Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #76
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSuwaidi View Post
a 5* hotel car spa!!
He's trying to catch up with me. I've got another $400 worth of stuff coming in this week. I've got to keep him at bay!

__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #77
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur
 
2LTRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lakewood, ca
Posts: 1,136
AJ has me beat by a mile... His is much neater than mine as well. I can't outdo my teacher!
__________________
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #78
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,733
Only my garage is neat. My house looks like a war zone. Guess where i spend most of my time....
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #79
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur
 
2LTRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lakewood, ca
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Only my garage is neat. My house looks like a war zone. Guess where i spend most of my time....
Just blame it on the kitties.. everyone will understand
__________________
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #80
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,688
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Ok. Clayed and waxed the car. It actually looks better than before I used the compound. I know claying doesn't remove swirls but I'm thinking maybe it was more of a dried haze.

Definately not as bad as it could have been.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #81
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur
 
2LTRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lakewood, ca
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Ok. Clayed and waxed the car. It actually looks better than before I used the compound. I know claying doesn't remove swirls but I'm thinking maybe it was more of a dried haze.

Definately not as bad as it could have been.
What wax did you use? Sounds like maybe a wax with some filling agents.
__________________
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #82
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,733
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #83
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY
 
Chad's ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Roseville
Posts: 951
if you don't have too many swirls in your ride, can you still use the porter cable and swirl and haze remover just to get that shine goin on? I am currently using some mothers products including that power ball for paint that attaches to your cordless drill. Seems to look great, but after watching some of your videos Junkman I kinda want to buy the PC for my ride and retire my power ball.
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #84
Stex

 
Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South texas
Posts: 786
After all this PQ, please say you did use Adams....on a side note, thanks Junkman for all the info in all your vids...has helped me understand how to really care for the paint...and how to spend $s ...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #85
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad's 2ss View Post
if you don't have too many swirls in your ride, can you still use the porter cable and swirl and haze remover just to get that shine goin on? I am currently using some mothers products including that power ball for paint that attaches to your cordless drill. Seems to look great, but after watching some of your videos Junkman I kinda want to buy the PC for my ride and retire my power ball.
You DEFINITELY want to get a PC! That Powerball is a breat product for your wheels but it is dangerous on your paint! The reason being is that a drill acts as a rotor polisher does in that it just spins. Unlike the PC (which is an orbital polisher). there is no forgiving with a drill. If you get that Powerball spinning in one spot long enough, you CAN burn the paint. Quit using that thing on your paint. I don't care if they do say that it is made for paint, a drill is NOT. Using a drill on paint is like using a Dremel tool to apply lotion to leather. Drills are NOT buffers.

You may not even need SHR if your swirls are not that bad. You may be able to fix them with FMP. However, you should get a kit that includes both just in case and you will also need to clay your car if it hasn't been properly clayed yet. Make sure you get a gallon of Detail Spray in your order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
After all this PQ, please say you did use Adams....on a side note, thanks Junkman for all the info in all your vids...has helped me understand how to really care for the paint...and how to spend $s ...
I know... wives hate me!
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #86
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
He's trying to catch up with me. I've got another $400 worth of stuff coming in this week. I've got to keep him at bay!

You mean I need all those products just to keep one car looking good. I wouldn't know where start. I guess I keep the swirls. :(
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #87
Moriartii

 
Moriartii's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 1,298
So after reading this, in what order do I put or use the product? :P!!!! Sorry I just couldnt help myself.

Glad it turned out not as bad PG.
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #88
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You mean I need all those products just to keep one car looking good. I wouldn't know where start. I guess I keep the swirls. :(
No, you don't need that much stuff! I have everything that Adam's makes, regardless of if I use it or not. That's because people drop by my garage to try out any product Adam's has for free. That way, they can get an idea as to how well it performs before they spend a dime. I also travel around the country showing folks how good this stuff is so I have multiple bottles of the most commonly used products. That way I don't run out.

I do have a lot of towels but my towels are used for specific things. In reality, if you just wanted to work on your paint, this would be about all you need. I would add some clay and about a gallon of detail spray to that order though.

One thing that guys fail to understand is that you remove the swirls and scratches from your paint ONCE. At that point, you quit doing the things that put the swirls in your paint to begin with. That's why you see me do all the things I do in my videos from the 2-bucket wash to the dust removal process I follow. You don't keep buffing on your car all the time. It's like sticking your hand in fire. After experiencing that painful second of a brain fart, you refrained from ever doing it again. Thus, you don't have to get treated every month for 3rd degree burns.

Caring for your paint is the same way. Now that you know the error of your ways, invest in the equipment and time to fix your issues and then refrain from recreating them. In corporate America, I think they call it "preventive maintenance". You know, it actually makes sense!
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #89
IROCanSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 89 IROC 350
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Back roads, southern Ohio
Posts: 12,519
Hey guys... impressive collection of Adams! I still use Zaino and since i have silver it works just fine. Silver is so easy... I will be checking out the Adams at C5 Fest though!

OH and I found PQ's new "Louisiana Duster"

IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #90
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Hey guys... impressive collection of Adams! I still use Zaino and since i have silver it works just fine. Silver is so easy... I will be checking out the Adams at C5 Fest though!

OH and I found PQ's new "Louisiana Duster"


Ya'll leave my man PQ alone! I got your back PQ!
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #91
Awesome_SS
Jeff
 
Awesome_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hayes, Va
Posts: 321
There for a minute I thought I was seeing the Adam's warehouse of stock.
Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #92
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
No, you don't need that much stuff! I have everything that Adam's makes, regardless of if I use it or not. That's because people drop by my garage to try out any product Adam's has for free. That way, they can get an idea as to how well it performs before they spend a dime. I also travel around the country showing folks how good this stuff is so I have multiple bottles of the most commonly used products. That way I don't run out.

I do have a lot of towels but my towels are used for specific things. In reality, if you just wanted to work on your paint, this would be about all you need. I would add some clay and about a gallon of detail spray to that order though.

One thing that guys fail to understand is that you remove the swirls and scratches from your paint ONCE. At that point, you quit doing the things that put the swirls in your paint to begin with. That's why you see me do all the things I do in my videos from the 2-bucket wash to the dust removal process I follow. You don't keep buffing on your car all the time. It's like sticking your hand in fire. After experiencing that painful second of a brain fart, you refrained from ever doing it again. Thus, you don't have to get treated every month for 3rd degree burns.

Caring for your paint is the same way. Now that you know the error of your ways, invest in the equipment and time to fix your issues and then refrain from recreating them. In corporate America, I think they call it "preventive maintenance". You know, it actually makes sense!
Well, that's a relief. I do use adam's products on my ride just not quit as many.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #93
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs_SS View Post
There for a minute I thought I was seeing the Adam's warehouse of stock.
Uh, no.... that would be here!





The Camaros get much love from Adam's Polishes!
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #94
sctriguy
 
sctriguy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
He's trying to catch up with me. I've got another $400 worth of stuff coming in this week. I've got to keep him at bay!

Ordered my Adam's Junkman Kit yesterday. Great video tutorials! My wife has a 2009 Black Tahoe LTZ that needs correction, I imagine it will take more than a day. I will get lots of practice before I shine up the CGM 2SS/RS. I know you mention 1 product 1 pad in your videos do i need to use 1 product 1 pad 1 car?
sctriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #95
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,688
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
What wax did you use? Sounds like maybe a wax with some filling agents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post


I just used a sample that came with the clay bars I bought. McGuires I think. Clayed and rubbed the wax on. (was up til 3:30 am) and let it dry til around noon. Wiped it of. Of course I plan on Adams and a PC but I just needed to do the best I could in the mean time. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
OH and I found PQ's new "Louisiana Duster"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post


Ya'll leave my man PQ alone! I got your back PQ!



__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #96
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,688
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I can't wait to do the Adams thing. As you guys can tell, I can't sit still. As shiny as my car looks right now, I can't freakin' wait till it's done the right way.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #97
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur
 
2LTRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lakewood, ca
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I can't wait to do the Adams thing. As you guys can tell, I can't sit still. As shiny as my car looks right now, I can't freakin' wait till it's done the right way.
Nothing makes me happier than a swirl free finish
__________________
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #98
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur
 
2LTRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lakewood, ca
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
He's trying to catch up with me. I've got another $400 worth of stuff coming in this week. I've got to keep him at bay!


And why are your microfibers collecting 100 year old dust teach?
__________________
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #99
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctriguy View Post
Ordered my Adam's Junkman Kit yesterday. Great video tutorials! My wife has a 2009 Black Tahoe LTZ that needs correction, I imagine it will take more than a day. I will get lots of practice before I shine up the CGM 2SS/RS. I know you mention 1 product 1 pad in your videos do i need to use 1 product 1 pad 1 car?
First off, it will definitely take you more than one day. Start grasping the concept of DAYS.

The only time you have to dedicate a pad to a car is if the paint job is a single stage job. Other than that, no. You will find out, however, that you are going to need more than one orange pad. I'm just warning you ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
And why are your microfibers collecting 100 year old dust teach?
If you look just above them, there's a tarp covering them. You didn't think it would be that easy, now did you?
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #100
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur
 
2LTRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lakewood, ca
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008
If you look just above them, there's a tarp covering them. You didn't think it would be that easy, now did you?


IMHO dust doesn't just fall from the ceiling. It gets blown around in the garage, especially when guys like us blow dry their car in the garage. Even the exhaust from the cars can kick up dust from the floor. I don't trust leaving my expensive towels in the open to collect sandpaper for my paint... I do leave my junk towels out though.
__________________
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How bad is it??? Susantroy1 Off-topic Discussions 5 10-27-2009 11:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.