Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

1st & 2nd Generation Camaros 1967-1969 Camaros / 1970-1981 Camaro

Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
eric grinder

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Why no Ebay for a 1st Gen Camaro??

Hey all! I am going to be in the market for a 67-69 Camaro within 6 months. I'l be paying cash and would like a car that really doesnt need any work for between 15-18K. Obviously not looking fora show queen just a weekend cruiser that maybe could be thrown in a local car show. I have been watching ebay to get an idea on fair market value. Just to educate myself on what to look for. Unfortunatly I am really not familair with what to look for when buying a classic. I wish I knew more but I'm in need of some serious eduacation. I see some very nice LOOKING......cars in my price range but a lot of people say to stay away from ebay?? Where else can I go? Not a whole lot of places to buy classics here in the northeast...
eric grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric grinder View Post
Hey all! I am going to be in the market for a 67-69 Camaro within 6 months. I'l be paying cash and would like a car that really doesnt need any work for between 15-18K. Obviously not looking fora show queen just a weekend cruiser that maybe could be thrown in a local car show. I have been watching ebay to get an idea on fair market value. Just to educate myself on what to look for. Unfortunatly I am really not familair with what to look for when buying a classic. I wish I knew more but I'm in need of some serious eduacation. I see some very nice LOOKING......cars in my price range but a lot of people say to stay away from ebay?? Where else can I go? Not a whole lot of places to buy classics here in the northeast...
I'd be willing to sell my '67 convertible and I'm in Mass. Only drawback is I'd have to get high 20's for it as it's pretty much original, #'s matching with 41k original miles. Not a trailer queen, but needs nothing. (see pic in avatar)
PM me for more details if interested. (I haven't advertised it, and don't NEED to sell it, just kinda lost interest)
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
shank0668

Drives: 1998 Sahara
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ctd/1709412512.html
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/1707111458.html
Try Craiglook.com
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
eric grinder

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yea I have looked on craigslist too and theres some decent deals on there as well. I was just so curious as to why the hardcore guys are so against ebay to find a car. Theres some beauties on there![/I]
eric grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
The problem with buying on eBay is that pictures hide alot - and the one taking the pictures may want to hide alot.

With a car that is 40+ years old it is normal to expect that the car would fall in the range from trailer queen to scrap yard candidate. With this in mind, now where does the cars you are looking at fall? With pictures alone you may never be able to make that judgement call.

I have seen cars that people call show winning cars that I would be embarrassed to own. On the other hand - I very rarely see anyone overly critical of the cars they are selling. Most are very vague and present the cars to be much better than they actually are. Some do this with disregard for the buyers while others do it just because they lack the knowledge to properly grade the car they are selling.

Given your price range - you are most likely not going to be able to locate a car of any quality. In the range that you are in is where you will find the most amount of cars that are hiding the truth behind digital photos and deceiving descriptions in hopes of a sale.

Do yourself a huge favor - try to find a local car and if you cannot do this when you do locate a car that you are interested in either ask here if someone is local to the car and can check it out for you or hop a plane and go look at it. Most likely the issues that you find you will be able to negotiate a lower price in person that is equal to or greater than the cost of going to see the car.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
Vet76te

Drives: 1981 Z28
Most people who warn you to stay away from eBay have probabaly never personally purchased anything from eBay. I have bougth and sold several cars on eBay.

If handled corrcetly, eBay is no different than buying through the auto trader, craigs list, or even your local newspaper want ads,...if done correctly.

First,..NEVER buy a car without persoanlly inspecting it,...not from anyone in any maner. With that in mind, you can search on eBay within a certain number of miles from your zip code. Determine how far you are willing to drive for a car and enter that parameter. (50, 100, 200 miles etc.). Then, if you find a car on eBay you like, email the seller first and ask LOTS of questions. Ask for any additonal pictures you may want to see. If the seller doesn't respond or doesn't send you what you asked,...simply move on. You can also drive over and inspect the car before bidding,...if time permits.

Lastly, once you win the auction, just drive over and inspect the car. If it is not as described, you are not FORCED to buy the car.

If you do not know what to look for, you can get burned buying a car from teh litle old lady down the street. eBay doesn't make a car bad or worse than any other. There are dishonest sellers on eBAy, craigs list, car lots, news paper ads, and even in your own home town. The ticket is to use eBAy just like your local want ads. Pick out a car you like,..bid on it,...and then INSPECT before paying.

Using this method, if you get a bad car on eBAy,..it's your fault as much as the sellers.
Vet76te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
... ahh that blue convertible looks amazing...

in dxb all the nice classic american cars are mostly junk! and way over priced
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
trz174

Drives: Yes
Check Camaros.net forum. Good cars come up for sale all the time. Many are a labor of love that owners discuss and offer before putting them on ebay. You can get a pretty good idea of what you'll likely find within your target price range. Lots of good tips and sage advice for buying and identifying first gen models and options. Good luck.
2010 Tundra Crew Max
2012 Camaro ZL1, M6, AGM,
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
talwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet76te View Post
Lastly, once you win the auction, just drive over and inspect the car. If it is not as described, you are not FORCED to buy the car.
This is very bad advice - when you bid on a car on eBay this means that you have satisfied all your concerns and that you are bidding to win, not to view. NEVER bid on a car that you have not inspected or are assured that you will be purchasing.

People that bid to view make eBay a difficult marketplace to sell a car. People need to understand that you bin to own - not to view.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
Check Camaros.net forum. Good cars come up for sale all the time. Many are a labor of love that owners discuss and offer before putting them on ebay. You can get a pretty good idea of what you'll likely find within your target price range. Lots of good tips and sage advice for buying and identifying first gen models and options. Good luck.
+1. The forum there is frequented by the "who's who" of 1st gen camaros. Many folks there would be more than willing to go look at a car on your behalf. The best cars exchange hands by word of mouth so it's a good idea to get to know the community.
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Vet76te

Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
This is very bad advice - when you bid on a car on eBay this means that you have satisfied all your concerns and that you are bidding to win, not to view. NEVER bid on a car that you have not inspected or are assured that you will be purchasing.

People that bid to view make eBay a difficult marketplace to sell a car. People need to understand that you bin to own - not to view.
Not true...according to eBay,..if you arrive and the car is NOT as described, you are NOT obligated to buy it. A seller can't arbittraily lie about a car and then force you to take it.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
talwell

Quote:
Not true...according to eBay,..if you arrive and the car is NOT as described, you are NOT obligated to buy it. A seller can't arbittraily lie about a car and then force you to take it.
Incorrect - taken directly from eBay Motors site:

"Each bid you place enters you into a binding contract. If you win a listing, you’re obligated to complete the transaction."
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
eBay Basics

Well since we are trying to educate on eBay, please go to their site and read the following. Yes, eBay provides an "Out" for both buyer and seller, but the risk is high regardless:

Rules for buyers: (paraphrased below) (Source Page of information)

√ You must pay for any item you buy.

Many of the items on eBay are sold in an auction-style format where you can make bids. Bidding is a lot of fun, but remember that each bid you make is a binding contract to buy the item if you win. The same is true for Buy It Now purchases. Not paying for an item after you have agreed to buy it has some negative consequences, which are explained in our unpaid item policy.

√ You can only bid if you really intend to buy the item, even if you’re making a non-binding bid.

Non-binding bids can only be made on certain items, like real estate and vehicles, but they still mean that you are seriously interested in buying the item. The bottom line is, don’t place any bid unless you mean it.

******** There is a lot more information on the page links above, this is barely scratching the surface. Also note that if you have never bid on an Automobile before, or have a low Feedbak rating, be prepared to validate your bid over the phone. ********

Best of luck on your quest for a Gem!

Camaro5 Fest 2010 Panogram Photo of the Host Hotel
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
Vet76te

Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
Incorrect - taken directly from eBay Motors site:

"Each bid you place enters you into a binding contract. If you win a listing, you’re obligated to complete the transaction."
Also taken from eBay,.."All descriptions and representations are the sole responsibility of the seller. Errors, omissions, and misrepresentations could void the sale".
Old 04-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
Vet76te

Wheather it's eBAy, Craigs List, or a local want ad,...you can not be held to a contract that is false or eronious. If so,..people could sell you a fully restored 1969 Z28 convertible and when you arrived it was a 1984 4cyl Camaro.

Your ad must be accurately representative of your item or you are not held obligated for your bid. I sell a lot of items on eBay, (and buy), and I am very familiar with the practices.

In fact, all Power Sellers are now required to offer a return policy and post it in your lisitng before starting an auction.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
talwell

Quote:
Wheather it's eBAy, Craigs List, or a local want ad,...you can not be held to a contract that is false or eronious. If so,..people could sell you a fully restored 1969 Z28 convertible and when you arrived it was a 1984 4cyl Camaro.

Your ad must be accurately representative of your item or you are not held obligated for your bid. I sell a lot of items on eBay, (and buy), and I am very familiar with the practices.

In fact, all Power Sellers are now required to offer a return policy and post it in your lisitng before starting an auction.
That is correct - you cannot be held to a contract for any item that is falsely represented. Therefore you are required to inspect the item prior to bidding as your bid is a binding contract and that you are satisifed with the description and condition of the item you are bidding on. We can go on and on about this but I assure you it is your duty to inspect the item prior to bidding as a bid is binding regardless.