Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
jonm38

Drives: 2008 Chevy Silverado, 13 Camaro ZL1
IPhone? It's Future?

Has anyone heard of the Apple IPhone leaving ATT and going to Verizon or Apple doing a version for Verizon, any tech's out there might know?

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
ive heard that apples contract with att is up this summer for att having the iphone exclusevly (sp) doesnt mean att wont carry it just means they wont be the only one that carries it, i may be wrong but i think the razr was the same way wasnt it?
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
MMaglione
Mike "Meage"

Drives: Aqua Blue 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to MMaglione
i think they both are going to carry it the bad thing is that the reason why att is not as good a service as it should be is that the iphone is to good for the bandwidth or whatever (lol idk the terms) but anyway if it comes to verizon it my do the same thing and be too much for the service and mess it up...which i dont get service as it is so that would def. suck lol..
MMaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
iphone on tmobile already..
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
iphone on tmobile already..
they sell it already or you got one unlocked?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
they sell it already or you got one unlocked?
Had ATT just got sick of the cash. Unlocked it and took it over to Tmobile. Saved us 1800 a year.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
tightchevelle69
Derrick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
i have verizon and would love to have an iphone. i have a droid now and its great, but would trade for an iphone right now if it was with verizon!

2010 ABM 2SS/RS, A6, home Dec 10th, wifes birthday present!
2007 GMC Yukon XL, 2000 S10 Xtreme, 1969 Chevelle
tightchevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Had ATT just got sick of the cash. Unlocked it and took it over to Tmobile. Saved us 1800 a year.
i have att as well and know im spending too much and would like to go to tmobile its just there service isnt so great in some places around tx i go
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
i have verizon, but i wanted an iphone. i read online that verizon may be getting them by the beginning of 2011. i didn't believe it. i went to an at&t store and asked the sales rep and said yes that they're contract is over and apple likes verizon's service so they should be getting them
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
jonm38

Drives: 2008 Chevy Silverado, 13 Camaro ZL1
I have Verizon, I like the IPhone, got hooked on the IPod Touch. If I went for the IPhone now from ATT. I would have to pay a deposit to them. If it came to Verizon, I would just pay for the phone, not the deposit.

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
They have to make a different one just for Verizon. Plus Verizon has it's own App store kinda and they would have to figure out who's apps will be used. I would love to have an Iphone, so I hope they figure it out. I would get rid of the berry in a heartbeat...
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
I love iphone, but with att here in goldsboro. There's no 3G!!!! WTF
spoone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #13
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash84 View Post
They have to make a different one just for Verizon. Plus Verizon has it's own App store kinda and they would have to figure out who's apps will be used. I would love to have an Iphone, so I hope they figure it out. I would get rid of the berry in a heartbeat...
App store thing is irrelevant. Same idea as with Android phones on Verizon. I can download Android apps and Verizon apps in the marketplace on my Droid.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #14
Sheitskees

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash84 View Post
Why would they have to make a different phone just for Verizon?
Sheitskees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #15
AdnanHfuda

Drives: none :(
jailbreak one, and take it where you want. you lose nothing and gain access to apps apple has outruled (google voice, etc)
Old 04-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #16
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdnanHfuda View Post
jailbreak one, and take it where you want. you lose nothing and gain access to apps apple has outruled (google voice, etc)
The problem is the only other network that supports GSM in the U.S. is T-Mobile. Much smaller network with adequate voice coverage but the data network is pathetic. I have a 3GS with ATT, and unlocked my girlfriends 3G to run on T-Mobile. She saves about $50/month over ATT but the data is a joke. Needless to say, she knows where all the free public wi-fi spots are in town!

I'm curious to see how the iPhone does on the CDMA Sprint and Verizon networks. I really liked the speed and reliability of Sprints data network and I understand Verizon rates consistently high on voice quality.
2009 - 2012: 2010 2SS RS IBM M6 Photos, MGW Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms/Tunnel Brace, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported TB, Kooks 6511-Complete (Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers), dyno tuned by R.P.M. = 415 hp/412 lb-ft.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
JohnLew

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM
Figured that I would respond here from within the industry to a couple of the questions...

They would have to make a different phone for Verizon because Verizon (and Sprint) operate on a CDMA platform while the iPhone is a GSM phone (think BetaMax and VHS). The majority of the world uses GSM, which is one of the main reasons why Apple chose to make a GSM device - they can manufacturer one device and sell it all around the world, for the most part, without changing the device (every noticed how the iPhone is one of a very small number of phones that doesn't have a carrier logo - it might even be the only one now).

To muddy things even further, Verizon has announced that they will be using LTE (Long Term Evolution) for its next generation network (4G). This is the same technology that AT&T will be using and it's based on a GSM platform so, for awhile, possibly as long as 8 years, Verizon will be running voice service on CDMA (since it's a solid network already built out) and run data on LTE for it's advanced handsets. This would make a Verizon iPhone even more troublesome for Apple - they would have to integrate both technology platforms while remaining efficiency in size and cost of production.

Further, whoever went to AT&T store above and the rep told you that AT&T's exclusivity is over and Apple liked Verizon's service - I can't stress how much of an idiot that kid was. Look at these basic observations:

#1 - Trust me, not a single sales rep in any AT&T retail location knows (either way) the status of the AT&T and Apple contract and were never told anything about that contract. Ever.

#2 - When Apple released the iPad, they repeatedly talked about how happy they were with the AT&T partnership and only announced the iPad on AT&T, no one else.

#3 - No one from Apple has ever mentioned Verizon's service in public, ever. The only "stance" that Apple has taken on Verizon's service is their commercials where they have been blasting Verizon's network for not having the capability of simultaneous voice and data. Pretty telling...

#4 - The rumors of a Verizon iPhone began about two weeks after the first iPhone was released in 2007 and have yet to come true.

Based on all this, I seriously doubt all these rumors and, if I were to place a bet, I would suspect we do not see an iPhone on Verizon until at least 2012, more likely 2013-2014 when all these LTE networks are built out sufficiently and Apple can make one phone to work on both networks. Even then it might not happen but it will at least be realistic.

As far as unlocking/jailbreaking the iPhone to use on T-Mobile... why even bother? T-Mobile runs its 3G service on 1700mhz which is a frequency that the iPhone/iPad do not have. You're paying a premium for a device that you can't even use to its full capabilities. Would you buy a Camaro if you had to drive it 40mph all the time?
JohnLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #18
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Very well said John. I'm in the industry and have read the Verizon rumors for two years as well. I do think Verizon will have an opportunity to sell the iPhone, but not until they get their LTE system up and running.

Apple doesn't want to be in the carrier business. When you walk into their retail store, they want to make the transaction as simple and painless as possible. Creating a separate CDMA version would complicate everything, and wouldn't make a lot of sense since Verizon's new system isn't that far away.

My guess is that once Verizon and AT&T platforms both work, Apple will sell you the device in a box, and then let you choose the SIM card from either provider. I would also bet that if you're expecting a price war it isn't going to happen. Apple will make sure the contracts and monthly costs are the same from both providers.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #19
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Wow, you guys "within the industry" should do a bit more research.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopStories
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #20
Ccecil

Drives: 2010 Camaro B/B 2ss/rs A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoone123 View Post
I love iphone, but with att here in goldsboro. There's no 3G!!!! WTF
that sucks haha. We have 3G in lonok, Arkansas... All around me is nothing but rice fields and i have 3g ROFL
Ccecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
Wow, you guys "within the industry" should do a bit more research.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopStories
Oh OK. I stand completely corrected. If the Wall Street Journal has an article saying the iPhone is coming to Verizon, then that makes everything we just said total crap.

I did read that article, and it said nothing about verified information from either Apple or Verizon. It only references information obtained by "these people".

You might also want to read this article:

http://in.reuters.com/article/techno...47553120100409

or this one:

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/04/09/...one-this-year/

So there's a possibility that Verizon might be pushing up their LTE system to get the iPhone. And maybe, just maybe Apple would rather sell an iPhone compatible with both networks, instead of creating a separate version for a technology Verizon is about to discontinue. Of course all of this is complete speculation until something is actually announced.

Hopefully you get the point John and I are trying to make. You can read a thousand articles, but until you hear the announcement from Apple or Verizon, I'd take them with a grain of salt.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #22
Inferno2SS
www.inferno2ss.com

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I had Verizon for 5 years and was very happy with my coverage and phone quality. I switched to AT&T for an iPhone and was miserable for 2 years. The call quality was awful, I had clients tell me you really need to get a new phone it is frustrating trying to have a conversation with you. 2 weeks ago I got an Android and switched back to Verizon and have noticed a big difference in call quality.

My iPhone is now an iPod that sits in my car playing music. Its great to have all the apps and cool gadgets but if a phone cant function as a phone it is worthless.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #23
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno2SS View Post
I had Verizon for 5 years and was very happy with my coverage and phone quality. I switched to AT&T for an iPhone and was miserable for 2 years. The call quality was awful, I had clients tell me you really need to get a new phone it is frustrating trying to have a conversation with you. 2 weeks ago I got an Android and switched back to Verizon and have noticed a big difference in call quality.

My iPhone is now an iPod that sits in my car playing music. Its great to have all the apps and cool gadgets but if a phone cant function as a phone it is worthless.
Yea...I definitely think Verizon has the largest coverage area, and if I had a choice of any phone on any carrier it would be an iPhone with them. That being said, I'm not sure any carrier would've been ready for the onslaught of bandwidth the iPhone brought.

Luckily, I've had pretty good luck with AT&T in Houston, and I love my iPhone.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I apologize if I sounded like a peckerhead. My point in posting that link was pretty much the same as yours though, in that until an "official" announcement is made, it's all speculation. However, the news that has been leaking about Apple building a Iphone that will run on CDMA may not be Gospel but, it is a strong indicator. Up to now, there have been rumors about development but, not actual production. I find the Wall Street Journal reporting such as a bit more credible than "industry insiders" who post on a forum. The WSJ is not the National Enquirer nor the Star and actually fact checks before they put anything to print. They wouldn't report anything unless they have a credible source. Unless you work at Apple and have first hand knowledge then you aren't an industry insider. Anybody that works at an ATT kiosk in the mall can claim they're an industry insider. At the end of the day, it all comes down to $$$. From a business standpoint, Apple is losing money by selling exclusively with ATT. I know they are posting insane amounts of profit with ATT but, they could be making a heck of a lot more if they were able to capture the Verizon and/or Sprint market.

I too switched from Verizon to ATT for the Iphone and am lucky that Indiana actually has decent 3G coverage. I have zero regrets about switching and don't miss Verizon's firm grasp on 3rd party apps on their network. I had a Blackberry Storm before I made the jump and the ratio of free apps to pay apps was pretty low. The prices were also kinda ridiculous. Anyhow, just my 2cents.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #25
JohnLew

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
I apologize if I sounded like a peckerhead. My point in posting that link was pretty much the same as yours though, in that until an "official" announcement is made, it's all speculation. However, the news that has been leaking about Apple building a Iphone that will run on CDMA may not be Gospel but, it is a strong indicator. Up to now, there have been rumors about development but, not actual production. I find the Wall Street Journal reporting such as a bit more credible than "industry insiders" who post on a forum. The WSJ is not the National Enquirer nor the Star and actually fact checks before they put anything to print. They wouldn't report anything unless they have a credible source. Unless you work at Apple and have first hand knowledge then you aren't an industry insider. Anybody that works at an ATT kiosk in the mall can claim they're an industry insider. At the end of the day, it all comes down to $$$. From a business standpoint, Apple is losing money by selling exclusively with ATT. I know they are posting insane amounts of profit with ATT but, they could be making a heck of a lot more if they were able to capture the Verizon and/or Sprint market.

I too switched from Verizon to ATT for the Iphone and am lucky that Indiana actually has decent 3G coverage. I have zero regrets about switching and don't miss Verizon's firm grasp on 3rd party apps on their network. I had a Blackberry Storm before I made the jump and the ratio of free apps to pay apps was pretty low. The prices were also kinda ridiculous. Anyhow, just my 2cents.
Darth,

I didn't take it as a peckerhead comment but I was going to post back something sarcastic You're putting a lot of faith in the WSJ when they have yet to be correct about a single iPhone "rumor". This isn't their first foray into trying to predict what is going to happen with iPhone. As recently as January, immediately prior to the iPad announcement, they were 100% certain that Apple was going to announce a Verizon iPhone at that event... did that happen? The WSJ credibility is very low when it comes to Apple and the iPhone. Recently, WSJ has just been rehashing rumors that first appear on blogs.

It's sad but the era of factual, double and triple checked journalism is over.

I would also rethink the assertion that Apple is losing money by selling the iPhone only with AT&T.

Let's say that 60% of Verizon customers that were going to buy the iPhone already switched to AT&T and bought it (pretty conservative estimates). That leaves 40% to be had (not of the total customer base, of the people that were in the market for the iPhone). If Apple ends the exclusivity agreement with AT&T then they could capture this additional market but their increase in sales would have to account for the lower profit. Neither AT&T or Verizon are going to pay them insane contractual dollars if the device isn't exclusive.

If the following formula holds true (which many think it does), then it makes more sense for Apple to stay exclusive:

(AT&T to Apple payments) + (AT&T Exclusive sales) > (Increase in sales w/ Verizon iPhone)

My guess (which is more than "some AT&T employee in a kiosk" ) is that when AT&T came to play on the iPad ($30 unlimited data, no contract) that the exclusivity was extended.

Obviously, this is my 2 cents as well and things can change pretty quickly.
JohnLew is offline   Reply With Quote