hood, rear deck lid and one door was having to be re-cleared and I didn't want orange peel, I had him sand the entire car and re-clear it. After he cleared it he then sanded it down again, buffed and polished it. He didn't like one fender so he sanded it down and re-cleared it Friday, so it should be ready Tuesday a.m.

He also filled the rear emblem holes ( welded them up ) and painted my Heritage grill. Once this is complete I will post pictures. One thing I can say 100% is there is NO trash, fisheyes or anything in my paint. Cost was 2700.00
__________________
MUSTANG...Like Bringing a Hot Dog to a Steak Dinner....There is no comparison.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #46
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,674
Washed mine again this morning, 5000+ miles, I still have no chips in the paint that I can see...
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #47
rd-camaro
 
rd-camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Washed mine again this morning, 5000+ miles, I still have no chips in the paint that I can see...
very very very very lucky skyman
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #48
Spaceballone
 
Spaceballone's Avatar
 
Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NEw Jersey
Posts: 592
Same

Some of us here in NJ have the same issue. My issues stem from the shoulder of the car, some on the gills (not much). Car has 7K miles on it and will be brought back to the dealer this weekend and opened a ticket with GM. Even one of our members with the stupid flares is complaining that he has several chips! My Co-worker who lives 4 miles from work has had his car a month now and bam 20-30 chips. I think it is a shame that i bought a 06 Civic ran it 70K miles and the only paint problems i ever had was from a lady running into the back of my car. 2010 Camaro, 10 months and several little bubbles or white spots. The car is kept clean, i don't get it. Hopefully they fix this issue.
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #49
|BLACKSS|
 
|BLACKSS|'s Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK 1SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
who would i talk to? salesman? service dept.?
I just called the dealership and asked for the service dept. I told them my issue and they told me to bring the car over to take pic of the damaged area. 2 days passed and i got a call from the service dept telling me that gm is going to paint my car under warranty only once. Goes in tomorrow, should have it back in a week
|BLACKSS| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #50
edog


 
edog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: F'BURG VA
Posts: 3,641
Many chips, not just one or two.
__________________
LS3 Conversion 113/225/238 COMP CAM, 3200 Stall, Doug Thorley Tri-Y LT/HF cat, Xpipe, Ported TB, 160 therm, Tranny cooler, Halltech CAI, Pedders sways, endlinks, 1" Eibach Drop Springs, 3.45 rear gears. Tuned by Doug @ ECS. 435HP/420TQ
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #51
myold88


 
myold88's Avatar
 
Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 6,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Nope,

I am having mine wet sanded and re-cleared. I had a couple of chips on the front fascia, but I also had a door ding that was repaired. Since I did not want any orange peel in my paint and after talking with a custom painter, he did a test on the door that had to be repaired anyway. He was able to wet sand the door and take out the orange peel without getting into the color. I also had him remove the vinyl stripes and he painted them on, then he buried them in clear so that no edge could be felt.

So it was easy for me to decide, since the hood, rear deck lid and one door was having to be re-cleared and I didn't want orange peel, I had him sand the entire car and re-clear it. After he cleared it he then sanded it down again, buffed and polished it. He didn't like one fender so he sanded it down and re-cleared it Friday, so it should be ready Tuesday a.m.

He also filled the rear emblem holes ( welded them up ) and painted my Heritage grill. Once this is complete I will post pictures. One thing I can say 100% is there is NO trash, fisheyes or anything in my paint. Cost was 2700.00
A lot of effort and money on your part but I don't think wet sanding is going to correct the chipping problem on these Camaros. I think it's an initial prep problem, not the top colorcoat or clearcoat. The paint is obviously not sticking to the primer/surfacer in my opinion. On another thread someone here said their paint peeled off when powerwashed- That has nothing to do with the top &/or clearcoat .Let us know how your cars doing in six months with your fix.
__________________
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my Zaino today lordfriday2 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 261 05-31-2014 11:00 PM
HINEY1's Custom Bumblebee Camaro (complete tear down and custom paint) Tran Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 220 11-23-2011 05:12 PM
Paint Problems Globemaster Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 16 09-06-2010 08:13 PM
A chip in my paint Haloman1346 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 4 08-10-2009 01:31 AM
A question about the paint jobs 2Muchmark 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 6 04-26-2009 11:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.