Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 04-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #76
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
well ordered mine, may be giving you a call Rick
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #77
Axe

Drives: have not ordered yet
Just bought a 1lt/rs today - good to know.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #78
nukemustang

Drives: 2011 SIM 1SS/RS Vert, 14 Raptor
Afternoon,

I installed the PDIM and Steering wheel radio controls on a 2011 Vert 1SS. I finally, after two and a half days of working with the dealership, have working steering wheel radio controls, but no working USB port. Strange thing is that the aux jack input works and you can get to it, but the PDIM module itself still is not recognizing any USB inputs. It does however give you 5 volts. I can charge my Garmin with it. I spent a better part of the afternoon with the tech at the dealership. He was using a GDS2 and SPS on a laptop. Both he and I could not figure out how to activate the aux inputs. I found a screen that listed the USB input as "inactive" and AUX 1, 2, 3 and 4 inputs with the Aux 4 input listed as AUX input.

The tech asked me to see if you anyone knows what GM tech tool was used, since he is out of possibilities. We did do a CAN bus calibration and that did not help either.

Thanks,

Tim
2011 Silver Ice Metallic 1SS/RS+ Convertible. Completed modifications so far: installed factory HUD, deleted AFM/DOD, Dynatech LT coated headers with high flow cats, Solo Cat back exhaust, CAI inc. intake, Vmax ported TB, SIM quarter flares/splash guards, steering wheel radio controls, PDIM iPod interface in center console, RX catch can, JRE cold air scoop, windshield washer bottle relocation.
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #79
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
laptop to update the database and then the tech tool to update your radio
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #80
nukemustang

Drives: 2011 SIM 1SS/RS Vert, 14 Raptor
It works finally!!! I know how Einstein must have felt!! I watched the tech do the same thing multiple times and for what ever reason it eventually "took"....
2011 Silver Ice Metallic 1SS/RS+ Convertible. Completed modifications so far: installed factory HUD, deleted AFM/DOD, Dynatech LT coated headers with high flow cats, Solo Cat back exhaust, CAI inc. intake, Vmax ported TB, SIM quarter flares/splash guards, steering wheel radio controls, PDIM iPod interface in center console, RX catch can, JRE cold air scoop, windshield washer bottle relocation.

Last edited by nukemustang; 04-28-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #81
BLKRS2011
1LT RS 2011 BLACK

Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Do I need to disconnect the battery before installing the PDIM?
BLKRS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #82
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss/rs
Now is this the same software that'll up date the steering controls
HW ID: CC
SW ID: CE
if not what is it then?
upgrades kooks 1 3/4" LTH w/ high flow cats, roto fab cai, corsa exhaust, rx catch can, hurst short throw shifter. stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears 445rwhp 410 rwtq all installed and dyno tuned from slowhawk performance.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #83
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Ok, just installed the pdim module for my 2012 1LS. I installed the unit this weekend. Took it to the dealer today to have it programmed. They had it all day but managed to get it working.

The key was them downloading the car configuration and checking the setting under the stereo settings that indicates the C&C is installed; then uploading the configuration to the stereo. They indicated that they attempted to program the PDIM unit and had trouble doing so. Problem is, they should have attempted to program the stereo head unit.

I believe the dealership did not have the latest software. My stereo is at db/db. Not dd on the software. I'm guessing as this is a 2012 camaro, it already had db.

They did manage to check the C&C on the car configuration which was all I asked them to do. When they brought me the car, they weren't confident that it was working. They tried to get me to connect to the hands free bluetooth adapter which we all know has nothing to do with streaming music. I connected my phone to the USB side, navigated to the USB input on the stereo. Tested that I had connectivity and then went to the menu options for the auxiliary and proceeded to connect to the pdim's bluetooth adapter. Hopefully, the tech was paying attention

They had the car for roughly 8-9 hours and like most dealers had issues and general lack of knowledge. That said, they were eager to figure it out and only charged me 1 hour labor for the "programming". I have to give full kudos to these guys and gals. I told the service manager that next time they should have it done in 4 hours, then 2 hours. A few more and they should have it down pat.

Again, I question if they updated the head unit. They did however, successfully enable the pdim unit. Either way, they delivered what I had asked for and didn't charge me for the trial and error they went through.

If anyone in AZ (Phoenix area) wants to give them a try, it's Sand's Chevrolet on Grand Ave between Bethany and Glendale. Ask for Dawn (service manager). The tech was Kato. The service they provided was fantastic. I do not fault them for their lack of knowledge. This seems to be an issue with most dealerships. For that, I fault GM. Kato was on the phone with GM for 2 hours. He did what he should have done and reached out to corporate. Corporate needs to get more people trained to help the folks in the field. I think that would solve lots of issues.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, I'm now cruising to the sound of Bluetooth. Many thanks to Dawn and Kato for their hard work and valiant efforts. They earned my business.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #84
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
It's a five minute job

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Ok, just installed the pdim module for my 2012 1LS. I installed the unit this weekend. Took it to the dealer today to have it programmed. They had it all day but managed to get it working.

The key was them downloading the car configuration and checking the setting under the stereo settings that indicates the C&C is installed; then uploading the configuration to the stereo. They indicated that they attempted to program the PDIM unit and had trouble doing so. Problem is, they should have attempted to program the stereo head unit.

I believe the dealership did not have the latest software. My stereo is at db/db. Not dd on the software. I'm guessing as this is a 2012 camaro, it already had db.

They did manage to check the C&C on the car configuration which was all I asked them to do. When they brought me the car, they weren't confident that it was working. They tried to get me to connect to the hands free bluetooth adapter which we all know has nothing to do with streaming music. I connected my phone to the USB side, navigated to the USB input on the stereo. Tested that I had connectivity and then went to the menu options for the auxiliary and proceeded to connect to the pdim's bluetooth adapter. Hopefully, the tech was paying attention

They had the car for roughly 8-9 hours and like most dealers had issues and general lack of knowledge. That said, they were eager to figure it out and only charged me 1 hour labor for the "programming". I have to give full kudos to these guys and gals. I told the service manager that next time they should have it done in 4 hours, then 2 hours. A few more and they should have it down pat.

Again, I question if they updated the head unit. They did however, successfully enable the pdim unit. Either way, they delivered what I had asked for and didn't charge me for the trial and error they went through.

If anyone in AZ (Phoenix area) wants to give them a try, it's Sand's Chevrolet on Grand Ave between Bethany and Glendale. Ask for Dawn (service manager). The tech was Kato. The service they provided was fantastic. I do not fault them for their lack of knowledge. This seems to be an issue with most dealerships. For that, I fault GM. Kato was on the phone with GM for 2 hours. He did what he should have done and reached out to corporate. Corporate needs to get more people trained to help the folks in the field. I think that would solve lots of issues.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, I'm now cruising to the sound of Bluetooth. Many thanks to Dawn and Kato for their hard work and valiant efforts. They earned my business.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #85
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth

5 mins give or take 8hrs. Crazy. Being in IT and a general geek at heart, I so wanted to help out. They didn't seem to be too open to that.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #86
DC

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Can someone help me out? I have the 2012 LS which already has the steering wheel controls, I just need to know which part to order online to install, I keep seeing conflicting statements on which part I need to order!?!
DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #87
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
Can someone help me out? I have the 2012 LS which already has the steering wheel controls, I just need to know which part to order online to install, I keep seeing conflicting statements on which part I need to order!?!
This is the part I installed in my 2012 LS:

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/electr...-92252215.html

The harness and pdim module are easy to install and adds audio streaming via Bluetooth or USB. The hardware version is DB, the latest. The harness comes assembled with the exact mounting clips needed for a clean and professional install. It took me about an hour from start to finish. You will need to take it to the dealer for "programming" after you install it.

A note on the programming. There are two different programming processes discussed here: updating firmware on the head unit and for lack of a better term enabling the pdim module.

The updating firmware is discussed in detail here and something my dealer failed to do. That said, your head unit is probably at software version DB. The latest I believe is DD. DD is a nice to have and resolves issues some people are having. DB is working great for me with my iphone4s. No skips, popping or any other issues.

Enabling the pdim module simply requires the dealer to download your car configuration from GM, check mark that the car has the connectivity package installed and upload the new configuration to your car. If they accomplish this and only this, you will be good to go.

Good luck!

Kirk
Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #88
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
This is the part I installed in my 2012 LS:

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/electr...-92252215.html

The harness and pdim module are easy to install and adds audio streaming via Bluetooth or USB. The hardware version is DB, the latest. The harness comes assembled with the exact mounting clips needed for a clean and professional install. It took me about an hour from start to finish. You will need to take it to the dealer for "programming" after you install it.

A note on the programming. There are two different programming processes discussed here: updating firmware on the head unit and for lack of a better term enabling the pdim module.

The updating firmware is discussed in detail here and something my dealer failed to do. That said, your head unit is probably at software version DB. The latest I believe is DD. DD is a nice to have and resolves issues some people are having. DB is working great for me with my iphone4s. No skips, popping or any other issues.

Enabling the pdim module simply requires the dealer to download your car configuration from GM, check mark that the car has the connectivity package installed and upload the new configuration to your car. If they accomplish this and only this, you will be good to go.

Good luck!

Kirk
That's the same part I ordered from the same company. Mine came but it didn't look new. I reached out to the company for clarification but I haven't received anything back yet, most likely due to the holidays. Therefore, I haven't gone forward with installation yet. It was delivered via FedEx in a box that looked like it had been used before. Inside that box there was a box, a wiring harness and the outlet (USB/Aux). The parts did not arrive in a GM Genuine sealed parts box, just throw into the aforementioned re-used box. The instructions were in the box, stapled together. I just got my Camaro less than a week ago so i'm not familiar with what qualifies as a Genuine GM part but i've never heard of the company listed on the PDIM. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, pics are below.

Last edited by ecko04; 12-31-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: removed personal information
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #89
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Pretty sure it's packaged like that because you can't get the latest PDIM in the official GM PDIM accessory kit. So they have to get the PDIM separately and then repackage it with the harness.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #90
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Here's my thread back in 2009 with pictures from the kit I ordered

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45256
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #91
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Just installed mine today. Took it down to the dealership but they didn't have "time" to reprogram it today. I have an appointment on Wednesday to get it done.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #92
romack238

Drives: 2011 Metallic grey Camaro LS
Thanks for the information. Amazing post. Got the part order last week and installed yesterday
romack238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #93
Lgndryhr
Camaro for Life

Drives: Nothing.... :-(
Just wanted to say thanks for this DIY. I used it in conjunction with the instructions that came with it.
Best run: not until after break-in

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #94
japitzer

Drives: 2011 black lt camaro
Well, I installed the pdim and the steering wheels control switch, went to the dealer(of course i forgot my ipod) spent 4 hrs there, said everything was a go, Well, the steering control switch works, but my ipod doesn't there is power to it. I took it back and told them it didn't work, they had to re flash the radio, and now everything works

Last edited by japitzer; 03-20-2012 at 06:20 PM.
japitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #95
BLKRS2011
1LT RS 2011 BLACK

Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Installed my PDIM a year ago and just got the radio reprogrammed today finally. Everything went smoothly and they only charged me a half hour of labor. They could not reprogram the BCM to recognize my steering wheel controls though. They said my car wouldn't take the program. Thanks for the awesome DIY by the way! I've learned so much on C5 from other members and it's much appreciated.

Last edited by BLKRS2011; 09-06-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Wanted to say thanks!
BLKRS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #96
RatedZ
GYSOT

Drives: '13 Camaro SS + '98 Camaro Z28
Installed my ambient lights last night and the DIY was so useful, especially in how to remove the transmission bezel. Only thing I would add is when reassembling the trim piece that houses the traction control and gauges (if you have it) is to really watch the aux power connector as it is made of metal and if you don't get the trim piece in just right, you can really scratch the trans bezel all to hell. I would take a moment to protect the trans bezel with a towel or something so you don't scratch it up. The replacement cost is $140 since you have to buy the whole bezel, not just the silver top part :(
RatedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #97
CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Yellow Chevy Camaro LS
Wiring harness?

Hello, on my LS where do I get the wiring harness that runs to the PDIM module?
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #98
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLS View Post
Hello, on my LS where do I get the wiring harness that runs to the PDIM module?
If you buy the PDIM kit, it will come with it.

Did you buy the PDIM separately?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #99
CamaroLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
If you buy the PDIM kit, it will come with it.

Did you buy the PDIM separately?
Yes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #100
CamaroLS

PDIM

Here is what I have.
Attached Images

Last edited by CamaroLS; 04-18-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: wrong size pics