Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dynomax Exhausts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
xc_SS/RS

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 896
Replacing the starter?

Is there a DIY or how to on replacing the starter? Getting some really hard starts on my car and its either the battery or starter. I'm going to check the battery to see if that's the issue first and if not I think I'll replace the starter.
__________________
- Ryan 2010 2SS/RS Vararam, Kooks catback.
xc_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
StunnaTek
 
Drives: 14 camaro 1LS bright Yellow
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Athol, MA
Posts: 11
What kind of issues are you having exactly?
StunnaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
xc_SS/RS

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnaTek View Post
What kind of issues are you having exactly?
Mostly it sounds like the engine has a hard time to turn over. In the mornings and when its been warmed up. On the starts where it sounds like it really struggles the center screen reads "service stability track". No idea if this is a battery issue or a starter issue. I've read some people have had the slow starts and replaced the battery and it didn't help, they replaced the starter and it fixed the problem. This battery is nearly 3 years old so it may be getting to the point of needing to be replaced.

Then on some starts the stupid bonging noise will keep going even after the car is started, seat belt is on, brake off, and moving. That one I have no clue about.
__________________
- Ryan 2010 2SS/RS Vararam, Kooks catback.
xc_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL
 
GVA 45TH 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: (Near) Charlotte, NC
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Then on some starts the stupid bonging noise will keep going even after the car is started, seat belt is on, brake off, and moving. That one I have no clue about.
Next time that happens look up by the rear view mirror and see if the passenger seatbelt indicator is blinking.
could be the occupancy sensor flaking out, unless you have something on the front seat.

for the battery.. I would remove it and have it tested, then go from there.
GVA 45TH 2SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
gofastwclass
Three pedals
 
gofastwclass's Avatar
 
Drives: lots of fuel injected V8 Chevys
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: behind the wheel
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
Next time that happens look up by the rear view mirror and see if the passenger seatbelt indicator is blinking.
could be the occupancy sensor flaking out, unless you have something on the front seat.

for the battery.. I would remove it and have it tested, then go from there.
I agree. Take the car to an auto parts store that can load test the battery.

Unless your car was used to deliver pizzas, being a 2010 I doubt the starter is bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
My most loved build was the one I stuck to my game plan and didn't deviate from it.
gofastwclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Spartan01


 
Spartan01's Avatar
 
Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Falls Church, Virginia
Posts: 3,619
Yeah, just had this issue, and we are pretty close geographically so weather issues are the same.

I had my battery tested, it needed to be replaced. Ok, that heavy sucker runs at about $180!

I also bought a Float Charger, the Battery Tender Jr. for about $30 at Walmart.

No issues since then.
__________________
"You simply cannot trust quotes found on the internet." -Abraham Lincoln
Spartan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
xc_SS/RS

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Yeah, just had this issue, and we are pretty close geographically so weather issues are the same.

I had my battery tested, it needed to be replaced. Ok, that heavy sucker runs at about $180!

I also bought a Float Charger, the Battery Tender Jr. for about $30 at Walmart.

No issues since then.
Yeah I know the weather will play a role in making it slower to start. Going to get it tested today, hopefully advanced auto had a portable testing thing. Really hoping it isn't the starter. Had a look at where it is and the frame is kind of in the way lol
__________________
- Ryan 2010 2SS/RS Vararam, Kooks catback.
xc_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
xc_SS/RS

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 896
Battery is fine. Moving on to starter connections and if those are good I guess its the starter.
__________________
- Ryan 2010 2SS/RS Vararam, Kooks catback.
xc_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen
 
376LS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,772
Who tested the battery? I literally went through this exact setup. My car cold started just fine, but any start after that, it would barely turn over. I thought it was either the starter or my engine was expanding too much, (just had it built) I was looking into high torque starters and all that. I took the battery in and they said it came in at 88%. I thought that was good. He said there is a dead cell in it. Bought a new battery, been fine since.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS LS3 - Built LS3
376LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #10
xc_SS/RS

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Who tested the battery? I literally went through this exact setup. My car cold started just fine, but any start after that, it would barely turn over. I thought it was either the starter or my engine was expanding too much, (just had it built) I was looking into high torque starters and all that. I took the battery in and they said it came in at 88%. I thought that was good. He said there is a dead cell in it. Bought a new battery, been fine since.
I watched the guy test the battery but maybe I'll get a second shop to check it for me. The guy who did it at advanced auto did it kind of quickly.

Funny thing too after testing it the car didn't turn over first try, then turned over after I took the key out then tried again.
__________________
- Ryan 2010 2SS/RS Vararam, Kooks catback.
xc_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Low Saturn
 
Low Saturn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Is there a DIY or how to on replacing the starter? Getting some really hard starts on my car and its either the battery or starter. I'm going to check the battery to see if that's the issue first and if not I think I'll replace the starter.
Just went through this with my 2011 SS. Battery tested fine. Even swapped it with a known good battery for a while. Symptoms didn't change. It started OK (or so I thought) when cool, had a hard time after driving a while and the starter got warm/hot. Swapped the starter today and its a day and night difference. Even at a cold start.

  1. Lift and securely support the front of the car or drive it up on ramps.
  2. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the three starter heat shield bolts. (8mm)
  4. Remove the heat shield.
  5. Unbolt the two starter mounting bolts (13mm) but do not try to remove the starter yet.
  6. Rotate the starter to get easier access to the back.
  7. Disconnect the electrical connector at the top/back of the starter.
  8. Remove the (13mm) nut securing the positive power cable to the starter.
  9. Remove the starter.
  10. Install in reverse order. I waited to install the heat shield until I tried starting the car in case I did something wrong. Once I verified the car started, I installed the heat shield.
I was going to take pictures and document the whole thing, but I was having a difficult time. Not because of the difficulty of the job, it was actually really easy. I have four hernias that I'm having surgery to repair in a couple weeks, and I was in a lot of discomfort working on the car. So I decided against taking pictures and just get the job done. At least I had my 12 year old son to help. He took care of the heat shield and handed me tools as I needed them.

Here's a video of the car starting with the new starter.
http://youtu.be/tzc1JYx4LHE

BTW, I found a new OEM starter on Amazon for $93.48 with Prime shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:29 AM   #12
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem
 
TripleB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM Camaro A6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lakewood, California
Posts: 5,698
Mine started doing this yesterday. Thinking it's the battery as well. I've got a 2010. Hoping is the battery because I just passed my 5 year 100,000 mile warranty expiration date 1/9/15. Would hate for it to be something else that could've been covered by the warranty.
__________________
TripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem
 
TripleB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM Camaro A6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lakewood, California
Posts: 5,698
So I got the Service Stabilitrak error yesterday when I started it. This morning it was "2 keys programmed" on the DIC. Still seems like it's taking a lot of effort to turn over the engine. Cranks a bit longer than normal. Since I'm on graveyards I won't be able to take it in until tomorrow afternoon. Gonna take the battery to a Pep Boys or Auto Zone and if it's not that, Tuesday first thing I'll take the car to the dealer.
__________________
TripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #14
xc_SS/RS

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Just went through this with my 2011 SS. Battery tested fine. Even swapped it with a known good battery for a while. Symptoms didn't change. It started OK (or so I thought) when cool, had a hard time after driving a while and the starter got warm/hot. Swapped the starter today and its a day and night difference. Even at a cold start.

  1. Lift and securely support the front of the car or drive it up on ramps.
  2. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the three starter heat shield bolts. (8mm)
  4. Remove the heat shield.
  5. Unbolt the two starter mounting bolts (13mm) but do not try to remove the starter yet.
  6. Rotate the starter to get easier access to the back.
  7. Disconnect the electrical connector at the top/back of the starter.
  8. Remove the (13mm) nut securing the positive power cable to the starter.
  9. Remove the starter.
  10. Install in reverse order. I waited to install the heat shield until I tried starting the car in case I did something wrong. Once I verified the car started, I installed the heat shield.
I was going to take pictures and document the whole thing, but I was having a difficult time. Not because of the difficulty of the job, it was actually really easy. I have four hernias that I'm having surgery to repair in a couple weeks, and I was in a lot of discomfort working on the car. So I decided against taking pictures and just get the job done. At least I had my 12 year old son to help. He took care of the heat shield and handed me tools as I needed them.

Here's a video of the car starting with the new starter.
http://youtu.be/tzc1JYx4LHE

BTW, I found a new OEM starter on Amazon for $93.48 with Prime shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very nice thanks for the write up. Mine has not even turned over on the first two attempts the past two days in a row. Starting to think its going, all I get is a click like it wants to start then nothing. Does that twice then turns over the third time. Good tip on the link, may purchase if it does it again when I leave work.

Also I watched the video and I don't think my car has ever started like that. Really leaning towards Tue starter now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Mine started doing this yesterday. Thinking it's the battery as well. I've got a 2010. Hoping is the battery because I just passed my 5 year 100,000 mile warranty expiration date 1/9/15. Would hate for it to be something else that could've been covered by the warranty.
Yeah I thought I was on the original battery but it was replaced two years ago. Had it tested and it came back that it was fine. Now the starter seems to not want to turn over on the first attempt.
__________________
- Ryan 2010 2SS/RS Vararam, Kooks catback.
xc_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem
 
TripleB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM Camaro A6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lakewood, California
Posts: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Very nice thanks for the write up. Mine has not even turned over on the first two attempts the past two days in a row. Starting to think its going, all I get is a click like it wants to start then nothing. Does that twice then turns over the third time. Good tip on the link, may purchase if it does it again when I leave work.

Also I watched the video and I don't think my car has ever started like that. Really leaning towards Tue starter now.



Yeah I thought I was on the original battery but it was replaced two years ago. Had it tested and it came back that it was fine. Now the starter seems to not want to turn over on the first attempt.
Ah, well I know mine is the original. I ordered the car and never had any issues with the battery. Took the old one out and down to Auto Zone and it failed their battery tester. Bought a new one and installed and it fires up fine.
__________________
TripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #16
xc_SS/RS

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 896
Anyone know if the starter bolts need to be replaced when replacing the starter? Not sure if they're TTY.
__________________
- Ryan 2010 2SS/RS Vararam, Kooks catback.
xc_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #17
Low Saturn
 
Low Saturn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Anyone know if the starter bolts need to be replaced when replacing the starter? Not sure if they're TTY.
I didn't and the factory service manual doesn't mention having to.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Starter Replacement (LS3 L99).pdf (143.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf Starter Shield Replacement (LS3 L99).pdf (158.1 KB, 30 views)
__________________
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #18
JakesRJT
 
JakesRJT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 3.6L V6
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 153
I recently went through this same deal... removed battery had it tested several times.. tested good took out starter had it tested and it tested good... so I replaced the battery had a dead cell and the tests weren't catching it... but yea the batteries aren't cheap...
__________________
Check out my Build Thread! Feedback is Welcome and Appreciated!
JakesRJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
xc_SS/RS

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 896
So I changed the starter and it now starts up much better than before. Immediately noticeable even to my friends as well. But now I've been having the starter relay click, then no start. I turn the key to start the car and all I get is a click, then nothing. Try again and the same thing. Usually on the third time it'll start. Going to check all grounds tonight, anyone have any ideas? Might be the battery now so I will have to get it retested.

Also how many bolts should be on the starter post for the power wire? Mine had two, only put one on and the starter didn't turn over. I had to sandwich the wire terminal between both bolts for it to turn over. Not sure if that's the correct way it should go as the above PDF shows only one bolt...
__________________
- Ryan 2010 2SS/RS Vararam, Kooks catback.
xc_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #20
h018871
 
h018871's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE BRM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Just went through this with my 2011 SS. Battery tested fine. Even swapped it with a known good battery for a while. Symptoms didn't change. It started OK (or so I thought) when cool, had a hard time after driving a while and the starter got warm/hot. Swapped the starter today and its a day and night difference. Even at a cold start.

  1. Lift and securely support the front of the car or drive it up on ramps.
  2. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the three starter heat shield bolts. (8mm)
  4. Remove the heat shield.
  5. Unbolt the two starter mounting bolts (13mm) but do not try to remove the starter yet.
  6. Rotate the starter to get easier access to the back.
  7. Disconnect the electrical connector at the top/back of the starter.
  8. Remove the (13mm) nut securing the positive power cable to the starter.
  9. Remove the starter.
  10. Install in reverse order. I waited to install the heat shield until I tried starting the car in case I did something wrong. Once I verified the car started, I installed the heat shield.
I was going to take pictures and document the whole thing, but I was having a difficult time. Not because of the difficulty of the job, it was actually really easy. I have four hernias that I'm having surgery to repair in a couple weeks, and I was in a lot of discomfort working on the car. So I decided against taking pictures and just get the job done. At least I had my 12 year old son to help. He took care of the heat shield and handed me tools as I needed them.

Here's a video of the car starting with the new starter.
http://youtu.be/tzc1JYx4LHE

BTW, I found a new OEM starter on Amazon for $93.48 with Prime shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thx Low Saturn, this helped a lot. hope you're surgery went well
__________________
Standard mods: cam, headers, cai..........etc

modifications: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332717
h018871 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.