Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 04-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
tmurphycardesign

Drives: 2010 camaro, v6, manual, cyber grey
spacers

hey all, i just put the ss wheels on my v6 and lowered with the eibach lowering springs...now i want to add spacers, however i know that this can be a slippery slope. Ive heard many horror stories with spacers and such and wanted to get ur opinions on what spacers are good to go with and who i should stay away from..im not talking about much, i just want to pull the wheels and tires out to be flush with the wheel flats. so if anyone has had good luck with a certain brand or has had bad luck with certain ones, please let me know!
tmurphycardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Berean

Drives: Truck
Don't use spacers unless you change to longer lugs also.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I heard B&R have spacers, but they're all back ordered until at least May! I am having to get custom spacers made since my car is unusable at the moment since the front Havoc wheels don't clear the KW V3's that were put on my car! I can't wait until May! ;( I think they are making 18 or 20mm spacers with new lugs.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
tmurphycardesign

is b&r considered to be a good brand when searching for spacers?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
if the wheels don't fit, change your wheels. spacers are bad news.

i worked in a tire shop for 4 years and saw a lot of cars come in with missing wheels, cuz they fell off the car and most of them had wheel spacers on.

if you HAVE to use wheels spacers, get the ones that bolt to the stock lugs and have separate lugs coming off the spacer, like this pic below.

DO NOT BUY THIS TYPE!!!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
tmurphycardesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
if the wheels don't fit, change your wheels. spacers are bad news.

i worked in a tire shop for 4 years and saw a lot of cars come in with missing wheels, cuz they fell off the car and most of them had wheel spacers on.

if you HAVE to use wheels spacers, get the ones that bolt to the stock lugs and have separate lugs coming off the spacer, like this pic below.

DO NOT BUY THIS TYPE!!!

thanks! that helps alot, thanks for the advice
Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

I wish I didn't have to use them, but mine will be forged with the separate lug bolts. I'm not changing my new wheels for the new coil overs...an expensive proposition! I don't like the idea but really don't have an easy choice. The Havoc's have the extra space to accommodate the OEM lugs.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 04-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
balthazar

Drives: Black 2SS/RS w/Ground Effects
Seems like a lot of risk (even if just another point of failure) for what is a VERY mild aesthetic difference.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

+1 Again, I wish I didn't have to do it. I would never use spacers, "just because"...

EDIT: Just got this info - referring to the picture posted above: "Almost exactly like those except we couldn’t use an off the shelf unit because 30mm would have been too wide and 15mm was too small. So the 25mm (1”) would have worked too but we couldn’t get the camber we needed either. So we ended up at 20mm custom units. These are hub-centric and will even include the new hub lip for the rims.."

Last edited by Michael_Js; 04-15-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
BLWN SS

Drives: Orange SS/RS W/ White Stripes
I keep seeing these opinions pop up and I question the experience some commentators have with spacers. We run a 3000lb drag car with MT 32/14 x15 Drag slicks deep in the 8's with cast 1/2" spacers. Rolling the dice just? Just been lucky? Could happen any day? The spacers have been on the car since Skinny Kids Race Cars built it with a 7.50 ET rating back in 1990. That,s 20 years without a problem!

I might clarify for a road race car with more side loading I would personally buy a machined billet set no wider than would allow the proper length of thread engagement or go to a larger diameter stud if we are talking serious twisty racing. For street driving with the occasional road course or drag strip racing with the skill level most of us really have (me included) I think we are over thinking the situation. If you are a serious racer of any particular discipline you wouldn't be asking on this forum. Just my opinion!
BLWN SS is offline   Reply With Quote