Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Headers and Warranty Question

Hello All,

I was searching on GMPP to see if the Dale Jr Spoiler was available but I noticed that GMPP is selling Kooks Headers
GM PART # 6513OEMC
CATEGORY: Kooks Custom Headers
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $470.83
OUR PRICE: $426.40

DESCRIPTION: Kooks Custom Headers

Kooks 1-7/8 inch header

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...artnumber=6510

GM PART # 6510
CATEGORY: Kooks Custom Headers
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $1,485.00
OUR PRICE: $1,005.00

DESCRIPTION: Kooks Custom Headers

3 inch to 2-1/2 X pipe with Cats

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=6513oemc

So my question is I have seen many threads about having to have your car tuned so that the headers won't throw codes. These headers are sold at the dealership and installed by the delaerships. What do they do when the install these headers, do they tune the car or what is the deal. I find it hard to believe that if you bought these items from a dealer and had a dealer install them that it would void your warranty no matter what the dealer had to do to make them run right, correct? Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
hmmm..very interesting...ill be watching this thread closely lol
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
good find. maybe a dealer can chime in on this?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Maybe a dealer, tuner, custom speed shop. Somebody that knows alot more than me.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
SS Matt

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, CGM
I'm not certain that just because they sell stuff that it's covered under factory warranty. That website is run by a particular dealer, not GM itself. This would be interesting to find out.
SS Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
It is illegal for anyone to install these headers on a car unless they believe that the car will not be driven on the streets. It is illegal to modify or replace any emission related original equipment. From past experience, I know that most muffler shops won't do it either unless they know you. They are subject to hefty fines if they are caught by undercover inspectors. So I have my doubts that your dealer will install these either, but it varies by state. Each state is responsible for enforcement of federal emissions standards.

Now if your car doesn't have inspection or plates, and you flatbed it in, I'm sure they will do it.

Has anyone actually had headers installed by a dealer?

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
SS Matt

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, CGM
Dealers will install the GMPP shorties, but that's all I've seen. They don't relocate the cats so it's still legal. I'm doubting any dealer will install LTs.
SS Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Matt View Post
I'm not certain that just because they sell stuff that it's covered under factory warranty. That website is run by a particular dealer, not GM itself. This would be interesting to find out.
I understand that this website is run by a particular dealer but GMPP (General Motors Performance Parts) also sells this stuff, just like the CAI, Shorty Headers, Corsa Exhaust Etc... and supposedly is engineered to work with your car or so is being marketed, This is the reason the CAI and SHorty headers are not out yet, still doing testing.

From what I understand GMPP parts are warrantied different that new car warranty, GMPP warranties their parts for 12 months or 12000 miles, but the fact remains just as in reverse if you add something to your car and it breaks you lose you warranty.

Fot the sake of arguement let's say the alternator goes out and you take it to the dealer and he changes it but doesn't take off the battery cable and it fry's your computer ( Yes this has happened to me on a Duramax because of the surge, the truck wouldn't start) they have to replace it.

If GM ok's it for sale and has tested it, then their should be no issues if something breaks. Plus what about the tune, many threads say if you put headers on you have to have a tune ot the CEL will come on.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Dealers will install the GMPP shorties, but that's all I've seen. They don't relocate the cats so it's still legal. I'm doubting any dealer will install LTs.
I agree to a point but if you check the site , it says nothing about off road use, not inteneded for street use etc... I wish I could get the GMPP Book. My dealer said they would install anything GMPP sold and back it up with a GMPP warranty. Not trying to argue just wanting some knowledge by those who are aloy more knowledgable than me.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I doubt there is anything illegal about installing headers as long as you retain the Cats and they dont exceed the noise ordinance for your area. (At least where I live thats true, I dunno about crazy places like CA)
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
I agree to a point but if you check the site , it says nothing about off road use, not inteneded for street use etc... I wish I could get the GMPP Book. My dealer said they would install anything GMPP sold and back it up with a GMPP warranty. Not trying to argue just wanting some knowledge by those who are aloy more knowledgable than me.

Couple issues. The Kooks LT's you found are not being sold by GMPP, you found them advertised on a dealer's website. Then, even what your dealer told you is not accurate. GMPP has plenty of race only parts that would not be covered by your new car warranty. They have CNC ported heads, hot cams..... if a dealer put the GMPP racing heads, cam.... on your 2010 Camaro - you would have zero warranty.

The only GMPP parts that would not affect your new car warranty, are the GMPP "accessories" for the 2010 Camaro. Which I believe is only 1 item at this time - the GMPP mufflers.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
AFAIK, gen5 Camaro GMPP shortiese not validated as of yet.

Lots of stuff in the Performance Parts book is not street legal on emission controlled vehicles. Some are strictly race parts.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 V.R. & 2006 Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I doubt there is anything illegal about installing headers as long as you retain the Cats and they dont exceed the noise ordinance for your area. (At least where I live thats true, I dunno about crazy places like CA)
Im thinking the same thing as long as you have cats and it can pass the sniffer test.
isn't that all that counts when they do the emissions test?
I have the kooks LT and the free flow cats but then I live outside the emission testing area.
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
Im thinking the same thing as long as you have cats and it can pass the sniffer test.
isn't that all that counts when they do the emissions test?
I have the kooks LT and the free flow cats but then I live outside the emission testing area.
I know in Tx all they do is the computer and tail pipe test. As long as it passes you're fine. In CA there are some CAFE laws that if the specific 'mod' added to the car (including CAI) doesnt have the CAFE badge it is illegal.
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 V.R. & 2006 Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I know in Tx all they do is the computer and tail pipe test. As long as it passes you're fine. In CA there are some CAFE laws that if the specific 'mod' added to the car (including CAI) doesnt have the CAFE badge it is illegal.
I love this state.
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
It violates federal law to move or replace the cats on a car until 50k miles IIRC.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
It violates federal law to move or replace the cats on a car until 50k miles IIRC.
so what would happen if got hole in one of the cats before your car reaches 50k miles
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #18
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Couple issues. The Kooks LT's you found are not being sold by GMPP, you found them advertised on a dealer's website. Then, even what your dealer told you is not accurate. GMPP has plenty of race only parts that would not be covered by your new car warranty. They have CNC ported heads, hot cams..... if a dealer put the GMPP racing heads, cam.... on your 2010 Camaro - you would have zero warranty.

The only GMPP parts that would not affect your new car warranty, are the GMPP "accessories" for the 2010 Camaro. Which I believe is only 1 item at this time - the GMPP mufflers.
I really appreciate the info. Just was wondering, but even if the install the " Off Road, Race only they would have to tune it to make it run right, correct?

Not really trying to stir the pot just looking for knowledge.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #19
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM
Are they a long tube? Maybe a tune from GM is coming.
Merc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #20
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

They seem to be long tube from the picture, but you know how pictures are. Funny thing about all this talk about mods, warranty, tunes, etc.... We use to do this stuff all the time just in a different way, changed needles, adjusted carbs, adjusted timing, all manually. True it wasn't on brand new cars, but we didn't have alot of problems back then., LOL
Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #21
Monaco

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro LS3
I'm pretty sure it's covered under warranty as long as you have a GM dealership install them and you have documented proof that the dealer installed it.

2012 Camaro SS/RS LS3 | K&N Aircharger | Corsa Catback Exhaust |
Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #22
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Do they have GMPP shorties for our cars yet ?

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #23
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
I'm pretty sure it's covered under warranty as long as you have a GM dealership install them and you have documented proof that the dealer installed it.
The GMPP mufflers - yes.

The kooks headers - no. If you bought Kooks headers, your header warranty would be with Kooks.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote