Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Screaminz2002

Drives: 2012 5.0
Magnaflow 16580 review (L99)

Let me first start by saying there seems to be a misconception on these boards about afm and exhaust. I went through tons of forums posts, youtube sound bites, and dealers pages before I picked an exhaust. After installation I can say a majority of this is people reposting what they have read on other posts.. All I can say is this exhaust sounds exactly the way I wanted it to. Loud without being overbearing. Low and mean rumble pitch. The way the car should have came from GM. My only complaint is I waited so long to do it because of the AFM myth.

Car- L99 with no other modifications.

A guy at the store said it best when I pulled in after installing the exhaust. "That thing sounds evil" I tried to get sound bites on my droid while cruising down the road but the road noise is louder then the exhaust. You never hear it untill the upper rpm band. This is due mostly to my phone. Sound bites do not do the exhaust justice and are mostly rubbish in my opinion.
AFM- You really have to hit that low rpm sweet spot to raise the pitch. You L99 owners should know what this is. For that entire 1.5 seconds it makes a different noise and it's hard to hit it. Other then this there is no drone while cruising down the road. It does not sound ricer, like a 4 cyl, or anything else with the afm on. The sound isn't much different at all. It sounds like a aftermarket exhaust on any other vehicle I have ever had.

I find myself using the paddle shifters a whole lot more just because I like the sound of holding the rpms. Not because of drone or anything else. I got one little boy in trouble after downshifting for some speed bumps. He told his mom my car sounded bad a$$ and she got on him for saying a$$. So how loud is it when I can hear the conversations of people on the side of the road while paddle downshifting? Just loud enough to rumble without being over bearing.

I love this exhaust and I can't say that enough. It was exactly what I was looking for. I hate that I gave into myths about afm and waited so long to do it.

Installation

The installation was done in my sloped driveway on a set of car ramps. This gave enough space to work under the car with minimal restrictions. The only advantage to the sloped driveway was more room around the back of the car. It can be done just as easily on a flat surface. It took two people about 3 hours to install and I highly recommend a buddy to help. We also used a floor jack to help support the factory exhaust during removal to free up our hands.

We did run into a few key problems during installation.

The rear defuser needs to be able to move out for the factory exhaust to come out. It hits on the tires/fenders preventing it from sliding forward. Removing the 6 screws on the bottom will allow it enough room to fall. Be careful here that you don't leave the weight of the mufflers on the defuser panel. The floor jack worked good here.

The tubes from the mufflers to the tips are different on each side. Spend some time with the directions and make sure you have them placed correctly.

The back rubber hangers on the stock cans are a BIG pita. This took the longest out of the install. It didn't help matters that I had about a gallon and a half of water in my exhaust either. All I can say is you will need some elbow grease to pop them loose. We tied a strap around the front of the old exhaust and ran it under the car to the front. One person pulled the strap moving the exhaust as far forward as it will go while the other kept prying on the rubber to break it loose. Rinse repeat until muscle failure.

The factory front clamps need to be re-used. They are a two piece sleeve with one sleeve inside the other. Be careful of the passenger side as the inner sleeve can turn when taking it off. There is a notch that goes over a small bump on the cat side and it will not go back on if it is not aligned. Also it will dictate how your bolt placement is so keep it in the same spot.

Put a little lube on the rubber hangers before putting them back on. This makes it much easier to position the exhaust and get the tips aligned.

Overall it is a pretty easy installation that just takes some elbow grease to get it done. It isn't something that needs pics or videos to do. just really straight forward unbolting and rebolting. 3 hours to complete and that was taking our time making sure everything was just right.
Screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
The problem with the AFM that I had is not the sound when the car is running on 4 cyl, but when it is going from 4 to 8 cyl. This is a problem when you install LT headers and remove the factory cats and resonators. The sound is a loud backfiring like sound. Maybe this sound is not a problem with cat back systems. BTW I kept my factory mufflers. It sounded so bad I could not wait to tune out the AFM!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Screaminz2002

I do not have headers but I would guess that would change the sound dramaticly. Mine doesn't make any noticeable sound change while going in and out of afm with this catback system. Were you running this system or a muffler delete? It sounds more like a muffler delete?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I agree with Screaminz...there is absolutely no drone on my custom Magnaflow cat-back. Had it since November and love it!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
cool
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Josse Erik

Drives: Huyndai Accent
Smile

MAGNAFLOW has released a myriad of exhaust systems to meet all your RS and SS Exhaust needs.2.5" and 3.0" complete cat-back systems, 2.5" axle-back systems, 4" Double wall, 5" Rolled edge tips and accomodations for GMPP fascia equipped vehicles. All of these options are available as Street and Competition Series for a mild or wild exhaust note.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Screaminz2002

I just want to add. I had the dealer "check" the exhaust bolts when I went in for an oil change. They charged me .5 to do it and now I am thinking I have a leak. It is MUCH louder with a lot of drone in 6th tap shifting and hitting the gas. I am going to take a wild guess that they loosened something trying to torque it to specs. I will get the car back up on the ramps tomorrow to figure it out. For their sake they better hope something isn't loose..
Old 04-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
FASST 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminz2002 View Post
I do not have headers but I would guess that would change the sound dramaticly. Mine doesn't make any noticeable sound change while going in and out of afm with this catback system. Were you running this system or a muffler delete? It sounds more like a muffler delete?
My system consists of AR LT headers, their racing cats and the stock mufflers. I love the system. No drone and it sounds like factory (quite when cruising) unless you get on it and then man it comes to life. But, like I said, when you take off the factory resonators and cats, the AFM has to go!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Screaminz2002

Well Easter was a little crazy and I havn't had time to get the car back on ramps. I hope to do it tonight. FASST I do not get why you say the AFM has to go. Mine really doesn't make much of a sound change and just really feels like an extra gear. Can you elaborate on you experience with it?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
FASST 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminz2002 View Post
Well Easter was a little crazy and I havn't had time to get the car back on ramps. I hope to do it tonight. FASST I do not get why you say the AFM has to go. Mine really doesn't make much of a sound change and just really feels like an extra gear. Can you elaborate on you experience with it?
Many have posted the same thing. There are lots of threads stating this problem. The factory resonator and cats do a good job of muffling the sound of the AFM when the car goes from 4 to 8 cylinders. There is a loud pop or backfire sound as any remaining fuel in the activated cylinders is burnt off. If you don't mind the sound of your car backfiring, then this won't be a problem. If you don't hear it then you still have the factory resonator and maybe cats too or some other system that is muffling this sound. I was fine with the sound of the car until I got LT headers and high flow cats.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Screaminz2002

Been out of town all week so the car has been parked. Saturday afternoon looks clear to recheck or maybe today if I get off early.

I understand the AFM problems and modifying the factory system in different ways. The catback system this review is based off of, with all the car still stock, does not have a popping or backfire. I don't want people to be confused with what you have done using different systems or componets when modifying and dealing with the problem of AFM on the automatic.

Sorry for the confusion as I figured you had this system with a similiar setup since you posted in the thread and had experienced problems.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yeah, a stock L99 with a Magnaflow exhaust shouldn't really experience much AFM issues.
Its the more aggressive exhausts that will create more of an issue.

But if you add long tube headers, expect to hear a weird un-muscle car like sound when you're slowing down or while gently getting on and off the gas while cruising (to maintain speed).

That's what irritated me the most. It was when I would apply just a little bit of gas to maintain cruise speed (say 60mph). I would get a weird sound as the engine switched back and forth from V8 to V4 mode. Over time, it got to be very annoying.

After getting the AFM deleted, its nothing but pure V8 sounds coming from the engine.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I just installed the same system on my L99, love the sound, but I do detect some drone at cruising speed. Need to listen to it some more, but the AFM is certainly annoying.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
JS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The Comp axleback sounds tuff, but the AFM is annoying even with the stock cats and manifolds in place...Add headers and it will get even worse, IMO u need to turn of the AFM and thats what I did.

I also added a Magna X-PIPE MUFFLER 14386 to my car, I love the sound..
I will be adding HI-FLOW CAT PIPES next, I am not going with headers on this car.

JMHO
Magnaflow Magnapack Axleback & Resonated X-Pipe/OBX LT Headers/Airaid Cold Air Kit/Injection Connection Tuned
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS View Post
The Comp axleback sounds tuff, but the AFM is annoying even with the stock cats and manifolds in place...Add headers and it will get even worse, IMO u need to turn of the AFM and thats what I did.

I also added a Magna X-PIPE MUFFLER 14386 to my car, I love the sound..
I will be adding HI-FLOW CAT PIPES next, I am not going with headers on this car.

JMHO
Yup, gonna have to turn it off. It is unacceptable to me.:(