Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

UK United Kingdom

Old 04-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Guamish

Drives: soon to be 2010 Camaro 1SS RS Black
Legality

I'm in the USAF and i will be PCSing to Lakenheath here in a few months. Now I'm trying to get everything in order to have a 1SS RS bought and ready to be shipped from my home to england around the same time i get there but before i buy i need to know if i'm going to have any legal problems driving it england (eg emissions, Headlights). I will be getting and international drivers license before i leave here in Korea. I'm finally allowed to live off base so im going to need a car and this is my dream car. Spent awhile saving money to have a decent down payment so I'm pretty much ready to do anything to make sure i wont have any problems having this car over there.

Any information would help.

Thanks.
Guamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Emissions will be fine, headlights may be an issue-but I'm pretty sure the HID are non directional so should be fine. The only serious problem you'll have is pouring your wages into the gas tank!!
I'm shipping mine back to UK in Nov (to sell) Mine will need an SVA inspection, but as you are there on a temporary visit I cannot say if you need to.
mailto:enquiries@vosa.gov.uk Try that link, it is to VOSA, the people who will give you the exact answer you need.

HTH :-)
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
Holeshot82nd
Evrybody wng chung 2nite!

Drives: 11' 2SS BLK W/CMG RALLIES
Send a message via AIM to Holeshot82nd Send a message via Yahoo to Holeshot82nd
I wonder if there are any special regs or forms you have to complete before you can drive a l/h drive car on a r/h road?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
it will be a pain driving on tiny england roads in a camaro(visibility isnt top) and with the steering on the wrong side..

IMO dont do it.. go for something that suits the tight .. narrow.. english roads..

trust me i have driven there... depending on the size of town.. you might end up parking your camaro in a garage and never using it and walk instead..
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i would get something cheap to drive.i understand gas is like $10.00 a gal. over there.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot82nd View Post
I wonder if there are any special regs or forms you have to complete before you can drive a l/h drive car on a r/h road?
You will need to have an SVA test done if you are importing the car to UK, but if you are visiting then no.

Quote:
it will be a pain driving on tiny england roads in a camaro(visibility isnt top) and with the steering on the wrong side..

IMO dont do it.. go for something that suits the tight .. narrow.. english roads..

trust me i have driven there... depending on the size of town.. you might end up parking your camaro in a garage and never using it and walk instead..
No offence, but what a crock of shit, the roads are not that small.....and the Camaro is narrower than an articulated lorry-which get everywhere in UK!

Quote:
i would get something cheap to drive.i understand gas is like $10.00 a gal. over there.
Thats a fact!
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Jakpot
Semper Fidelis

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, #63227
I was stationed there (Alconbury, about 1 hour away) in 1995-1998 and had a full-size '93 Ford Bronco shipped over. I drove it everywhere and had no problems, even on the back roads. So you won't have a problem with your Camaro being too big at all. I had a regular vehicle inspection done, and the only changes they had to make was adding a third tail light (which you will already have) and aiming my headlights to the other side (which you may or may not need to have done). Granted, it's been a long time, but I don't think you will have a problem. Your sponsor for your new duty station should be able to get you in touch with proper authorities to double-check before you PCS. Driving on the other side of the road will take some getting used to, but in a couple of weeks you won't even have to think about it anymore.

BTW... I had people stopping me in traffic to compliment me on my Bronco, asking if I would be willing to sell it. I can only imagine the kind of attention you are going to get over there with a 2010 Camaro. Go for it!!! And may God bless your continued service to our Country. Thanks for all you do, friend.
2LT RS, Silver Ice Metallic, Black Stripes, Black Leather
#63227, Born on 3 Nov 2009
Jakpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Jakpot
Semper Fidelis

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, #63227
One more thing... you'll be able to buy gas on base that will be tons cheaper than what the Brits pay out in town. It'll be a little higher than here in the states (a quarter or so per gallon), but much cheaper than out in town. You can even buy gas "tickets" that you can use out in town that will make it cheaper for you when you are on long trips (Scotland, Wales?). Don't worry about the gas prices.
2LT RS, Silver Ice Metallic, Black Stripes, Black Leather
#63227, Born on 3 Nov 2009
Jakpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
rustybh1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
This might be too late, But I've been looking into taking my 2ss home when I move back to England next year.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10014623
rustybh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Albion

Drives: IOM 1ss
Do it.You will have a car that will be rarer than a Lamborghini!
Albion is offline   Reply With Quote