Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Smirnoff

 
Smirnoff's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Motorcity Dragway
Posts: 974
Exclamation GM Fix: High/Low Octane Map!

Can anyone validate whether GM fixed the problem of the low octane map & the fuse reset to assist in correcting the problem?

Also, those of you with early VIN #'s & performed the fuse reset, did the problem (drop in horsepower) eventually return? Did the dealer admit the problem & reflash to permanently correct???

According to Livernois Motorsports, stock baseline dyno for the SS are showing 360-370 rwhp, some of you are reporting 320 rwhp & you accept there is nothing wrong with you car?
Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Can anyone validate whether GM fixed the problem of the low octane map & the fuse reset to assist in correcting the problem?

Also, those of you with early VIN #'s & performed the fuse reset, did the problem (drop in horsepower) eventually return? Did the dealer admit the problem & reflash to permanently correct???

According to Livernois Motorsports, stock baseline dyno for the SS are showing 360-370 rwhp, some of you are reporting 320 rwhp & you accept there is nothing wrong with you car?
I guess you don't know that the SS comes in two different engines. LS3 equals manual 6, 426hp, typically dyno's in the 360+ range. L99 equals automatic 6, 400hp, typically dyno's in the 320-330 range.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Smirnoff

 
Smirnoff's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Motorcity Dragway
Posts: 974
Thanks for keeping me honest - yes I know of the LS3 & L99 & the HP difference, for clarification many on this board with the LS3 claimed 320 RWHP was valid & is a good number.....?

But, the BIGGER issue is whether GM has a permanent fix or not? I would hate to keep pulling fuses to get the car to run right, what type of quality is that???
Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
kdbolt70

 
kdbolt70's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Haslett, Mi
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Thanks for keeping me honest - yes I know of the LS3 & L99 & the HP difference, for clarification many on this board with the LS3 claimed 320 RWHP was valid & is a good number.....?

But, the BIGGER issue is whether GM has a permanent fix or not? I would hate to keep pulling fuses to get the car to run right, what type of quality is that???
To be honest, I do notice a difference in fuel tables. But that difference is realized based on what gas I use. Premium from Speedway, for example, is noticeably slower than Premium from Shell. Just my observation.
__________________
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
ron10


 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LOUISVILLE,KY..
Posts: 7,548
i only use shell 93.it is a "top tier" gas.the fuse pull is simply a method to reset your computer for the high octane gas.the dealer put 87 octane in my car.this does not void your warranty
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
brtaus
 
brtaus's Avatar
 
Drives: None
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Premium from Speedway, for example, is noticeably slower than Premium from Shell. Just my observation.


Circle K/QT premium is same way; I only use Chevron or Shell premium.
brtaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder
 
Mr Smith's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cartoon City, Nevada
Posts: 680
Yup..Switched to Chevron from Costco...Big difference in price but the mileage and hp gain was even better...18+ mpg around town with my foot in it constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtaus View Post


Circle K/QT premium is same way; I only use Chevron or Shell premium.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
SharpSS
 
SharpSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Decked Out Inferno Orange 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bluegrass State
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Yup..Switched to Chevron from Costco...Big difference in price but the mileage and hp gain was even better...18+ mpg around town with my foot in it constantly.
Damn! I can't even get that on the highway.
__________________
SharpSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
wbt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpSS View Post
Damn! I can't even get that on the highway.
Checked my DIC and I am averaging 18.5 here. City driving for the most part.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph
 
RedJewel2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,199
the octane map your referring to is just from the dealer you bought the car from putting their 87 octane they keep on the lot cuz they're too lazy to drive down the street and put the proper fuel in it
__________________

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Smirnoff

 
Smirnoff's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Motorcity Dragway
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
the octane map your referring to is just from the dealer you bought the car from putting their 87 octane they keep on the lot cuz they're too lazy to drive down the street and put the proper fuel in it
Right -- the problem is when 91 or 93 octane is then poured into the tank, the low octane map doesn't convert to the high octane map....my question is, did or does GM have a permanent fix?????????????????

Other than pulling the fuses?????????????????????????????????????
Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpSS View Post
Damn! I can't even get that on the highway.

Same here, think I'm getting 14 and change ... and 17 and change on my LT ...
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless
 
Iwantone2's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC Cali
Posts: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Checked my DIC and I am averaging 18.5 here. City driving for the most part.
I know I shouldn't but....

Show-off!
__________________
Iwantone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless
 
Iwantone2's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC Cali
Posts: 9,617
Could the fuel have come from the factory? When I bought my car, my salesmen let me take the car to fuel it up myself. Put 91 in it and I still had to do the fuse pull.
__________________
Iwantone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What type of fuel to use? Matth3w 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 03-24-2010 12:56 PM
Anyone running something other than 87? jeansonne627 Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 31 10-01-2009 02:40 PM
No 93 Octane in California tribone Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing 15 08-27-2009 04:18 PM
Hmm...higher octane? Shadowsong Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 27 08-29-2008 06:29 AM
Octane Booster and synthetic oil big_bank5000 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 25 05-14-2008 03:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.