Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #51
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Ok, hopefully you can tell better with these pictures. Basically, no matter what I used, I could not get the hoel to start on TOP of the bracket rivet. I broke several small drill bits and used a brand new 1/2" drill bit to make the hole. You can see that the hole is off to the side, which is why it's angled.

The 1 shot from the "other" side is blurry as my camera wouldn't focus that close - sorry.

Thanks,
Michael J.

Boy you have some paint repair to do under the hood.
I would say get a new insert from Pfadt. I'm sure they will give you one and walk you through a fix.

I would do what I could to salvage the install, because I wouldn't want just a hole there staring at me every time I opened the hood.
riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #52
PrinzII
Future ZL1 Owner

Drives: 2011 Edge Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvpilot View Post
http://www.loudpdl.com/index.php

They have a sweet 2010 shop car.
Good guys. They are active on the forum, or give them a call.
They are being bookmarked. Thanks for the info.
PrinzII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #53
Berean

Drives: Truck
I just got my strut tower brace today. I'm going to follow this and see how it turns out before I install mine.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #54
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Do you guys have any idea on how much G forces the car will put down now?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #55
Berean

Update?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #56
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yes, update? Please...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #57
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I take it the engine cover can slip off from underneath the strut tower brace?
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #58
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Michael_Js, it looks as though you just didn't drill the hole perpendicular to the surface, and then you tried to install the rivnut, with some of it falling off of the bracket it is supposed to be centered on, and flush with. If you do not install it flush, to the bracket, it will be angled like you experienced, and then the bolt will not thread in straight.

We can hunt down an extra one if you need to sell it. That is really a shame though. This strut bar really aligns itself for drilling. That is why we recommend center punching and drilling smaller to begin the install.

Shoot me your address via PM and we will see if we can get something to you.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #59
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEOX View Post
Do you guys have any idea on how much G forces the car will put down now?
Since you asked, we just recently put this video together out at Miller Motorsports Park here in Utah. This video shows a peak of 1.34gs!

Here is a link to the Camaro5 thread:

Camaro5 Thread

and here is the video (screen shot below of 1.34g)

Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #60
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
you should do 50% millitary discount. lol
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #61
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Michael_Js, it looks as though you just didn't drill the hole perpendicular to the surface, and then you tried to install the rivnut, with some of it falling off of the bracket it is supposed to be centered on, and flush with. If you do not install it flush, to the bracket, it will be angled like you experienced, and then the bolt will not thread in straight.

We can hunt down an extra one if you need to sell it. That is really a shame though. This strut bar really aligns itself for drilling. That is why we recommend center punching and drilling smaller to begin the install.

Shoot me your address via PM and we will see if we can get something to you.
Yes, I know that's what happened, except, I did punch and drill it with 2 smaller bits. I also broke the 2 smaller bits making the started holes. It obviously did not go well ;(

Thanks - PM sent.
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #62
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm sure it'll work out for you.

That area is probably that high-strength-low-alloy-steel, so it's probably the hardest steel on the car (there are other places it would be used, too, but probably not of this thickness), so it's not suprising; it still sucks, but I'm sure you'll get squared away now
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #63
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

I hope so! Pfadt sent me a good suggestion on how to repair and install. I already sent it to my local mechanic to see if they can fix my blunder ;( Pfadt is also sending me another RivNut - Thanks!

Thanks,
Michael J.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #64
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
id like a cost and where to get tower brace ???
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #65
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_g View Post
id like a cost and where to get tower brace ???
$325, we would be happy to work with you.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #66
Berean

Ok, I started looking at installing mine today.

I have a couple of issues. (I guess these are addressed to Pfadt, but anyone who knows, please reply)

1. What's the 5/16th allen wrench for? I assumed it was for the bolts, but they are larger than 5/16th. So what do you tighten the bolts down with?

2. How do you install the rivnuts? The instructions say "install rivnuts with installation tool". The "tool" is a bolt and two other pieces. Which piece goes where in relation to the rivnut? It looks like the bolt part of the installation "tool" isn't used during installation but you actually use the regular hex head bolt for installation. Correct? Pictures?

3. It says to make sure the bottom part of the "tool" doesn't rotate during installation. What does that mean? The bottom part appears to be the aluminum piece, which can't be held with a wrench.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like it should be this complicated. Hopefully I'll be able to get it done.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #67
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Ok, I started looking at installing mine today.

I have a couple of issues. (I guess these are addressed to Pfadt, but anyone who knows, please reply)

1. What's the 5/16th allen wrench for? I assumed it was for the bolts, but they are larger than 5/16th. So what do you tighten the bolts down with?

2. How do you install the rivnuts? The instructions say "install rivnuts with installation tool". The "tool" is a bolt and two other pieces. Which piece goes where in relation to the rivnut? It looks like the bolt part of the installation "tool" isn't used during installation but you actually use the regular hex head bolt for installation. Correct? Pictures?

3. It says to make sure the bottom part of the "tool" doesn't rotate during installation. What does that mean? The bottom part appears to be the aluminum piece, which can't be held with a wrench.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like it should be this complicated. Hopefully I'll be able to get it done.
1: Not sure, it seems to have no use. You'll meed a much bigger one to tighten down the bolts.

2: The "tool" is the bolt that the silver RivNut is screwed into. You don't use those silver ones, you use the gold ones that are in the pack. Screw that installation bolt & nut into a gold RivNut. Then hold the nut with a wrench as you screw in the bolt. This will cause the RivNut to compress (mushroom) inside the fender.

3: other than holding that nut on the installation bolt, I don't see any other way to "hold" the RivNut. I am pretty sure it's referring to holding the nut with a wrench as you tighten the bolt.

BE VERY careful you make the 1st hole over the prop rod bracket correctly. Else, the rest is worthless. Mine will be fixed next week by my local mechanic since I screwed up that 1st location - even though I used a center punch and broke 2 pilot drill bits ;(

Good luck!
Michael J.

PS Please chime in if I have steered him wrong in any way - I'm not the best person to be giving advice on this install
Old 06-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #68
Berean

Quote:
1: Not sure, it seems to have no use. You'll meed a much bigger one to tighten down the bolts.

2: The "tool" is the bolt that the silver RivNut is screwed into. You don't use those silver ones, you use the gold ones that are in the pack. Screw that installation bolt & nut into a gold RivNut. Then hold the nut with a wrench as you screw in the bolt. This will cause the RivNut to compress (mushroom) inside the fender.

3: other than holding that nut on the installation bolt, I don't see any other way to "hold" the RivNut. I am pretty sure it's referring to holding the nut with a wrench as you tighten the bolt.

BE VERY careful you make the 1st hole over the prop rod bracket correctly. Else, the rest is worthless. Mine will be fixed next week by my local mechanic since I screwed up that 1st location - even though I used a center punch and broke 2 pilot drill bits ;(

Good luck!
Michael J.

PS Please chime in if I have steered him wrong in any way - I'm not the best person to be giving advice on this install
Thanks for the reply. What you're saying makes sense about the rivnut install. I'm pretty sure I get it now. Box wrench on the black nut, tighten with the socket wrench on the bolt, gold rivnut in the hole.

However that brings up a couple of questions (I guess for Pfadt)

1. Why the 5/16th wrench in the instructions? Mistake? What size do I need for the bolts?

2. What's the aluminum nut for on the "tool"? Confusing, especially if you look at the picture (yellow card) enclosed in the bag with the tool. It shows the aluminum nut below the sheet metal. I figured it must be part of the install.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #69
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. What you're saying makes sense about the rivnut install. I'm pretty sure I get it now. Box wrench on the black nut, tighten with the socket wrench on the bolt, gold rivnut in the hole.

However that brings up a couple of questions (I guess for Pfadt)

1. Why the 5/16th wrench in the instructions? Mistake? What size do I need for the bolts?

2. What's the aluminum nut for on the "tool"? Confusing, especially if you look at the picture (yellow card) enclosed in the bag with the tool. It shows the aluminum nut below the sheet metal. I figured it must be part of the install.
Can't answer the first one...I think you have the rest correct.

I believe the answer I got, from Pfadt, on the 2nd one is that the tool - the bolt & nut, comes attached to the RivNut. It's just not the one we should be using for the install.

Good luck!
Michael J.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #70
Berean

Quote:
Can't answer the first one...I think you have the rest correct.

I believe the answer I got, from Pfadt, on the 2nd one is that the tool - the bolt & nut, comes attached to the RivNut. It's just not the one we should be using for the install.

Good luck!
Michael J.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I think I'm good now to begin the install.

Toss the aluminum rivnet and figure out what size allen wrench to use on the bolts and I'm ready to begin.

Note to Pfadt: You should review your instructions and make them more user friendly. Also, if we don't need items like the aluminum rivnet, don't include them in the kit. It's unnecessarily confusing.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #71
Berean

Ok, I solved the mystery about the 5/16th wrench not fitting the bolt.

The wrench I got last week was the one the hardware store guy gave me when I asked for a 5/16ths. They keep them loose in drawers.

I went back today with the bolt to make sure I got the one that fits.

Well, guess what, the hardware store had the wrong wrenches in the 5/16th drawer.

I got an actual 5/16ths and it fits the bolt. Problem solved.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #72
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Ok, I solved the mystery about the 5/16th wrench not fitting the bolt.

The wrench I got last week was the one the hardware store guy gave me when I asked for a 5/16ths. They keep them loose in drawers.

I went back today with the bolt to make sure I got the one that fits.

Well, guess what, the hardware store had the wrong wrenches in the 5/16th drawer.

I got an actual 5/16ths and it fits the bolt. Problem solved.
wow
Old 06-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #73
PfadtRacing

Hi guys, glad you got it figured out. There are instructions included to explain the rivnut installation. Very basic stuff. We specifically include the install tool, instruction card, and sample rivnut to show the orientation for customers. It is imperative to install the rivnut in the orientation that it is shipped together in. If that was not included, we would get tons of customers botching the installation, because they were not orienting the install tool correctly. So that is why it is included in the install.

Glad to see you found the correct wrench!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #74
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm glad this worked out. Sometimes it's the little things, lol.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #75
Berean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Hi guys, glad you got it figured out. There are instructions included to explain the rivnut installation. Very basic stuff. We specifically include the install tool, instruction card, and sample rivnut to show the orientation for customers. It is imperative to install the rivnut in the orientation that it is shipped together in. If that was not included, we would get tons of customers botching the installation, because they were not orienting the install tool correctly. So that is why it is included in the install.

Glad to see you found the correct wrench!

Thanks for replying. Still, if I can offer a suggestion, if you want to show the correct rivnut orientation, just use one of the 4 gold rivnuts on the tool instead of an aluminum rivnut that isn't supposed to be used on the install. The extra rivnut, without any explanation in the instructions, is confusing.

I plan on installing mine next week. I'll report back how it goes.

Edit to add: I know it may seem that I'm being picky about small details but I'm an optical systems engineer, and I have to write specs for the installers, for every job I do. The installer has to be able to pick up my spec and do the install without having to guess about anything, or have any doubt about which part goes where, and all without any knowledge of optical systems. (Hardware store clerk mistake aside), since I couldn't do that with your spec, it was a bit frustrating.

Last edited by Berean; 06-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Tags
2010 camaro, pfadt, strut tower brace, torq