Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Night Owl LED
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
55Designs

 
Drives: 2010
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Westchester NY
Posts: 991
My Solo Mach X to Corsa Review Read On!

Id like to touch on key items here for everyone. We had the Solo on our car since delivery and it sounded and looked awesome.

Only complaint I had was highway drone and it was getting annoying. Some say it doesn't but ours did no matter what we tried. Nothing bad but we are doing a very expensive sound system and we needed to reduce the DB inside the car to make the audio worth our time.

We got the Corsa on today and already there are fitment issues. I honestly think Corsa could have designed this system a bit better and here's how.

1. Tips should be larger 4.5 like the Solo tips. I already hate the Corsa tip.
2. The rear mufflers could have been made smaller to accommodate better tips and fit better. Muffler hangers are hitting my diffuser on the inside causing lots of noise. We tried everything to fix this and will work more in the AM to correct it. I also am getting a banging sound over bumps from the middle of the car so I have to see if its smacking my Hotchkiss brace.
3. Corsa should have made the center section all one piece to connect to the front of the car instead they give you two 80 degree elbows which makes no sense because the install was a breeze whichever way you go.

Sound the Solo sounds 100000% meaner and better in city driving.
Sound on the freeway was just too much for my ears. At 2-4RPM it was LOUD in high gear.

Sound for the Corsa is decent in the city but not enough balls as the Solo. Corsa almost sound like as 3-5 db louder stock system. I honestly was expecting more because the SRT8 systems we installed had a much better sound.

On the highway the Corsa is more relaxed and there is no drone so for what we needed it works.

Am I happy with the Corsa so far? Well not 100%. I hate the tips and if I cant get the fitment better this is going back to Corsa for a refund.

I will say the Solo is by far the best sounding and easiest fitting Cat Back we have heard and this is just our personal opinion so no flames guys. We have installed a few Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster kits and they were louder and more expensive so I think everyone should consider the Solo as their top pick.

If anyone cares about phone calls and audio on long road trips then get the Corsa or leave your stock system on and change the tips. Plain and simple. I know there is a lot on the market but honestly make your choice wisely and try to listen to as many as you can in person or visit a good performance shop in your area that works on 5th gen upgrades.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
CARiD
 
CARiD's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 490
I agree 100% with the banging on the Corsa system, whenever I hit a bump its either the muffler hitting the inner portion of the rear diffuser or the tunnel brace and I can't figure it out. The system is amazing at WOT. I don't mind the 4 inch tips, but this banging sound issue is killing me. I have done about everything recommended I lifted the XO Pipe and added the spacers to the tunnel brace, but still get banging.
CARiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
DeMaro
 
Drives: 2012 SS Vert Blk/Blk LS3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 35
55D thanks for the review. I like Corsa and have had more than a few Corsa systems over the years. You are correct there are some good choices out there for these cars. It is all about the choices and what works for you.

I am sorry I missed your Solo set up you had for sale and it is at the top of my list as I would like to try something different this time.

Let me know how you like the CTS-V and what mods you are gonna do.

DC
__________________
2013 IO ZL1 Vert M6, 2014 Audi S4 M6, 2012 Jag XKR-S Vert, 2012 Jeep JK unlimited 3" lift Procomps-Nitto 35's M6, 2013 Burb LTZ

SOLD-Y2K SS Vert, 427 Darton w/D1SC 720 rw, 620 tq

"When parts exceed the whole.....you have mod fever!"
DeMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Mojave

 
Mojave's Avatar
 
Drives: Waiting on LT1
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,835
LS3 or L99?
__________________
Future 2016 Camaro Owner
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
55Designs

 
Drives: 2010
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Westchester NY
Posts: 991
LS3 guys.

Ok just took it down from the lift. I brought it down the road to the muffler shop because I knew something had to be modified.

We had to bend the middle section pipes a bunch to get clearance. We also had to flare deeper the muffler on the passenger side and we had to grind down the welded rod on the edge of each muffler to clear the diffuser.

So far the banging is gone but all this extra work on the install is BS and when I get time Corsa will be getting a phone call regarding this. I wasn't able to snap much in terms of photos since I dropped my Blackberry on the shop floor and it crapped out.

System sounds good and like I stated on the highways its much smoother. The car almost feels snappier too now. I still hate the tips. I will be a nice mission to cleanly cut the Corsa tips off and machine new ones down to fit snug. I will save that for another time when things slow down.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
JMROD
 
Drives: 2SS RS ABM "Bumbleblue"
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
LS3 guys.

Ok just took it down from the lift. I brought it down the road to the muffler shop because I knew something had to be modified.

We had to bend the middle section pipes a bunch to get clearance. We also had to flare deeper the muffler on the passenger side and we had to grind down the welded rod on the edge of each muffler to clear the diffuser.

So far the banging is gone but all this extra work on the install is BS and when I get time Corsa will be getting a phone call regarding this. I wasn't able to snap much in terms of photos since I dropped my Blackberry on the shop floor and it crapped out.

System sounds good and like I stated on the highways its much smoother. The car almost feels snappier too now. I still hate the tips. I will be a nice mission to cleanly cut the Corsa tips off and machine new ones down to fit snug. I will save that for another time when things slow down.
Not sure why you are having issues with banging. I installed Corsa in my garage with ramps and jack stands on my LS3 and have had no issues with banging (yet? ). Only thng I did, that I think was suggested in the directions, was lift the center section up towards the car as I torqued the clamps, work from the front of the car to the rear.

I did not have any issues with muffler/tip and rear diffuser clearances at all.

JMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
v6sonoma


 
v6sonoma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 7,824
I don't know if you guys have L99's or not but my Corsa fit my LS3 like a glove fit and finish were superb, no banging, clanking, or drone. I think the tips look great. Much better than the stock. Sound is more of a personal item but I love the Corsa. Loud when you stomp on it quiet when you don't. I think you need to loosen your clamps and adjust it better. Check your clearances and I'm sure you should be able to fix it..
__________________

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
ron10


 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LOUISVILLE,KY..
Posts: 7,374
thanks for the info.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
3BVert
 
3BVert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROD View Post
Not sure why you are having issues with banging. I installed Corsa in my garage with ramps and jack stands on my LS3 and have had no issues with banging (yet? ). Only thng I did, that I think was suggested in the directions, was lift the center section up towards the car as I torqued the clamps, work from the front of the car to the rear.

I did not have any issues with muffler/tip and rear diffuser clearances at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I don't know if you guys have L99's or not but my Corsa fit my LS3 like a glove fit and finish were superb, no banging, clanking, or drone. I think the tips look great. Much better than the stock. Sound is more of a personal item but I love the Corsa. Loud when you stomp on it quiet when you don't. I think you need to loosen your clamps and adjust it better. Check your clearances and I'm sure you should be able to fix it..

Same here. Installed a LS3 Corsa in my L99 (AFM off) myself with no fitment issues whatsoever. It went in perfect. No banging or contact with anything.
__________________
2SS/RS Red Jewel Tintcoat
6-Speed Automatic
3BVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
Gnarlygianni
 
Gnarlygianni's Avatar
 
Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 365
How loud is the Solo Mach X Catback for the ls3.. louder than the S type by borla but not as loud as the magnaflow axel back with the 5 inch tips ?
Gnarlygianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
bobby35ny

 
bobby35ny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South East, FL
Posts: 1,633
My wife hears the car now with the corsa, she never heard it stock so it is louder.
As far as fitment, OMG it fits like a glove, no clearance issues anywhere!! And I did the install on my back under 4 jack stands.
LS3
=bobby
__________________
ZL1::J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
bobby35ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Alfieboy
Madman
 
Alfieboy's Avatar
 
Drives: White 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RICHMOND VA
Posts: 1,306
quote "I will say the Solo is by far the best sounding and easiest fitting Cat Back "


I agree.


Easiest to install too.
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #13
55Designs

 
Drives: 2010
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Westchester NY
Posts: 991
Guys many of your cars might be stock in terms of suspension but ours is set up for track use and its so freaking tight and bumpy on the street which is why the system must need tweaking. You hear and feel everything is our car.

I think the system we got was a bad one on the jig because it just needed too much work to make it fit right.

But honestly after using all the other stuff Corsa could have made the rear mufflers smaller and given them more clearance to the underbody spare tire well area.

I installed a 20+ systems in the last 2 months and several Corsa on the SRT8 cars and none of them gave us issues. The Solo and all others fit perfect first time around.

Just wanted to let some guys know if anyone else comes across these issues as to what you need to do.

I am now 100% sure the car is Much Faster with the Corsa than the Solo. Its just from the feel alone. LS3 must need some back pressure.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #14
55Designs

 
Drives: 2010
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Westchester NY
Posts: 991
If I get time Friday I will post photos showing the clearance issues I had and how the muffler hanger starter to melt my diffuser.

If I have time, My 2010 CTSV is being dropped off in the AM and I am taking Friday off work!!!!.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #15
bobby35ny

 
bobby35ny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South East, FL
Posts: 1,633
I think the Corsa is only worth 8HP but I think we feel the better throttle response big time, that makes it seems faster I guess, LOL
-Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
Guys many of your cars might be stock in terms of suspension but ours is set up for track use and its so freaking tight and bumpy on the street which is why the system must need tweaking. You hear and feel everything is our car.

I think the system we got was a bad one on the jig because it just needed too much work to make it fit right.

But honestly after using all the other stuff Corsa could have made the rear mufflers smaller and given them more clearance to the underbody spare tire well area.

I installed a 20+ systems in the last 2 months and several Corsa on the SRT8 cars and none of them gave us issues. The Solo and all others fit perfect first time around.

Just wanted to let some guys know if anyone else comes across these issues as to what you need to do.

I am now 100% sure the car is Much Faster with the Corsa than the Solo. Its just from the feel alone. LS3 must need some back pressure.
__________________
ZL1::J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
bobby35ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #16
Gnarlygianni
 
Gnarlygianni's Avatar
 
Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 365
How is the throttle response and hp gains on the SOLO ?
Gnarlygianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #17
Wicked
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 4
Just installed Corsa catback on Monday. Having clearance issues (banging) on passanger side where the extension pipe connects to the x-pipe. I saw this prior to dropping it down from the lift and I new it was just a little too close to the bottom of the car. I tried to adjust but had no luck. Every decent bump I hit it is bumping the floor pan..won't drive it until I can figure this out or get a different system......now what?
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #18
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,335
idk what the bagging is lol... i had my corsa installed by a shop on a ls3.. perfect
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #19
FB3
 
FB3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 411
I have a Corsa cat back on my LS3 that was professionally installed and it is ideal for me. Great sound, no drone and great fit. Did not like the Solo Mach X that I had. Bad drone and too loud for me.
__________________
Experience is the best teacher but the tuition is very high.
FB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #20
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post

We got the Corsa on today and already there are fitment issues. I honestly think Corsa could have designed this system a bit better and here's how.

1. Tips should be larger 4.5 like the Solo tips. I already hate the Corsa tip.

Sound for the Corsa is decent in the city but not enough balls as the Solo. Corsa almost sound like as 3-5 db louder stock system. I honestly was expecting more because the SRT8 systems we installed had a much better sound.
Had Corsa on 2 different Camaros now with a perfect fit... no issues.

I guess tips are peronnal preference, but I really think Corsa has be best looking tips by far.

When I first installed mine I had the same comments about how tame it was... give it time and break-in. Over a year now and it's super loud and the best part is it still doesn't drone at all.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #21
Wicked
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 4
Thanks for the reassurance. I unbolted the four front clamps and mid section hangers. Placed a spacer in between the pipe and floor pan and torqued everything back down. Took for a 2 minute spin on my rough road and had no rattle so far. Hopefully it is fixed. How many miles do you have on the broken in exhaust? When did you start to hear it getting louder? I also like the tips and am pretty satisfied with the sound overall. I wish it was a little louder, guess I will just have to wait. CAI next. I got my exhaust at Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc
and looking to get the intake their too. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...Asc&rsview=SKU Any suggestions? Any true "cold" air intakes out there?
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #22
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
How many miles do you have on the broken in exhaust? When did you start to hear it getting louder? I also like the tips and am pretty satisfied with the sound overall. I wish it was a little louder, guess I will just have to wait. CAI next. I got my exhaust at Summit Any suggestions? Any true "cold" air intakes out there?
I have 19K and 13 months on my Corsa now... I remember when we first installed it being so disappointed because it sounded like stock. Seems around 10K it started opening up. I also added Headers at around 8K. It's a freakin beast now. I'll have to do another video...

Here's an old one... and check out those tips...

__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #23
Wicked
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 4
Sounds great!! Is this with the headers? Do the headers void any factory warranties?
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #24
Sterling


 
Sterling's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
I am now 100% sure the car is Much Faster with the Corsa than the Solo. Its just from the feel alone. LS3 must need some back pressure.
In my experience the louder a cars exhaust is the slower it feels.
When I put a small block 400 in my 3rd gen I drove it to the exhaust shop with open headers and it just didn't feel that fast.
Once I got there I was told that every time I took off I was peeling out and had flames shooting out from the headers. It was so loud... I didn't notice why it wasn't taking off as fast as I thought it should.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #25
Nutbutt


 
Nutbutt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 3,222
Nothing like a little noise to catch your attention. Go solo !
__________________
1st IPF Supercharged 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
Nutbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My ½ price version of the Magnaflow 2.5” Comp Series exhaust caverman Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 135 10-28-2012 12:27 PM
Transformer Edition Camaro Questions 2010bumblebeeSS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 17 04-21-2010 11:05 PM
SOLO PERFORMANCE makes two EXCELLENT Exhausts for the 6.2L V8 Xmicro_SS Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 106 04-19-2010 10:11 PM
Solo Mach XLT Review mikey8 Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 41 01-09-2010 01:41 PM
3 months with Number 3, so a Camaro review by ME Number 3 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 109 03-31-2009 08:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.