Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
RBC2010SSRS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 6spd. 402 rwhp
Diablo Preadator??

I am getting a diablo predator because I just cant afford the cam and professional tune. I would like to know all negatives and positives any users have faced. I have CAI system and a decent exhaust set up.... Driving the LS3 6 spd
Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
I don't think there are any negatives. I just did LT headers/CAI/ and the Diablo tune. I felt quite a bump in seat of the pants grunt after putting the headers on. And then the Diablo tune made another noticeable improvement. Throttle response seemed snappier with the tune, vey fun to drive.

You don't want to show up for warranty work with a modded tune though so be careful to be able to return to stock if needed. The Predator saves your OE cal which can be put back in, so should be good in that regards.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
the only negatives come from those who strictly do dyno tunes.

with just bolt-ons like you have, the canned Diablo Tune is all you need. they test these vehicles and advance the timing enough for 93 octane, but also have a separate tune for 91 octane fuel.

i highly recommend once you get the tune installed... drive around for about 100 miles so the computer can relearn your driving habits.

go to www.dslogredux.com and read in the help and user guide on how to make a log and adjust your part-throttle & WOT fueling to dial in the tune yourself for more HP and better fuel mileage.

once you get into more mods like long tube headers, you'll need a custom tune to disable cat & O2 codes. and if you decide to go even more radical like a cam or supercharger, then that is when it is time to get on the dyno to tune it.

so really the only negative is it takes awhile to get the tune dialed in and they are only recommended for simple bolt-ons.

the positives are you can revert to the stock backup whenever you please, quickly. you can read & clear trouble codes. you can log any parameter that the computer records. it is internet updatable and the customer service and tech support is great! their is a diablosport forum dedicated to tech support if you ever need help quickly... chances are if you have more questions you'll find the answer over there!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
brtaus

Drives: None
I have one and have no negatives about it. It is very easy to use and getting a custom tune is easy as well. If you go the Diablo website and download section, there is everything there you need to include detailed instructions on how and what to do.
brtaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
RBC2010SSRS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 6spd. 402 rwhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
the only negatives come from those who strictly do dyno tunes.

with just bolt-ons like you have, the canned Diablo Tune is all you need. they test these vehicles and advance the timing enough for 93 octane, but also have a separate tune for 91 octane fuel.

i highly recommend once you get the tune installed... drive around for about 100 miles so the computer can relearn your driving habits.

go to www.dslogredux.com and read in the help and user guide on how to make a log and adjust your part-throttle & WOT fueling to dial in the tune yourself for more HP and better fuel mileage.

once you get into more mods like long tube headers, you'll need a custom tune to disable cat & O2 codes. and if you decide to go even more radical like a cam or supercharger, then that is when it is time to get on the dyno to tune it.

so really the only negative is it takes awhile to get the tune dialed in and they are only recommended for simple bolt-ons.

the positives are you can revert to the stock backup whenever you please, quickly. you can read & clear trouble codes. you can log any parameter that the computer records. it is internet updatable and the customer service and tech support is great! their is a diablosport forum dedicated to tech support if you ever need help quickly... chances are if you have more questions you'll find the answer over there!

I have a catless mid pipe, My O2 sensors have had my check engine light on for awhile. I want a full system like you said: LT headers with a high flow cat and X pipe.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
mine is the American Racing Header Kit... probably the best quality performance part i have ever bought... an absolute MUST to have headers for a V8!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote