Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Are Aftermarket Exhaust No Good.....?

Can someone with the tooling and facility please do an experiment ......maybe it is done already, can someone point me to it but not the manufacturer's testing please!

Take a bone stock SS and give it a full Dyno tune ... get the numbers!

Replace the OEM exhaust with a Corsa or Borla Catback and do a full Dyno tune and get the numbers ! By the way, I hear that the OEM SS exhaust is Borla goods!!

I would be interested as well as others in knowing the results because there is a post that states fairly strongly that the aftermarket exhausts are all NFG! I would definately help to fund this if a soul with the facility takes it on ! We could set up a sticky to get enough donations to do it. I can't help wonder if a number of the custom shops may be interested in funding it fully to save their own grace because they after all are very heavily advertising these systems as pereformance improvers.

I can tell you that the addition of my CORSA Sport cat back system has given me the sound and look that I was looking for! I mean lets face it that that the measily maybe 15 to 20 ponies it added was "not" the reasoon I put it underneath my Blue Baby!!!
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500

Last edited by Riderover40; 04-30-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderover40 View Post
I can tell you that the addition of my CORSA Sport cat back system has given me the sound and look that I was looking for! I mean lets face it that that the measily maybe 15 to 20 ponies it added was "not" the reasoon I put it underneath my Blue Baby!!!
There are plenty of people that have dyno'd their car before and after a exhaust swap. There just isn't enough restriction in the OEM catback to gain that much HP. In order to get HP from a aftermarket exhaust, you have to get rid of the restriction in the OEM one. What part of the OEM catback is a restriction? You have 2.5in tubing. Yes it's pressbent but there aren't BIG bends. The H-pipe is the place where HP is made and that's swapping to a X-pipe. The muffler is the usualy culprit but the OEM ones are straight thru. You have maybe 10whp to be made from a catback and that's pushing it. If you want real gains you have to go LT's and highflow cats or swap out the OEM cats for highflow ones.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
danraz98

Drives: My Two Feet
Yeah stock exhust flows prettly damn good the main reason for upgrading it is for a different sound. As stated above you want power get LT headers and you can leave the stock exhust on with it. A few LT headers won't hook up to the stock exhust like stainless works and they just recently are making headers that work with the factory exhust but other than that your good.
danraz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
danraz98

Yeah the main reason for exhust upgrades are for the sound. And I believe there are a few companies that make LT headers that do not hook up to the factory exhust in which case you would have to thiers but for the most part you can get aftermarket LTs and leave the factory exhust and you won't be really loosing anything. But as stated above LTs are the way to go for power gains
Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
danraz98

Ok wow my bad I hate computers at first it said my first post did not go through please ingor the double post and do not stone me lol.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Dave2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
<throwing stones>

:P

Richmond (Houston), TX
Dave2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
FastAzz

Drives: 300
Usually it varies, some cars have very restrictive factory exhausts. The Camaro does not seem to be as such.

People have gained like 5hp by deleting the mufflers and some from deleting cats.

Most people here get catbacks for sound. To me, best option is some DT LTs and a cam. That combo sounds so nice and actually adds more power.
FastAzz is offline   Reply With Quote