Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

USA - California The Golden State

Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
California, What can we do that's actually legal

Everytime I here of something cool to do to get some better performance I keep getting hit by California only laws. We can we actually do in this state to upgrade our cars?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Cams, heads, shorty headers, catback exhaust, bore/stroke, supercharger...there's a lot we can do.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
t_long927
Bakersfield Camaro Club

Drives: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Send a message via MSN to t_long927 Send a message via Yahoo to t_long927
I have been in the automotive industry all of my life. Even worked at a smog station. You can really do anything you want. The state does require a C.A.R.B. EO # ( executive number ) stating that the B.A.R. has inspected the device and it will not effect the emisions output of that vehicle/motor. Now the difference in price between a "CARB" legal and illegal product is huge. For instance say you want a maggie and the whole kit is 5 grand. Well it may be as much as 7-8 grand for a legal maggie. Stick with you Bigger brands like edlebrock, Crank, etc. If you have anymore questions you can go on the BAR.ca.gov website and check out if a part is legal on your car or not. Also remember you do not have to smog your car for another 4-5 years. So whatever you do will not be seen until that smog is needed. OR a dick cop pops your hood. But they do not always know what to look for. Hell for all they know that beautiful chrom Maggie was stock on a 2010 Camaro SS
But rest asure I have been in your shoes and I do think some of these "LAWS" are a bit on the BS side.- Long Live the CAMARO
Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_long927 View Post
I have been in the automotive industry all of my life. Even worked at a smog station. You can really do anything you want. The state does require a C.A.R.B. EO # ( executive number ) stating that the B.A.R. has inspected the device and it will not effect the emisions output of that vehicle/motor. Now the difference in price between a "CARB" legal and illegal product is huge. For instance say you want a maggie and the whole kit is 5 grand. Well it may be as much as 7-8 grand for a legal maggie. Stick with you Bigger brands like edlebrock, Crank, etc. If you have anymore questions you can go on the BAR.ca.gov website and check out if a part is legal on your car or not. Also remember you do not have to smog your car for another 4-5 years. So whatever you do will not be seen until that smog is needed. OR a dick cop pops your hood. But they do not always know what to look for. Hell for all they know that beautiful chrom Maggie was stock on a 2010 Camaro SS
But rest asure I have been in your shoes and I do think some of these "LAWS" are a bit on the BS side.- Long Live the CAMARO
Correct. there are a ton of things we can do, but be damn sure you have the CARB numbers. Without them, your car can be impounded and you can be ticketed.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: yummy
I heard that they even tax farmers for cows farting. Is that true?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Maurdib

Thanks my Cali brotheren, I was getting worried, and was just going to consetrate on making it look fast vs actually being fast
Old 04-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
You live in KALIFORNIA. Enjoy the year round driving season, stop complaining and just keep paying your taxes. Where do you think you are, Wisconsin? You are lucky you don't get a ticket for posting such stuff.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
H3LLJumper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
You live in KALIFORNIA. Enjoy the year round driving season, stop complaining and just keep paying your taxes. Where do you think you are, Wisconsin? You are lucky you don't get a ticket for posting such stuff.
fail
Lingenfelter 550 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package, Hennessey CAI, Pedders Extreme XA Drag Package and Sway Bars (waiting to take delivery) Painted gills, stripe, and bow ties, tinted windows to 30%, smoked lights, Orange headlight/fog light halos, NOWEEDS, and GMPP Exhaust
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
I fail to understand the relevance?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Does anyone know if the ADM Street CAI is CARB approved? I sent a PM to Andy yesterday and also searched the ARB database (not there). No sticker on it either - that I am aware of ;(

Oh, and living in CA doesn't waive the right to mods...other than CARB - meaning, too bad because it's beautiful most of the time here. And YOU even are in CA!! What's up with that??
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Old 04-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
loopback
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
What about a list of whats the most we could do for both Legal AND keep the warranty?
Shorties, CatBack...
loopback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Maurdib

I was thinking intially of CAI, LT Headers(OUT), Highflow Cat(Most likely OUT), and a Catback. With a tune I figured I'd be good
Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Soon I'll be adding a C.A.R.B legal tag to all the mods on the list that are legal.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723
Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
Cams, heads, shorty headers, catback exhaust, bore/stroke, supercharger...there's a lot we can do.
I have not seen ANY cams that are CARB-legal... I suppose you could do an OEM grind, like an LS7 or LS6 (if you had the older heads) but I haven't seen any CARB-legal cam grinds out there. There are supposed "cheater" cams out there, but I don't know that they have the correct split to work with the rectagular-style heads.

If you ask me, I'd add a CARB-legal SC and pulley-up!!! CAIs are different, because I know I've seen only one, so far, with CARB numbers (though I don't recall which it was - probably K&N or AEM or something...), but the smog ref' never asked where the numbers were for my lid on my old '02. That's an actual BAR ref', but I don't know if he just didn't think about it, or he knew it wouldn't change anything.

Quote:
WTF? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
What about a list of whats the most we could do for both Legal AND keep the warranty?
Shorties, CatBack...
You'd think you could find something, but there's no resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Soon I'll be adding a C.A.R.B legal tag to all the mods on the list that are legal.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723
I, too, thought about this, but I haven't seen anything in the database that has anything newer than like 2006. Hell - I didn't even find the number MAgnuson acquired for their 2300! I've been meaning to call BAR back to see if there's another on-line resource, but the one I kee running into is rubbish.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
RPM Motors

Drives: LSx's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
Everytime I here of something cool to do to get some better performance I keep getting hit by California only laws. We can we actually do in this state to upgrade our cars?
You have many, many options - You are so close to us...stop by and we will show you the options.
RPM Motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
who cares whats legal and not you only live once do what you want and if you get a fix it ticket ....... fix it and put it right back !!!!lol
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #19
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 13 Camaro 1LE, 06 C6 z06, 07 Dmax
lot of options for keeping it legal.... give us a call we can run some ideas by you
Shop#: (951)677-0716
www.Cunningham-Motorsports.com
Ryne-CMS@Hotmail.com
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #20
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
I was thinking intially of CAI, LT Headers(OUT), Highflow Cat(Most likely OUT), and a Catback. With a tune I figured I'd be good

Do you know any police officers? most of them could care LESS that you have longtube headers, let alone even knowing what they are or how to detect them. I have been driving around california with everything you said is "out" for 10,000 miles now. If some jack off rookie cop writes a ticket.. I have my friend sign off on it... if you dont know an officer, you put the LEGAL part back on, and have an officer sign off on it. Real easy.. Now go out and buy what you want and stop worring about these laws.

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
Do you know any police officers? most of them could care LESS that you have longtube headers, let alone even knowing what they are or how to detect them. I have been driving around california with everything you said is "out" for 10,000 miles now. If some jack off rookie cop writes a ticket.. I have my friend sign off on it... if you dont know an officer, you put the LEGAL part back on, and have an officer sign off on it. Real easy.. Now go out and buy what you want and stop worring about these laws.
If you get a ticket for LTs, or a illegal part, it can be a non-correctable violation, which means technically, if you drive it around before being corrected, you can get another bigger ticket. You can take it to a BAR Ref', for a test, but it's not necessary. Still, the fine can go up to $250, and I was never able to get a clear understanding if the car could be confiscated for driving without corrections but I know first hand. If you get a non-correctable ticket, it can't be signed off.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #22
RichieRich

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Just in case (if you can) keep you original parts to put back on.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Just in case (if you can) keep you original parts to put back on.
DO IT
Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #24
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
If you get a ticket for LTs, or a illegal part, it can be a non-correctable violation, which means technically, if you drive it around before being corrected, you can get another bigger ticket. You can take it to a BAR Ref', for a test, but it's not necessary. Still, the fine can go up to $250, and I was never able to get a clear understanding if the car could be confiscated for driving without corrections but I know first hand. If you get a non-correctable ticket, it can't be signed off.
Its all in who you know
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER BULLITT View Post
Its all in who you know
If you can get out of what I'd gotten with your statement