Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
First time at dragstip and couldn't launch it - Help!

So I took the car out to the track for the first time….and I couldn’t launch it for nothing.

I’ll start off by saying that I have an LS3 with about 1,500 miles and stock tires. I was running at an 1/8th mile track and the best I was able to run was 9.16 with a worst of 9.52.

Every time I tried to launch it would wheel hop all the way through 1st and part of 2nd. Once it caught it pulled nice and hard. I tried it with TC & Stabiltrack turned off, in Competitive Mode, and just the way it sits. Every time I still got wheel hop. On time I even tried to leave a little soft and shortly after leaving the line I hammered it…..soon as I did it would wheel hop.

As I was leaving I had a GTO guy come up to look over the car. We started talking and I told him about the wheel hop. He said that in his GTO he gets on the line, lets out about half way on the clutch until it starts to grab, eases off the clutch a little, and leaves at about 1,500 before getting on it after leaving. I didn’t get a chance to try that because the lanes were about to close and I had already started beer time at that point but I plan on trying it again in a couple weeks.

Anyone have any tips or pointers to help me get off the line without so much wheel hop?

It sucked….I got a good handful of compliments on the car yet I was one of the slower newer muscle cars out there. I know it will turn a much better time if I can get it to launch better.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 04-24-2010 at 01:13 PM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
I don't have that problem because I have the auto but when a friend of mine did we lowered the air pressure down to 20psi and the wheel hop was gone. You may want to give this a try lowering the psi in 5 lb. steps and testing until you find the right psi. Good luck.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
thesubfloor

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Two words - drag radials!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
So I took the car out to the track for the first time….and I couldn’t launch it for nothing.

I’ll start off by saying that I have an LS3 with about 1,500 miles and stock tires. I was running at an 1/8th mile track and the best I was able to run was 9.16 with a worst of 9.52.

Every time I tried to launch it would wheel hop all the way through 1st and part of 2nd. Once it caught it pulled nice and hard. I tried it with TC & Stabiltrack turned off, in Competitive Mode, and just the way it sits. Every time I still got wheel hop. On time I even tried to leave a little soft and shortly after leaving the line I hammered it…..soon as I did it would wheel hop.

As I was leaving I had a GTO guy come up to look over the car. We started talking and I told him about the wheel hop. He said that in his GTO he gets on the line, lets out about half way on the clutch until it starts to grab, eases off the clutch a little, and leaves at about 1,500 before getting on it after leaving. I didn’t get a chance to try that because the lanes were about to close and I had already started beer time at that point but I plan on trying it again in a couple weeks.

Anyone have any tips or pointers to help me get off the line without so much wheel hop?

It sucked….I got a good handful of compliments on the car yet I was one of the slower newer muscle cars out there. I know it will turn a much better time if I can get it to launch better.
I, like you, was really dejected my first time out with the car and had pretty much the same exact problem.

I then went back a second time (but equipped with drag radials) and did much better:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...i-m-a-fan.html
thesubfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
jnm2003

Drives: O2 GMC & 2010 camaro SS IBM 6M
Get BMR fabrication trailing arms.. And it eliminates wheel hop! less than 200 dollars and it helps tremendously. I dont have wheel hop on mine but probably will when i get drag radials! I have two friends that put them on their car with drag radials and one of them with bolts on ran in the 11s.
What PSI are you running on ur stock tires? I can only run 24 to 28 lbs of pressure or ill spin at the track. ALSO race with everything off!! turn Stabiltrac and TC off and feather the throttle. Launch bw 2700 and 3200RPMS!
heres a link to help you! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ag+racing+tips

2010 camaro SS/RS Manual IBM.
NEW TIME 12.24 @ 114 mph. -[B] street tires, Hurst short throw, Halltech yellow jacket intake, AR long tube 1 7/8 headers, and a tune.
12.82 @ 110 MPH 1.92 60ft ALMOST Bone Stock ONLY MOD IS Borla mufflers.
jnm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
jnm2003

i ran almost a half a second slower stock with TC on and Stab off (comp mode) even slower with everything on!! the fastest i could get was 13.3. I turned everything off and got a 12.82

NEW TIME 12.24 @ 114 mph. -[B] street tires, Hurst short throw, Halltech yellow jacket intake, AR long tube 1 7/8 headers, and a tune.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
caverman

Thanks for the link.....alot of good info in there. Had to bookmark that one.

I think I'm going to have to get the BMR TA on. Hopefully don't have to align the car afterwards since I just had the car aligned a couple days ago after installing drop springs. I'll probably be calling BMR in the morning.

BTW: to answer the air pressure.....I was running 35psi I believe. The race track was a last min spur of the moment thing and I wasn't really prepared. I was supposed to be going to a local car show but at the last sec a friend called me and said he was heading to the track. So, I flipped a u-turn and head out there with him. When we got there I still wasn't going to race but he talked me into it and even paid the $5 race fee. Hell....I was even in shorts which I was told not to run again that way. It was still a good experience in the fact that it showed me where my weaknesses are and what I need to work on. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to post back with some improvements.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
jnm2003

p.s. how did the rear cat delete help with the cars sound? I have borla s type on my car and cut out the resonators. Its still not where i want it with the sound! I dont have the money right now for LTs so im lookin to get an aftermarket x-pipe and maybe cut off the rear cats. Is it a clean sound? Got any vids?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
caverman

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=rear+cat

Not a ton louder but I did hear a difference. Since you've already tuned your car I would look at getting ADM's off-road downpipes. It basically gets rid of the cats for about $200 but you'll have to tune out the thrown code since the cats will be gone. They are supposed to worth 18rwhp. I'm just not ready to tune just yet so I just did the rear cat....otherwise I would do ADM's off-road pipes.

Also, if you want it louder use the Maganaflow Tru-X. Buy it from www.Magnaflowplus.com, they are the cheapest place.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66288
Build Journal
Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm2003 View Post
Get BMR fabrication trailing arms.. And it eliminates wheel hop! less than 200 dollars and it helps tremendously. I dont have wheel hop on mine but probably will when i get drag radials! I have two friends that put them on their car with drag radials and one of them with bolts on ran in the 11s.
What PSI are you running on ur stock tires? I can only run 24 to 28 lbs of pressure or ill spin at the track. ALSO race with everything off!! turn Stabiltrac and TC off and feather the throttle. Launch bw 2700 and 3200RPMS!
heres a link to help you! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ag+racing+tips
I also put on the BMR trailing arms, Man what a difference. I get solid launches on the road, Hav'nt been to the track yet, but I can definately feel the difference from stock arms. Easy install too. Torque control = right foot
Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
jnm2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
I also put on the BMR trailing arms, Man what a difference. I get solid launches on the road, Hav'nt been to the track yet, but I can definately feel the difference from stock arms. Easy install too. Torque control = right foot
I wasnt going to put the BMRs on my car until i get drag radials. With you saying that it helps and u get solid launches on the street!! Ur talkin about stock tires right? i do alot of street racing and i will get them asap if u say its helps even a little with traction on the street! i launch at 3200 i spin my ass off. i launch at 2700 i bog!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm2003 View Post
I wasnt going to put the BMRs on my car until i get drag radials. With you saying that it helps and u get solid launches on the street!! Ur talkin about stock tires right? i do alot of street racing and i will get them asap if u say its helps even a little with traction on the street! i launch at 3200 i spin my ass off. i launch at 2700 i bog!
Yup, stock tires. I release the clutch about 2500 get a mild burn, just enough to slip sideways a little bit, once I feel it bite, peddel to the floor, smoothly though, not a slam it to the floor. from there, peddel stays on the floor, shift at about 6000, nice barks and straight as an arrow. I've been working on getting my motions down better before I go to the track. It's been 20 plus years since I drove a stick daily. Was pretty good then, still ok now, just need to get my timing tuned so to say. That is with everything off too.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
There are a lot of racing tips and shifting tips in the "I need tips for the track thread"
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62548

Get some Trailing Arms (Mine are from BMR $139.99, Spohn's may provide more clearance) These are good for a .1 or probably .2 reduction in 60 foot.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
There are a lot of racing tips and shifting tips in the "I need tips for the track thread"
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62548

Get some Trailing Arms (Mine are from BMR $139.99, Spohn's may provide more clearance) These are good for a .1 or probably .2 reduction in 60 foot.
Any advantage of Spohn's over BMR's TA? When you say more clearance, what are might get in the way that the clearance would be better?

Spohn's are about $20 cheaper but I haven't heard of them as much as BMR.
Build Journal
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
jnm2003

Nuptal the thread link I posted above is that same link u posted! Haha! U been to the track lately! I'm gonna try and go to No prob next week if u wanna go!