Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
Arrow Ordering Tips

This is the first time I have ever bought a new car, much less ordered one before it is even out. I am sure I am not the only one like this and was wondering if any of you all that are more experienced have some tips for ordering and watching out for dealer scams. What kind of questions should be asked when going in on monday to order, etc.
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
haulass350
 
haulass350's Avatar
 
Drives: 97 silverado
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 138
rofl i was thinking the exact same thing the only other thing ive bought brand spanking new was my motorcycle and for it all you get to decide it the color, i'm writting down a list of stuff i want to know now and i'm bout to call the local dealership.
haulass350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
Care to share some of the things you are wanting to know? I am thinking I need to ask about any fees, not sure what else.
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
haulass350
 
haulass350's Avatar
 
Drives: 97 silverado
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 138
1.) do i need to make a downpayment on the car? is it refundable? and how much?

2.) what are your plans for the pricing on the camaro when it comes out?

3.) is there a waiting list already for the car? if so where would i be at?





thats all i have for now this is a local dealership that someone posted on the msrp or below thread, just more or less checking to see if thats what there really charging and to see if they know whats going on or if i should check elsewhere. been trying to think of some other things to ask, i really need to start writing down all the random question i have while reading these forums lol.
haulass350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
Well I have found a dealer that will give me $1000 over invoice. There is $1000 refundable downpayement. I know there must be more I should ask, just not sure what it is.
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,618
Yea me too. This will be the 1st time I've ever bought a new car and I've not bought a used car in years. While I don't have any questions about the process of buying a new car, I am curious about the costs of tag and title and if tax on a new car is based on the states sales tax or if there is a different tax for new vehicles.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Speedy1975
FASTER!
 
Speedy1975's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Challenger, 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 1,705
My advice for what it's worth, and I've bought several brand new cars....

Things in dealerships will be done in stages.

Stage 1 - The salesman - he talks you into buying the car, gets you excited about ownership, and will try to have you imagine yourself driving and owning the car. He will banter back and forth with his "Sales Manager" and pretend to be on your side during these negotiations. A 4 square worksheet will likely be used. This is where you'll work out your purchase price + any options and addons like mud guards, floor mats, whatever. If you're trading in a car during this Stage be sure to treat that as a separate transaction. The numbers will get fuzzy very quickly, so you'll want to know two things: A) what am I paying for this new car? B) what trade in are you giving me for my car? Don't let them roll it all together.

If you're not trading in a car, then just focus strictly on sale price OTD (out the door). Remember, you'll be paying for the car + tax + title +license + doc fees charged by the dealer. These "doc" fees are silly fees and can vary by as much a $200 - $300 per dealer.

Your best bet all around is to shop 3 dealers and get three quotes on the car you want. Get the three dealers dealing against each other to make you the best deal and go with the best deal.

Never go in saying you want your payment to be XXX.XX / mo. This opens you up to a 6 or 7 year loan and you'll WAY over pay. Always stick to the total OTD. Take a calculator. I've caught sales managers in number tricks several times because I had a calc on hand to check the math. Once they realize they can't screw with you, you'll get their bottom line deal and no more games.

Going through the internet usually garauntees a better deal as the internet salesman will assume you've done your homework and know what others are paying.

Stage 2 - The Finance Office - This is where you'll work out how you're paying for the car. This is also where dealerships make a TON of money. If you're going to finance the car, shop around with your local banks to find out what interest rates you'll qualify for. Beware of any and all additional crap the finance officer will try to talk you into such as extended warranties, payment insurance, clear coat protector, fabric protector, etc. Most of this is just garbage to increase over all profit. I never buy any of this stuff, you'll have to make that decision on your own whether it's worth it or not. If you're buying loan insurance you probably can't afford the car anyway and should wait and save more for your down payment.

Beware of rolling any of the extras you decide to purchase into the amount financed. Say your extended warranty is $2,000. The loan officer will try to tell you it's only $32.38/mo if you roll that into the loan. The problem is that then you're also paying interest on that $2,000 warranty making it even more expensive. If you want extras, pay cash for them as part of the down payment.

Double check every single number on every single piece of paper you sign. I've been in the middle of deals before where I've found typos on the number of years for the loan, the interest rate, etc. It'll be a lot of papers, so take your time.

Avoid financing anything longer than 48 mos. 36 mos is even better unless it's some special at 0% interest. The problem with stretching out the loan more than 48 mos is that you end up upside down in the car very quickly unless you plopped down a huge down payment, and if you were able to do that, then you should be able to shorten the term to 36 mos.
__________________
-Speedy
2009 Challenger R/T
- Arrington Forged 6.0L and Magnacharger Supercharger - 600RWHP 600RWTQ (PB E.T. in 1/4 Mile 10.85 @127.39MPH)
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS Camaro (PB E.T. - TBD)


Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Speedy1975
FASTER!
 
Speedy1975's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Challenger, 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Yea me too. This will be the 1st time I've ever bought a new car and I've not bought a used car in years. While I don't have any questions about the process of buying a new car, I am curious about the costs of tag and title and if tax on a new car is based on the states sales tax or if there is a different tax for new vehicles.
In TN it's 9.75% sales tax on the car, new or used. The thing to watch for here is if you have a trade in. Say the car is $30,000. The dealer says they're gonna give you $5,000 for your trade in (trade in allowance). Then you only pay tax on $25,000. (30,000 - 5,000 trade in allowance = 25,000).

That's how I figure if I should sell out right or trade the car in. I take the dealer's offer for trade in, add that together with the tax I'd save:

$5,000 (tia) x 9.75% (tax) = $487.50
$5,000 + $487.50 (tax) = $5487.50

So unless I could sell the car for $6,000 it' better to just trade it in and avoid the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
Well I have found a dealer that will give me $1000 over invoice. There is $1000 refundable downpayement. I know there must be more I should ask, just not sure what it is.
What's the doc fee? (I've seen this be anywhere from $100 - $500)

Is there a dealer prep fee? (I've seen this anywhere from $100 - $400)

Does that $1,000 over invoice include delivery fees? ($675?)

Remember to add in taxes (9.75% in TN to the purchase price). For a $30,000 car taxes alone are $2925 for me.

Don't forget to add in your tags.

That's all I can think of right now.
__________________
-Speedy
2009 Challenger R/T
- Arrington Forged 6.0L and Magnacharger Supercharger - 600RWHP 600RWTQ (PB E.T. in 1/4 Mile 10.85 @127.39MPH)
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS Camaro (PB E.T. - TBD)


Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
joel98z
 
Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
My advice for what it's worth, and I've bought several brand new cars....

Things in dealerships will be done in stages.

Stage 1 - The salesman - he talks you into buying the car, gets you excited about ownership, and will try to have you imagine yourself driving and owning the car. He will banter back and forth with his "Sales Manager" and pretend to be on your side during these negotiations. A 4 square worksheet will likely be used. This is where you'll work out your purchase price + any options and addons like mud guards, floor mats, whatever. If you're trading in a car during this Stage be sure to treat that as a separate transaction. The numbers will get fuzzy very quickly, so you'll want to know two things: A) what am I paying for this new car? B) what trade in are you giving me for my car? Don't let them roll it all together.

If you're not trading in a car, then just focus strictly on sale price OTD (out the door). Remember, you'll be paying for the car + tax + title +license + doc fees charged by the dealer. These "doc" fees are silly fees and can vary by as much a $200 - $300 per dealer.

Your best bet all around is to shop 3 dealers and get three quotes on the car you want. Get the three dealers dealing against each other to make you the best deal and go with the best deal.

Never go in saying you want your payment to be XXX.XX / mo. This opens you up to a 6 or 7 year loan and you'll WAY over pay. Always stick to the total OTD. Take a calculator. I've caught sales managers in number tricks several times because I had a calc on hand to check the math. Once they realize they can't screw with you, you'll get their bottom line deal and no more games.

Going through the internet usually garauntees a better deal as the internet salesman will assume you've done your homework and know what others are paying.

Stage 2 - The Finance Office - This is where you'll work out how you're paying for the car. This is also where dealerships make a TON of money. If you're going to finance the car, shop around with your local banks to find out what interest rates you'll qualify for. Beware of any and all additional crap the finance officer will try to talk you into such as extended warranties, payment insurance, clear coat protector, fabric protector, etc. Most of this is just garbage to increase over all profit. I never buy any of this stuff, you'll have to make that decision on your own whether it's worth it or not. If you're buying loan insurance you probably can't afford the car anyway and should wait and save more for your down payment.

Beware of rolling any of the extras you decide to purchase into the amount financed. Say your extended warranty is $2,000. The loan officer will try to tell you it's only $32.38/mo if you roll that into the loan. The problem is that then you're also paying interest on that $2,000 warranty making it even more expensive. If you want extras, pay cash for them as part of the down payment.

Double check every single number on every single piece of paper you sign. I've been in the middle of deals before where I've found typos on the number of years for the loan, the interest rate, etc. It'll be a lot of papers, so take your time.

Avoid financing anything longer than 48 mos. 36 mos is even better unless it's some special at 0% interest. The problem with stretching out the loan more than 48 mos is that you end up upside down in the car very quickly unless you plopped down a huge down payment, and if you were able to do that, then you should be able to shorten the term to 36 mos.
Very Sound advice.
joel98z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
SimC33
 
Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 482
And make sure that any promises, or anything is on paper in plain writing and signed by them and you
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
Thank you for the advice. On these different fees, are there ways to get the dealer to remove those fees?
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
Speedy1975
FASTER!
 
Speedy1975's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Challenger, 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
Thank you for the advice. On these different fees, are there ways to get the dealer to remove those fees?
Not typically. They are negotiable though. That's why I emphasize the "OTD" price.

Sometimes the fees will show up the same, but they remove costs from somewhere else. So if you say "I'll only pay $30K" they make all the fees and what not fit that amount.
__________________
-Speedy
2009 Challenger R/T
- Arrington Forged 6.0L and Magnacharger Supercharger - 600RWHP 600RWTQ (PB E.T. in 1/4 Mile 10.85 @127.39MPH)
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS Camaro (PB E.T. - TBD)


Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
So if I try to negotiate cheaper fees do I just ask if I can get cheaper fees, or is there a better way of saying it?
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
SimC33
 
Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 482
Ok when I bought my BMW 135i me and A LOT of other people used this method and it worked out amazingly...I don't know if this will help you but just in case here it is...It's called the "Rizzo Method" look at it and let me know what you think.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/faq/rizzo.html
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official 2010 Camaro Ordering Workbook (17 page PDF) SSracer Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 122 07-17-2009 08:58 AM
CAMARO ORDERING FOR SOLD ORDERS STARTS 10/13 CamaroScotty Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 173 10-12-2008 08:33 AM
Ordering, Allocation, and Pricing News....Your one stop thread. CamaroScotty Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 101 09-29-2008 03:26 PM
Custom ordering lafountain 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 30 08-09-2008 10:15 AM
Factory Direct Ordering The_Stache Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 55 03-16-2008 10:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.