Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
GameOver620

Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer
Camaro... good idea as 1st car?

I've been reading the different threads for a while and I noticed that many kids seem to be interested in a Camaro as their first car. Do you guys think it's a good idea? How young is too young?
GameOver620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
15 is too young. Everyone should have a car that they enjoy so long as they can enjoy it maturely. Don't drive like a punk 16-year-old to avoid getting ridiculed for having such a nice starter ride.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver620 View Post
I've been reading the different threads for a while and I noticed that many kids seem to be interested in a Camaro as their first car. Do you guys think it's a good idea? How young is too young?
Well depends on who you ask what kind of answer you will get. Most younger people will say Yeah sure why not, while most older people that have either had one themselves when they were your age or had a son or daughter that got one will say nope get some experience in a non sportscar first. My opinion is in between... as long as it isn't a Z28 or other high powered Camaro then any V6 would be a good starter car.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
diddiyo

Drives: .
Not a good idea imho. They should practice for a few months (at least!) with something less powerful, there are more important things to watch out for on the road than just putting the pedal to the metal, which quite frankly most kids wanna do.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
dchase

Drives: Avalanche
I wouldnt say first car no. I'm 18 started out driving a truck, and yah i ragged it out, petal to the floor and burnt the tires up. But once your dad tells you that your paying for it, everything changes. I started saving for my camaro now but going to wait cause insurance will kill me. I think some kids can be responsible. My dad trust me driving his porsche around, so i guess im responsible enough. (Think he loves it more then me though so i extremely careful)
dchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
I think everyone should start out with a piece of crap car, so they will appreciate something nice and new like a camaro.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
I think everyone should start out with a piece of crap car, so they will appreciate something nice and new like a camaro.

I agree with that.I started with an 82 2.8 v6 POS Camaro.About a year later when i had enough for a good down payment,I graduated to a 90 forumla 350(17 yrs old).By that time i had enough experience under my belt to mature when driving when needed. But i also come from a family where all the guys have muscle cars.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Imo a new car is NEVER a good idea for a new driver. They already have outrageous insurance due to them being new drivers for the 1st 3-4 years so it's not really a good idea to add an extra $200 a month for insurance on a new car not to mention the monthly payments. Plus the statistics of a new driver being involved in a wreak is really high and as much as new cars cost to fix now a days, I don't see how someone still in school can afford the costs.

I would have to say that 20 is about the youngest imo to buy a new car. This way they have gotten the discount from the insurance company if they didn't have a wreak or ticket their first 3-4 years and are hopefully at least a sophomore or a junior in college and has more spare time to get a decent paying job to pay the costs.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
bought my 1st car when i was 18, i didnt even have my license yet, brand new 30k msrp truck for 24k (GMS)
Old 09-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
kashtrey

Drives: '02 Chevy Blazer
It is really hard to set an arbitrary number of who is too young for a new car or certain kind of car; just like it is hard to say that at a certain age someone is a good driver. I mean a lot of 40 year olds are worse drivers than some teenagers.

I for one am buying the car next year probably around October (around my 20th B-day) or around the summer of 2010 depending on if $15,000 will be a good enough down for a SS/RS loaded. It will be my first car in terms of ownership.
kashtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
My first car was a '95 Z28 and I was 20 at the time (I borrowed my parents' cars up to then and/or rode my enduro bike to work) and although I did have a '76 Chevy van I drove for a few months, in retrospect, I'm on the fence. I didn't always drive safely but I did most of the time. I was always taking off from lights fast though, and although I never engaged in a game of tag on the freeway, I did have some brief unplanned freeway runs away from traffic.

My point is, that I felt responsible for my car because I was paying for it, therefore, I knew there were consiquences that would effect me directly if I didn't drive responsibly. I don't know there are many young people mature enough to respect a brand new car, that they don't have to pay for, let alone a car like this - even a V6 model. Could I drive a car like this responsibly back in the day? Maybe I shouldn't but probably would've wanted to.

IMVHO, not everyone is the same, but the majority unfortunately, probably isn't responsible enough to have any sports car as a first...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I think as long as the kid is paying for it they should get what they want. I had a 69 Camaro in 1982, paid for it myself took good care of it and never drove like an idiot because if it broke or I wrecked I would have to pay for it. Went to school with many rich kids who drove like crap because they had nothing invested personally. Kids like that will treat everything like crap.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
kashtrey

Drives: '02 Chevy Blazer
Good point, it's hard to respect something that was just given to you. Though I would love to have rich parents to pay for my car, I will be proud to say that I bought my brand new Camaro myself.
kashtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
really it all depends on how your raised, not every kid that is given or is helped by thier parents to get a new car is going to treat it the same.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
It all depends on the type of kid getting one, im 17 turning 18 in April and im getting my LT/RS then too. I learned how to drive stick when I was 9 (CHevy Sprint) lol great car, but it all really depends on if the kid is responsible, nothing is too powerful for anyone. I ride a 1000cc sport bike and started when i was 16, everyone always said that it was too powerful, its just too powerful to those who are not responsible and those who don't know how to ride a bike. As long as you lean how to ride or drive with a less powerful car, it doesnt matter what age you get a 300 horspower car at. I wouldnt give someone a 300 horsepower car if they always got in trouble and had no idea of how to control a car. As long as you respect your car and know what it can really do , you'll be able to control it. We al speed on the odd ocasion, you just need to know when to draw the line
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
P.S my car will be given to me, got to pay my insurance and maintanence, but reguardless i will know the worth of the car and will always be my baby, could never harm by Camaro. Question to all, when wa the first time yu ever drove a car in your life, whether you were on someones lap, or on your own? I was 4 and sat on m uncles lap and steered his z/28, thats when i knew that i would always get a camaro.. please tell
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
I was two, I stole the keys from the kitchen got in the car started it and backed it up in the drive way. At least that's what my parents tell me, I obviously don't remember that event at all.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
I can't say that theres a "too young" category to own a Camaro...my first car is the one one im driving now. I was 15 when i got my Camaro SS...I didn't know how to drive a standard, but I learned within a few days...If your responsible and can take care of your car then I'd say go for it. I've loved my Camaro for the past 5 years and can't wait to start a new chapter with my new Camaro ill be ordering :-)
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
DntWrryBeHappy21
Patiently Waiting...

Drives: whatevers in the driveway atm
Send a message via AIM to DntWrryBeHappy21
uhm okay im 17 turning 18 in december dont expect a new car right now im driving my sisters 04 nissan sentra while shes at college. I have been driving cars since I guess 6th or 7th grade but even with that experience I dont think a new driver should get a new car. Granted they pay for it themselves (insurance or the actual car) I still think an older car is the best which would then make you appreciate your new car later on. I dont expect a new car from my parents (especially not the 5th gen I insist on buying it myself so I can feel accomplished) and nor do i want a BRAND NEW one right now...cant enjoy with school and then college next year.

So basically I dont think any new driver should have a new car whether they are paying for it or not. But as long as they drive responsibly I dont see a reason too. There are alot of kids in my grade driving expensive cars (s2000, lexus is250,) it just depends on if they take care of it and dont drive stupidly

One day....
DntWrryBeHappy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #20
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
I would haft to agree with the general consensus on this. I would say that 16-21yrs old is just to young for a car like this, especially the SS version. IMO, Young adults need to get some experience behind the wheel of a not so potent car. I would tend to agree with you Pink on the fact that most if not all young adults need to start off with a not so great car. That way if you don't take care of it then you will be walking. Let the car have some problems with the acceleration, slower to stop, wider turning radius. That way you pay more attention to your driving and less to showing off, plus you hone your driving skills.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Camaro sure.. just not one newer than 2002 or bigger than a v6.

Experiance... you wont have it that young. period. and why waste money you will need later.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
Reborn

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
To all the people that say "don't get your kid a new car"...

They don't do it to spoil their kids rotten. They do it for safety. Cars keep on getting safer and more advanced. Most parents know that kids don't need that power, they just want them to have a safe car. The newer cars have safety standards now that cars back then didn't. A new car for a new driver is not a bad idea as long as it is a good beginning car.

And on the other hand, some teenagers just shouldn't be given a car period. It depends on how you were raised and how responsible you are now. People that admire cars and have always liked them, will respect their car with the utmost care no matter what it is. Some others could care less as mom and dad are paying for it.

It completely depends on who the kid is.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Is this thread about age? Or about first cars.......
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
My first car was a 1978 Mercury Cougar...a real boat of a car that was as old I was. It was a great first car...after having to parallel park it and maneuver it around, every car I had after that was a piece of cake to control. I'm very glad I had it as a first car and not something nicer, though. I'd dinged it once on a friend's basketball goal trying to back out of their driveway, and I'd also put it in a 4-foot drainage ditch once while learning a hard lesson about driving in the rain. And if I had something new, I'd have been devastated after that ditch wreck (and possibly hurt badly...a smaller car would have rolled into it...my behemoth just spanned the width of it with the bumpers resting on the ground and the tires hanging over the ditch ).

So I think for the first year at least, it'll be good to get something you won't mind seeing scraped up a bit so you can get used to driving, and then move up to something better when you've had a bit of experience under your belt.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #25
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
well considering I'm 17 and my car is a 95 civic and i just started a new job a few weeks ago, I'm not in any rush of getting a camaro, i will probably save up for 2 or 3 years and then buy a v6 camaro when I'm 18 or 19

IMVHO: parents should not buy there kid a camaro the kid doesn't learn anything about the value of money

no offense but 16 year old teen doesn't know how to handle a 400hp beast and neither do I.