Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
RBC2010SSRS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 6spd. 402 rwhp
Home made CAI, comments and suggestions

Built this with 4'' tube, aluminum and angled plastics. Products made by Spectre found at any pep boys. 4'' K&N. 3/8 hose and hose adapter kit for the vacuum line. Spent maybe $120 total. I also have the GMPP axel back Borla track pack cans, and Cat delete. Its a screaming monster. Looking for suggestions where to go next, Suspension?? Start saving for the cam and tune?? Or any other ideas????

Updated version, Rearranged the angels and straitened the system through the advice and ideas from the fellow camaro elite

Last edited by RBC2010SSRS; 03-30-2010 at 04:55 AM.
RBC2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Not Paid 4

Drives: The Wheels of this BEAST...
Location: You must be Young and Stupid before you become Old and Wise, Canton Georgia
Very nice
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Looks nice, but you need a baffle. Otherwise, it's counter-productive- you'll be sucking in hot air from under the hood

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Looks nice, but you need a baffle. Otherwise, it's counter-productive- you'll be sucking in hot air from under the hood

+1

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
ditto +3.you may also get a slight air restriction with the short black elbow.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Napper

Drives: 2SS RS A6/ CTS-V A6 LSA
whats the butt dyno say? unless your enclosed you all are most likely getting SOME hot air...

After talking with Vararam, the engineer i spoke to ( for 2 hours) said all the current CAi don't even support the stock engine.

though i still have an ADM s/c street.

I was at pep boys the other day....and i was looking at those same products....thinking...."i could make that."!!!!

Good job, might wanna save the filter and get a muffler shop to mandrel bend a pipe and configure a block off...otherwise i would have done the same thing.
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Nice
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Kwik

Drives: car
Looks like a really hard angle. That will have a negative effect on air flow. You also need to block off the hot air from the engine. Just build a simple air box around the filter. Looks good.
Kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper View Post

After talking with Vararam, the engineer i spoke to ( for 2 hours) said all the current CAi don't even support the stock engine.
WOW, that is a Bold Statement.

ADM has been over 900 RWHP but does not support stock engines
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
RBC2010SSRS

The hard angel at the 90' degree boot could be replaced with a bigger sweeping boot, But looking at most aftermarket CAI's they have the same angle right next to the throttle body. Buying sheets of tin to start my Heat shield today. I wish I had a dyno to run it on
Old 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Very nice HAI you built. You do need to partition off the filter to make it a CAI instead of a HAI (Hot Air Intake)...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
RBC2010SSRS

That is todays project. No more HAI bashing coming my way
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
admire your efforts
Old 03-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
RBC2010SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Very nice HAI you built. You do need to partition off the filter to make it a CAI instead of a HAI (Hot Air Intake)...

To build a heat shield would not be difficult at all. BUT does anyone know for sure the difference. In a shop on the dyno, mehhh. But I drive my Camaro, lots of wind and the natural elements of outside... I know i sound stupid, But to get the true effects of a CAI I would have to fabricate some sort of air induction through the grill, partnered with a heat shield. ANYONE have experience with this??

(don't be a hater and answer Company's have great experience... They are just dudes in a garage as well)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
Levi550

Drives: SIM, 2SS/RS, LS3
Nice job on the homemade.... I would have to agree with others that without a box / dam, it will suck some in some hot under hood air, but I don't have any data to prove that.

But anyway, JANNETTYRACING did a test of 6-7 different manufacturers CAI's, you could maybe get some ideas from that. Rumor is that there is another test in the works.

It seems that there was another guy (can't remember his name right now), but he did some logging of intake temp's in that same thread, he may have some info to help prove it.
Levi550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Looks good. I just checked the price of the K&N kit for that engine and its like 360 bucks! I like your $120 homemade that does the same thing.

and ill agree for agreements sake about having the dam to block the heat from the engine.
blackknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #17
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
Quote:
That is todays project. No more HAI bashing coming my way
It's ugly and an eyesore. If you're gonna spend $36k on a car, why would you skimp on an intake? I would be much more impressed if you threw up a simple data log showing that this did something beneficial (I've been saying this in a lot of threads lately it seems). I'm really surprised you're not throwing any codes with such a weird design. It looks like you just found some tubing that would probably fit and threw it in there. Where did you get the MAF sensor housing? I'm sure you're MAF increased somewhat, but were any of your efforts a detriment? You could just shove a piece of cardboard between your filter and your engine and call it a "heat shield" to save money.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
WOW, that is a Bold Statement.

ADM has been over 900 RWHP but does not support stock engines
Just add it to the list of bold VR statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBC2010SSRS View Post
To build a heat shield would not be difficult at all. BUT does anyone know for sure the difference. In a shop on the dyno, mehhh. But I drive my Camaro, lots of wind and the natural elements of outside... I know i sound stupid, But to get the true effects of a CAI I would have to fabricate some sort of air induction through the grill, partnered with a heat shield. ANYONE have experience with this??

(don't be a hater and answer Company's have great experience... They are just dudes in a garage as well)
Think about it. You can suck in hot underhood air or section off the filter so that it sucks the vast majority of it's air from outside the car. Which one do you think would give better results? You'll not only need to section off the filter but you'll need to get some rubber to make a tight fit against the hood, fenderwell, and anything else it touches. You could also build a a box that has a cover. In the end, if you build a CAI RIGHT, you'll spend almost as much as a good prebuilt model. The prebuilt models will be proven and probably look considerably better. Considering you spent $500+ on your axle back for nothing more than sound and looks, why did you decided to go cheap on something that actually makes HP.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It's ugly and an eyesore. If you're gonna spend $36k on a car, why would you skimp on an intake? I would be much more impressed if you threw up a simple data log showing that this did something beneficial (I've been saying this in a lot of threads lately it seems). I'm really surprised you're not throwing any codes with such a weird design. It looks like you just found some tubing that would probably fit and threw it in there. Where did you get the MAF sensor housing? I'm sure you're MAF increased somewhat, but were any of your efforts a detriment? You could just shove a piece of cardboard between your filter and your engine and call it a "heat shield" to save money.

You just described my Fastlane CAI.

10 Camaro 2SS
70 Nova
68 El Camino
BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #20
Levi550

Quote:
It's ugly and an eyesore.

Geez, you want go over and kick his dog?

Would like to be a fly on the wall and listen to you talk to your child about thier first report card.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Tried the same kind of thing on my V6:

Looked better than the ugly stock tube... sounded better.. BUT on the dyno I ended up losing a few HP in the upper RPM range, due to the hard angle in the tube..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #22
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
Quote:

Would like to be a fly on the wall and listen to you talk to your child about thier first report card.
When you ask for opinions, you tend to get them.

If my kid's report card was good, he would receive praise, if it were bad, he would be admonished. See how that works?
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #23
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi550 View Post

What do you expect someone to say when the OP ASKED for comments and suggestions. Do you expect us to LIE to him and tell him it's fantastic? We all commend him for trying to do this on his own but there's more to a GOOD CAI than just some tubing and and a filter. There's a SCIENCE to make air flow well and laminar. If $$ was an issue, then that's one thing but he paid good $$ for a AXLEBACK. That tells me that he's got enough $$ to afford a PROVEN CAI.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #24
Levi550

Quote:

If my kid's report card was good, he would receive praise, if it were bad, he would be admonished. See how that works?
Right on...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #25
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:

If your kid brings you a picture he's drawn and proudly asks how you like it you tell him its great and hang it on the refrigerator... even though you're pretty sure dogs aren't purple and have only four legs. See how that works?
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote