Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
wildcatjake
Full of Shenanigans

Drives: The pedal through the floor pan...
Tweeter wiring info needed

Hey all, I'm about to embark on my active component installation in the doors. Since I'll be going active (powering tweets and mids separately) I'm trying to figure out how the stock tweets are wired in. I'm assuming there's some kind of passive crossover in there, since it looks like the factory amp supplies power to the mids and tweets off the same line. It would be strange to give your tweeter and mid the same signal.

Anyone out there have any input on this? Initially I assumed I wouldn't have to run any speaker wires, but I assumed the tweets were being powered by the amp independently of the mids. I think I'll replace all the wiring since I already ahve to run new to the tweets.

Anyone have any pics of how they ran wiring to the fronts?

Thanks!

Oh, I'll have an install thread coming up soon with my sound deadener (vibration dampener, closed-cell foam, and mass-loaded vinyl) and subthump install with my 10w7. I'll be doing the same for the doors when i get them sorted out.
GMPP 21" Wheels - Volant CAI - XS Power LT's and exhaust - Custom Tune - MGW Short Throw - IOM Heritage Grille - 25% Tint - AAC Amber LED Upgrade, Footwells, and DRL's - JL 10W7 in a Subthump Box - Active Image Dynamics and Vifa Components - Kenwood Amps - Lots of Sound Deadener - Big Worm full tint kit and bowties

Future Plans: Vmax ported TB - More AAC goodies - Drop Springs/Sways/Bushings
Wish List: AirLift - Whipple - Cam
wildcatjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
the factory tweeter has a capacitor mounted to the side of it that acts as a 6dB passive crossover.

Running wire for the front speakers is going to be a difficult task as there is a Molex plug between the body and the door. they are very difficult to get the wiring thru as you will need to Carefully drill holes in the molex. you will need to be cautious to not hit any of the wiring while drilling the holes.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #3
wildcatjake
Full of Shenanigans

appreciate the input. looks like I may re-evaluate the benefits of going active and adding something like a HAT Imagine passive component set. I can still use my kenwood x4r in the truck to go full active.
GMPP 21" Wheels - Volant CAI - XS Power LT's and exhaust - Custom Tune - MGW Short Throw - IOM Heritage Grille - 25% Tint - AAC Amber LED Upgrade, Footwells, and DRL's - JL 10W7 in a Subthump Box - Active Image Dynamics and Vifa Components - Kenwood Amps - Lots of Sound Deadener - Big Worm full tint kit and bowties

Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
ChuckBuSSter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
the factory tweeter has a capacitor mounted to the side of it that acts as a 6dB passive crossover.

Running wire for the front speakers is going to be a difficult task as there is a Molex plug between the body and the door. they are very difficult to get the wiring thru as you will need to Carefully drill holes in the molex. you will need to be cautious to not hit any of the wiring while drilling the holes.
Why not tie into the wiring for the tweeter on either side of the Molex connector rather than adding more wires? Use the factory wiring.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
wildcatjake
Full of Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBuSSter View Post
Why not tie into the wiring for the tweeter on either side of the Molex connector rather than adding more wires? Use the factory wiring.
The issue is there aren't separate wires running for the mid and the tweeter. the tweeter "splices" off of the wires running to the mid utilizing a passive crossover. In order to run fully active I'll have to run separate wiring from the amp to the tweeter.

This is why I'm now leaning towards running a passive crossover component set as opposed to active. I can use the existing wiring to power the mid and tweeter in the same manner the factory system does.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
wildcatjake
Full of Shenanigans

Another big question, for you guys that have replaced/added speaker wire, where did you decide to run the new speaker wire? I'm trying to avoid having to gut the car just to run a pair of speaker wires with the factory harness along the center tunnel...

Old 04-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBuSSter View Post
When wiring in aftermatket systems you always want to try to keep the wiring in tact (a few splices as possible) this will reduce the chances of bad connections or spots in the wiring where thing can go bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatjake View Post
Another big question, for you guys that have replaced/added speaker wire, where did you decide to run the new speaker wire? I'm trying to avoid having to gut the car just to run a pair of speaker wires with the factory harness along the center tunnel...
the factory harness are not run on the center tunnel there are run down each side of the vehicle.

The HAT imagines are a great choice. we have a 2010 Camaro we are in the process of installing the same speakers in the front doors.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Team Stinger
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
wildcatjake
Full of Shenanigans

thanks for the input, you wouldn't happen to have a picture or diagram showing where to access the wiring from would you? My 07 silverado runs it right under the door sils, I'm assuming the car will somwhere similar.

I'd feel like an idiot tearing into my $40k car hunting for wiring like Elmer Fudd...

Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

unfortuneately I do not have pics of the wiring locations. but they are pretty easy to track down strat int he door and work your way back tot he car.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Team Stinger