Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery All Camaro related pictures, videos and other assorted media.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #101
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,214
10 different paint colors and 8 different stripe packages means 80 different combinations. Plenty of combos to make everyone happy!
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #102
Robin Lawrence
 
Robin Lawrence's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Galesburg, Illinois
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCamaro View Post
JohnnyCamaro-AKA John Cox from GM Accessories:

Just to clarify, the comments and beliefs I make are those of myself and not of the company I represent.
"I am John Cox and I approved this message"


Hi John,


Robin
__________________
Holley Performance Products

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #103
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...
 
CoolestCamaro873's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 567
I have to say that making Cyber Gray over Black stripes an option from the factory is a huge mistake. Most people will want their stripes put on by the factory, because it is done right and you know there is no sand paper particles, dust, dirt, ect... under your stripes. If the dealer does it there is a chance of this happening, which can scratch the paint and ruin the stripes, depending on which dealer you go to for the stripes.

My point is that I would say the two most popular stripe colors are white and black, therefore white and black should be options from the factory and orange, silver, and cyber gray should be dealer installed stripes, considering more than likely they will be chosen less than a white or black stripe package. Or offer all of them from the factory, or at least Black, white, and Silver, and make Orange, Cyber Gray and maybe a Red and Blue as a dealer installed option. I know alot of people that are going to go with Cyber Gray stripes on their car versus Black stripes because they want the factory to do it. But, I refuse to do this and put Cyber Gray Stripes on my Rally Yellow SS, I will ahve to setle for dealer installed Black Rally Stripes or have them painted on, even thoguh it would lower the value of my car on a trade in or resale due to the fact that it isn't stock.

And, yes painting your car does lower the value on trade ins because once the car has been painted the dealership doesn't know if it has been in an accident or not, and whenever you trade in the vehicle they ask, but they have to go by your word unless they can see for sure it has been painted. Even if you have stripes painted for looks, they automatically asume the car was hit and you had it painted like that after it already needed to be painted.
__________________
CoolestCamaro873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #104
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Painted on stripes can be removed if they were painted over clear. Might cost you a few hundred in labor if you don't do it yourself though. Also, if you go with vinyl you can just peel them off.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #105
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple
 
HTWLSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: +45° 23' 30.0588", -122° 48' 7.3296"
Posts: 655
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
A documented dealer installed option still carries weight, so don't discount the value of an LPO (Limited Production Order) number on your order/build sheet/window sticker.
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #106
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!
 
DET MUSL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 313
It will be interesting to see what kind of warrenty these stripes will cary (if they'll be included in the 3 year/ 36,000 mile bumper to bumper.
__________________
Current Ride
2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Mods:
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #107
CWI
Helping Build America
 
CWI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nationwide
Posts: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DET MUSL View Post
It will be interesting to see what kind of warrenty these stripes will cary (if they'll be included in the 3 year/ 36,000 mile bumper to bumper.
EXACTLY. They will undoubtedly have a minimum warranty of 1 hour. That should be plenty of time to inspect the stripes before you accept the work performed. If there is a problem, find it right away and have it fixed. No
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #108
CWI
Helping Build America
 
CWI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nationwide
Posts: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
I have to say that making Cyber Gray over Black stripes an option from the factory is a huge mistake. Most people will want their stripes put on by the factory, because it is done right and you know there is no sand paper particles, dust, dirt, ect... under your stripes. If the dealer does it there is a chance of this happening, which can scratch the paint and ruin the stripes, depending on which dealer you go to for the stripes.

My point is that I would say the two most popular stripe colors are white and black, therefore white and black should be options from the factory and orange, silver, and cyber gray should be dealer installed stripes, considering more than likely they will be chosen less than a white or black stripe package. Or offer all of them from the factory, or at least Black, white, and Silver, and make Orange, Cyber Gray and maybe a Red and Blue as a dealer installed option. I know alot of people that are going to go with Cyber Gray stripes on their car versus Black stripes because they want the factory to do it. But, I refuse to do this and put Cyber Gray Stripes on my Rally Yellow SS, I will ahve to setle for dealer installed Black Rally Stripes or have them painted on, even thoguh it would lower the value of my car on a trade in or resale due to the fact that it isn't stock.

And, yes painting your car does lower the value on trade ins because once the car has been painted the dealership doesn't know if it has been in an accident or not, and whenever you trade in the vehicle they ask, but they have to go by your word unless they can see for sure it has been painted. Even if you have stripes painted for looks, they automatically asume the car was hit and you had it painted like that after it already needed to be painted.
Read post #107 above, stop
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #109
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...
 
CoolestCamaro873's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Read post #107 above, stop
I'm not crying, I just would prefer if my stripes were done by the factory, as most people wpuld. And I think that most would agree that Black is a more popular stripe option than Cyber Gray, which is a new unseen color. The fact is I'm in the business and no matter what if those stripes go bad, the dealer will take care of it for me, that is not what I'm worried about. I'm friends with many Chevy Dealer owners, I just don't want stripes comnig on and off my brand new car over and over due to someone not knowing what they are doing. My brother had dealer stripes put on his '05 Mustang. They weren't done right and bubbled a week and than a month later, the dealer took care of it both times and two years later even gave him new ones free all he had to do was tip the guy who did the work, but it's a pain having to have them do it over and over risking a scratch on my new Camaro is not something I'm looking foward to!
__________________
CoolestCamaro873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #110
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
it will all work out, i know that when my parents tahoe was detailed by the dealer it was amazingly clean so i would trust them to prepare and install the stripes.
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #111
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 25,900
No one wants to put out a crappy car/job. If there is a mistake, find it and they will fix it. I know you will want to take your car right then and there, but you WILL have to wait!
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #112
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 17,910
Are there any drawbacks to having vinyl stripes put on BEFORE the clear coat? I don't think the factory would do this, but does anyone know why? Wouldn't that keep the nicks and scratched off the vinyl, help keep the vinyl from peeling up on the edges, and produce a glossy painted look like the rest of the car that people like? (Matte black stripe people are an exception)
__________________
"J, you're my favorite Pokemod" ~Revo1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #113
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Are there any drawbacks to having vinyl stripes put on BEFORE the clear coat? I don't think the factory would do this, but does anyone know why? Wouldn't that keep the nicks and scratched off the vinyl, help keep the vinyl from peeling up on the edges, and produce a glossy painted look like the rest of the car that people like? (Matte black stripe people are an exception)
Cost is the only drawback I can think of. Putting them under the clear coat is the best way to do vinyl. It holds it down and the UV protection of the clear coat makes them last as long as the paint. Vinyl comes in many different grades/thicknesses. The higher the grade the longer it lasts and the thinner it is. Most of the stuff I use for outdoor use is rated at 7 years.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #114
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 17,910
So it costs more to put the stripes on before the clear coat? How does that work?
__________________
"J, you're my favorite Pokemod" ~Revo1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #115
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Are there any drawbacks to having vinyl stripes put on BEFORE the clear coat? I don't think the factory would do this, but does anyone know why? Wouldn't that keep the nicks and scratched off the vinyl, help keep the vinyl from peeling up on the edges, and produce a glossy painted look like the rest of the car that people like? (Matte black stripe people are an exception)
Fundamental problem - 2 different materials expand and contract to temperature changes at different times. Imagine what will happen when you have paint on the bottom, vinyl in the middle and paint on the top. You're asking for trouble.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #116
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Never had stripes on a car before. How durable are they? I'd be worried that they would begin to come off after several washings. Or maybe when you have alot of ice and salt.
I have a '97 30th anniversary SS with 75,000 miles. This is the special edition white car that came with vinyl orange stripes. I am happy to tell everyone that aside from some fading in the color, the stripes are still in good condition. Now the car has seen limited snow and salt but it still has seen some bad weather.

Come to think of it, my '81 Z/28 still has it's original factory stripes (you know how much vinyl is on these cars) and they are still presentable after 25 years!

As long as it's 3M quality, I willl not be worried.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #117
logan1080
 
logan1080's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 692
buy it with the vinyl. if you take care of it it will last for years then when they wear out get them painted on.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #118
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
So it costs more to put the stripes on before the clear coat? How does that work?
I'm talking about on the assembly line. They would have to interrupt the painting process to apply decals and then only for certain cars.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #119
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith
 
Txturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosenberg,Texas
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Fundamental problem - 2 different materials expand and contract to temperature changes at different times. Imagine what will happen when you have paint on the bottom, vinyl in the middle and paint on the top. You're asking for trouble.
Its not a problem.....its done all the time.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #120
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,321
I've been looking into what it would cost to get the stripes painted and Mustang owners are usually paying between $800 and $1500 to get it done. The ones paying less are the ones that are only getting stripes on the hood and trunk lids (no bumper/roof) because those two panels can be removed from the car completely and painted then fully cleared without needing to mask the entire car.

I don't particularly care for the close-up look of the vinyl being used today. 5-10 feet away, it's fine. Up close, it looks kind of cheap. I'm also not concerned about trade-in or collectability down the road since this Camaro will be kept in the family for years.

I'm thinking that I may go with painted stripes from the dealer before taking delivery so it's done before my car leaves the lot. I'm pretty sure that I'm going with Red Jewel as my main color and I'll pull in the Black Granite from the Malibu for the rally stripes.

I want the rally stripes on the hood to be similar to the 'vert concept because they taper around the hood bulge instead of just being one width front to back. But I want the trunk stripes to be like Bumblebee's, in that they are aligned with the outer edges of the trunk lid near the rear window.



rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #121
Beau Tie
 
Beau Tie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2007 Camry
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 145
Send a message via AIM to Beau Tie
Personally, I can't fathom after market accessories or decal/paint. I have some sort of OEM fetish, as well as a clean paint job fetish. Granted, the striping does it give that extra retro appearance, that "matchbox" look that many enjoy.

Not my cup of tea, but I look forward to other camaro owners out on the road with these. I think paint is the best option, professionally of course.
__________________
Beau Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #122
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,136
Does anyone know if the pinstripes around the rally stripes are painted on or are they vinyl too?
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #123
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Does anyone know if the pinstripes around the rally stripes are painted on or are they vinyl too?
Nothing that is dealer installed is painted on so no they are vinyl.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #124
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Nothing that is dealer installed is painted on so no they are vinyl.
Crap. Waxing or doing anything on the paint between the rally stripes and pinstripes are going to be a pain.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #125
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt
 
dvnt88's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, Ore
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I have a '97 30th anniversary SS with 75,000 miles. This is the special edition white car that came with vinyl orange stripes. I am happy to tell everyone that aside from some fading in the color, the stripes are still in good condition. Now the car has seen limited snow and salt but it still has seen some bad weather.

Come to think of it, my '81 Z/28 still has it's original factory stripes (you know how much vinyl is on these cars) and they are still presentable after 25 years!

As long as it's 3M quality, I willl not be worried.
Agreed. ")
__________________
"KICKIN' ASSPHALT"
dvnt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Details about Camaro to be announced?? Bowtie Guy Z28 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 14 06-03-2012 09:48 AM
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 04:38 PM
The Camaro team at GM seeks answers ChrisL 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 148 08-28-2008 08:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.