Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Cadillac's direct-injection allows V6 to pump out 300-hp

Name:  caddy1.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  48.7 KB

More Muscle
Cadillac's direct-injection allows V6 to pump out 300-hp

By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 03/26/07, 12:30 pm et

General Motors' use of the latest engine technology to help rebuild its image continues this fall with a powerful new engine for a pair of Cadillacs.

The 300-hp, 3.6-liter V6 slated to debut in the revamped Cadillac CTS and the bigger STS sedan is the most powerful V6 GM has ever built -- and that includes the turbocharged 3.8-liter used in the 1987 Buick GNX coupe.

The trick? Direct fuel injection, or DI.

DI moves the fuel injectors off the intake manifold and places them between the valves on the cylinder head. That enables a high compression ratio, which increases power. GM engineers designed special pistons for the engine to ensure smooth starts in cold weather.

They also devised a way to reduce noise from the fuel injectors, which operate under about 1,700 pounds of pressure. A collar between the injectors and the cylinder head absorbs shocks and reduces clicking noise as the injectors shoot fuel into the cylinders.

Only a handful of North American vehicles use DI. But the number is expected to grow in the coming years as automakers look to squeeze more power and fuel economy out of engines while lowering emissions and reducing displacement.

The new 3.6-liter may be Cadillac's most important engine since the 1993 introduction of the Northstar V8. That engine, a 4.6-liter, saw Cadillac introduce overhead cams and 32 valves. The original Northstar produced 290 hp -- 10 less than the new V6.

Cadillac's new engine outmuscles most six-cylinder powerplants from Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln and others and is expected to help the restyled CTS get off to a fast start.

The increased power doesn't come at the expense of fuel economy, says Ameer Haider, assistant chief engineer for GM's HF-V6. The 2007 CTS with its 255-hp, 3.6-liter V6 is rated at 18 mpg city and 27 mpg highway.

The 2008 engine's EPA ratings won't be final until summer. Haider says the engine is expected to deliver a 3 percent fuel economy gain and produce lower emissions, especially when first started in the morning.

Last year, Pontiac was GM's first domestic brand to use a direct-injection engine. The 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder in the Solstice GXP roadster cranks out 260 hp and gets slightly better fuel economy than the Solstice's standard 2.4-liter, 177-hp engine.

GM plans to offer direct injection on more models and to produce as many as 200,000 direct-injected engines by 2010.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Great article, and great news!

Is that the 3.6L that also utilizes VVT? 300hp out of a V-6! I swear ten years ago people would have called you crazy for even suggesting that!

It does seem like it would be more expensive to produce, so i doubt it will be the base V-6 in the Camaro, but what an excellent candidate for the high end V-6!

I would love to know what kind of low-end torque that thing is able to produce.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
hmmmmm....

that's all I really have to say......
Oh, and this: I told you GM would come back from their slump with a vengeance. They're not going anywhere.