Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Going Cam Only (cam experts help!)

Ok, here is the situation. Hopefully some cam experts or people running cams can help.

I'm currently running a 3" Stainless Works cat-back, no other mods. I'd like to do a bigger cam, but I'm strongly leaning toward not doing LTs first for 4 reasons: 1) I'd like a nice bump in power; I think I'd be happy with 400+ whp. For now. I think. 2) I love the sound of the exhaust as is. To me it's perfect. It sounds like sex, but loud sex. I've heard my system with headers and adding LTs will make it TOO loud, even for me. 3) I live in a certain state with as many laws as there are pretty women, particularly emissions laws. 4) I confess: I love the sound of a cammed LS3.

Now, my tuner, whom I trust, can do and would do the cam swap and thinks the car would run great, but thinks LTs are the best bang for your buck mod for the SS. I agree, but it's not the path I'd like to go right now.

The question I'm hoping someone experienced can answer is: is there any disadvantage, other than leaving 30 or so hp on the table, if I just do a cam swap without changing to long tube headers? Will I have a car I'm happy with?

Thanks. Chris
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
LibLoather
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Ok, here is the situation. Hopefully some cam experts or people running cams can help.

I'm currently running a 3" Stainless Works cat-back, no other mods. I'd like to do a bigger cam, but I'm strongly leaning toward not doing LTs first for 4 reasons: 1) I'd like a nice bump in power; I think I'd be happy with 400+ whp. For now. I think. 2) I love the sound of the exhaust as is. To me it's perfect. It sounds like sex, but loud sex. I've heard my system with headers and adding LTs will make it TOO loud, even for me. 3) I live in a certain state with as many laws as there are pretty women, particularly emissions laws. 4) I confess: I love the sound of a cammed LS3.

Now, my tuner, whom I trust, can do and would do the cam swap and thinks the car would run great, but thinks LTs are the best bang for your buck mod for the SS. I agree, but it's not the path I'd like to go right now.

The question I'm hoping someone experienced can answer is: is there any disadvantage, other than leaving 30 or so hp on the table, if I just do a cam swap without changing to long tube headers? Will I have a car I'm happy with?

Thanks. Chris
Depending on how agressive your new cam is, not having headers may defeat some/most of the gains the new cam provides. Increasing the internal ability of the engine to move air in/out is useless if external air intake and exhaust are restricted.

I would ask the cam manufacturer if headers are recommended for the cam(s) you're considering.
LibLoather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Dont worry about the Long Tubes being too loud at all!!

Heres a LS3, stock catback with a set of Doug Thorley Long Tubes on it.

WOOHOO! Now with your Catback it would def be deeper but I wouldn't worry about loud.

At all.
-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Ohh come on... You cannot tell me that a car getting almost 100hp extra with a cam and headers with be a lot lower without headers. Please correct me if im wrong but I can see maybe 10 to 20hp less but not much more then that. Yes headers helps the breathing, but because you do not have headers does not mean the breathing stops.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Dont worry about the Long Tubes being too loud at all!!

Heres a LS3, stock catback with a set of Doug Thorley Long Tubes on it.

WOOHOO! Now with your Catback it would def be deeper but I wouldn't worry about loud.

At all.
-Ivan
Too good of a deal for me to pass up Ivan! Check your PMs.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Quote:

Thanks. Chris
Here you go , I did just that , cam , cai , tune .
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80827
Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Quote:
Too good of a deal for me to pass up Ivan! Check your PMs.
Most excellent! Thank you for your business again and enjoy them!!!

Quote:
Ohh come on... You cannot tell me that a car getting almost 100hp extra with a cam and headers with be a lot lower without headers. Please correct me if im wrong but I can see maybe 10 to 20hp less but not much more then that. Yes headers helps the breathing, but because you do not have headers does not mean the breathing stops.
Is this a question for me??

Kinda lost on your statement here sir. Are you saying that factory manifolds are about 10 hp less than a set of Long Tube headers? Or that you don't think that a cam cannot attribute to a net gain of 100hp with headers??

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
If you are avoiding long tubes due to the emission nazis, I think you will run into the same problem with your cam swap. For most cams, you will want to get a tune which is certainly not emissions legal. Even if you don't tune it the extra duration will probably cause you to fail the test. I must admit I don't know whether they will check for tuning on your ECM during your annual inspection though.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote