Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Boston Acoustics GTA400m and G312-44 Install

Well, we all know the Boston Acoustics system is pretty solid, especially for a factory system. Is it better than aftermarket? Nah, but it's clear enough and loud enough when I'm doin 90 with the windows down so it works for me. However, the bass was extremely lacking. My Shelby GT500 had better bass with the Shaker 500 system.

So for my birthday I bought myself a present. A Boston Acoustics GTA400m amplifier and a Boston Acoustics G312-44 dual 4ohm VC 12" sub.

Rest of the ingredients:
  1. 12" Stealth Driver's side enclosure from subthump
  2. Passenger side Amp rack
  3. Streetwires 4awg amp install kit
  4. Crap load of wire and butt splices
  5. Wire crimpers
  6. 70 SQ FT of sound deadening from ebay
  7. Few box cutters
  8. Lots of different screw drivers, Torq X screw drivers
  9. Socket set
  10. Drill
  11. Lots and lots of patience
I had to do this over 3 weekends because my girlfriend takes up time... my job eats hours like you wouldn't believe (CPA in public accounting) and I live alone in a house... so there is upkeep there.

Anyways, all told this had to take 15 hours. All in all it wasn't hard unless you count contorting your body in ways that it wasn't meant to.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...Sub%20Install/

That has all the pictures ... way too many actually. Password (if there is one) is xcpusxcpus. I still need to run the variable level knob from the amp to the dash and install the amp rack cover. Other than that it's done. Sorry the last couple shots compared to the rest. My damn camera went missing in the middle of all this so I had to use my Motorola Droid to finish the shots.

SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
guyjusthere

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
very nice.. can you discuss how you ran the RCA's from the radio? I may just do it from the rear speakers
guyjusthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyjusthere View Post
very nice.. can you discuss how you ran the RCA's from the radio? I may just do it from the rear speakers
I have a 2SS/RS so the Boston Acoustics factory amp is in the trunk. To run the wires I bought a line converter and spliced it (I don't like T Taps) into the proper wires based on the guide provided by subthump. From there I used a Rockford Fostgate RCA patch cable to run from the line converter to the amp. The line converter is attached to the sheet metal of the car right above the factory amp (w/o drilling) and the cable runs behind the black plastic insert that is held to the back of the trunk by plastic wing nuts. I actually gorilla taped the bastage to the sheet metal to ensure it didn't rattle or get loose somehow.

I would advise you to not tap the rear speakers. The rear speakers, at least on the BA system, are 2 ohm and amped. You need to tap into the pre-amp signal.
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Looks Great..

I am thinking of doing exactly the same system... How does it sound? Where did you buy your sub and amp?
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Steve@Subthump

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
I had to do this over 3 weekends because my girlfriend takes up time... my job eats hours like you wouldn't believe (CPA in public accounting) and I live alone in a house... so there is upkeep there.
Wait till you get married/have kids. Your 'me' time will be history lol. Looks really nice though. If you need more practice on your deadening skills, just let me know because my car is ready and waiting for some. I'll buy your plane ticket even. Btw, we do carry Dynamat and Hushmat deadeners. Probably post it up in the vendor section soon.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Havoc2125

Drives: 2010 2SS
nice setup, I'm thinking of doing the same thing, how does the amp sound with the sub, cant find any reviews online about the amp. do you have a video of how it sounds.
Havoc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Very Nice.

I agree that the Boston Acoustics system sounds pretty good,

especially playing a CD. I am also in the process of adding a 12"

Diamond sub with a 500wrms amp at 4 ohms. That should be plenty.

COOL you stayed with Boston equipment. I already had my equipment

from my last car. I built a sealed 1.5 cu.ft box with MDF. My ENTIRE sub

system with all parts will only add 49-51 pounds in the trunk, that was

VERY important to me. I still have a couple coats of orange paint to roll on

the box.
Attached Images

JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote