Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #18
n!ght r!der
That Guy
 
n!ght r!der's Avatar
 
Drives: really good
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 858
Guys, guys there's no need to keep beating a dead horse.

OP Just get the gt500, if thats what you want then get it.. simple as that.

I don't own a gt500.. so I couldn't back this up, but I heard the stock tires suck.. just saying
n!ght r!der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
I don't have alot of time on my hands...that is why I detest you wasting peoples time with worthless threads such as this one...
I am all for helping when I can as are most of the members here..so they will waste their time unkowingly responding to the same questions you have asked over and over in multiple threads.

To anyone who cares...search the OPs previous threads before you waste your time giving him advice...
That's illogical. To save time, people can opt out of clicking on the thread. I fail to see what compels you to click on a thread that obviously annoys you. And by the way, you're the only one who consistently harasses me, so yeah it's just you on the whiney whiney horse. But nice try asking people to join you on your funny ride.

Despite how much you annoy me, do you see me going to your threads to harass you? No, because my time is too precious to waste and I respect your right to write whatever you wish. One wonders why you are incapable of managing your time as sensibly, or affording others the same courtesy for that matter.

Last edited by rez333; 05-05-2010 at 09:38 PM.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
ron10


 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LOUISVILLE,KY..
Posts: 7,544
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #21
wombatsauce
 
Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
the late engagement of the clutch and the handling: specifically placing the car precisely on the road. I'm not sure whether it was because of the visibility or the sheer width of the car or the suspension.
In my humble opinion, these comments are pretty silly and speaks of someone who needs lots more driving experience. In addition, it sounds like you do not want a Camaro. I daily drive my '10 M6 SS up/down CA Highway 1 and the car is flat out amazing. It does exactly what I want it to, and corners brilliantly. It is a BIG car, but that has no real meaning for me as I have never had an issue on any of the twisty backroads - except people in smaller and/or "faster" cars holding me up. It's quite easy and comfortable to guide this car through these roads at the speed limit.

Today I drove my Classic Mini which is obviously quite a bit smaller than the Camaro. A few days ago I drove my Impreza. I've had lots of experience on these roads in many, many cars and I've zero complaints on the Camaro.

As far as test driving the car or whatever, I refused to test drive it until they removed the markup. I was finally poised to buy a new daily driver and took one last look at the new Camaros on the way to test drive my choice, a 2010 VW GTI. I bought the Camaro and never set foot on the VW car lot. I moved the Camaro about 10 feet by the time I decided I wanted it. I never want to sell it. My suggestion to you is to find a car that you feel THIS WAY about, and then buy it. Next, do some High Performance Driving Events with NASA or another group and really get to know your car and your driving abilities in a safe environment.

Personally the thought of feeling "lukewarm" after driving a new Camaro is quite alien - I don't understand it. Even going out to the car this morning to put the windshield shade in since it's sitting - I take a look around the interior and that's pretty exciting for me. I found the right car for ME. Hope you do too!!
wombatsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #22
04Ram2500Hemi

 
Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 1,302
I'd like to see exactly what the Z28 is going to have. Until Chevy releases all the data, all we can do is guess. That being said, I'm pretty darn happy with my 2SS!
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatsauce View Post
In my humble opinion, these comments are pretty silly and speaks of someone who needs lots more driving experience. In addition, it sounds like you do not want a Camaro. I daily drive my '10 M6 SS up/down CA Highway 1 and the car is flat out amazing. It does exactly what I want it to, and corners brilliantly. It is a BIG car, but that has no real meaning for me as I have never had an issue on any of the twisty backroads - except people in smaller and/or "faster" cars holding me up. It's quite easy and comfortable to guide this car through these roads at the speed limit.

Today I drove my Classic Mini which is obviously quite a bit smaller than the Camaro. A few days ago I drove my Impreza. I've had lots of experience on these roads in many, many cars and I've zero complaints on the Camaro.

As far as test driving the car or whatever, I refused to test drive it until they removed the markup. I was finally poised to buy a new daily driver and took one last look at the new Camaros on the way to test drive my choice, a 2010 VW GTI. I bought the Camaro and never set foot on the VW car lot. I moved the Camaro about 10 feet by the time I decided I wanted it. I never want to sell it. My suggestion to you is to find a car that you feel THIS WAY about, and then buy it. Next, do some High Performance Driving Events with NASA or another group and really get to know your car and your driving abilities in a safe environment.

Personally the thought of feeling "lukewarm" after driving a new Camaro is quite alien - I don't understand it. Even going out to the car this morning to put the windshield shade in since it's sitting - I take a look around the interior and that's pretty exciting for me. I found the right car for ME. Hope you do too!!
While I can feel your passion through the computer screen, please be careful with your suggestive comments (specifically regarding the driving experience).

Thanks
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatsauce View Post
In my humble opinion, these comments are pretty silly and speaks of someone who needs lots more driving experience. In addition, it sounds like you do not want a Camaro.
The every single professional reviewer needs more driving experience by your standards because my feelings mirror theirs. Here is an example (2009):


Quote:
"lively feel"
"feels lighter"
"almost like a race car around turns"

That's on the 2010, and has been the consistent universal feeling amongst professional reviewers. Here's the updated review for 2010:


Quote:
"light nimble chassis"

Here's another one:



Quote:
"feels poised and precise all the way to the limit"

None of these comments of "precise", "poised", "nimble", "feels lively" etc. are EVER given to the Camaro.

Now I'm not saying all this to put down the Camaro, but merely to rebuff your suggestions that I don't have driving experience as clearly your opinion contradicts professional reviewers with more objectivity and experience than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatsauce View Post
I daily drive my '10 M6 SS up/down CA Highway 1 and the car is flat out amazing. It does exactly what I want it to, and corners brilliantly. It is a BIG car, but that has no real meaning for me as I have never had an issue on any of the twisty backroads - except people in smaller and/or "faster" cars holding me up. It's quite easy and comfortable to guide this car through these roads at the speed limit.

Today I drove my Classic Mini which is obviously quite a bit smaller than the Camaro. A few days ago I drove my Impreza. I've had lots of experience on these roads in many, many cars and I've zero complaints on the Camaro.

As far as test driving the car or whatever, I refused to test drive it until they removed the markup. I was finally poised to buy a new daily driver and took one last look at the new Camaros on the way to test drive my choice, a 2010 VW GTI. I bought the Camaro and never set foot on the VW car lot. I moved the Camaro about 10 feet by the time I decided I wanted it. I never want to sell it. My suggestion to you is to find a car that you feel THIS WAY about, and then buy it. Next, do some High Performance Driving Events with NASA or another group and really get to know your car and your driving abilities in a safe environment.

Personally the thought of feeling "lukewarm" after driving a new Camaro is quite alien - I don't understand it. Even going out to the car this morning to put the windshield shade in since it's sitting - I take a look around the interior and that's pretty exciting for me. I found the right car for ME. Hope you do too!!
Now, I must say, I DID enjoy my testdrive of the Camaro SS. I didn't have anything really to complain about except for the late engagement of the clutch. Apparently though, a late engaging clutch is desirable for racing purposes as it allows you to do quick gear changes. Personally I don't like it because I will use it more for street than on the track.

However, I simply enjoyed the precise feeling of the handling of the Mustang more. I have recently narrowed my choices down to two cars now. First choice is the 2011 Shelby GT500, and second is the 2012 Camaro SS if finances don't pan out for some reason. I've decided against the Camaro Z/28 just because the timing doesn't allow me to test drive it and then make a decision in my time frame.

I think the lack of precision is a combination of the visibility and size of the Camaro. It is something that you can get used to over time, but if you're going for a test drive or you're a professional reviewer, you're going to be comparing it with other cars. So therefore, I'm not too concerned about my feelings of the Camaro's precision. I think it's a terrific car. At the GT500 price, I would choose the GT500 over the Z/28; but at the Mustang GT price, I would choose the Camaro SS.

Last edited by rez333; 05-11-2010 at 04:15 PM.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #25
HIGHOCTANE
 
HIGHOCTANE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
At the GT500 price, I would choose the GT500 over the Z/28

There is NO Production 5th Gen Z/28!!!!!!(all though I hope there is soon) There isn't even any solid info at this point...So yes that choice would be pretty easy lol. Lets see GT500 or a car that doesn't exsist...hmmm?



BTW..not stalking you..I am sub'd because I posted in the thread...about to fix that now.
__________________

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
The every single professional reviewer needs more driving experience by your standards because my feelings mirror theirs. Here is an example:


Quote:
"lively feel"
"feels lighter"
"almost like a race car around turns"

That's on the 2010, and has been the consistent universal feeling amongst professional reviewers. Here's another one:



Quote:
"feels poised and precise all the way to the limit"

None of these comments of "precise", "poised", "feels lively" etc. are EVER given to the Camaro.

Now I'm not saying all this to put down the Camaro, but merely to rebuff your suggestions that I don't have driving experience as clearly your opinion contradicts professional reviewers with more objectivity and experience than you.

Now, I must say, I DID enjoy my testdrive of the Camaro SS. I didn't have anything really to complain about except for the late engagement of the clutch. Apparently though, a late engaging clutch is desirable for racing purposes as it allows you to do quick gear changes. Personally I don't like it because I will use it more for street than on the track.

However, I simply enjoyed the precise feeling of the handling of the Mustang more. I have recently narrowed my choices down to two cars now. First choice is the 2011 Shelby GT500, and second is the 2012 Camaro SS if finances don't pan out for some reason. I've decided against the Camaro Z/28 just because the timing doesn't allow me to test drive it and then make a decision in my time frame.

I think the lack of precision is a combination of the visibility and size of the Camaro. It is something that you can get used to over time, but if you're going for a test drive or you're a professional reviewer, you're going to be comparing it with other cars. So therefore, I'm not too concerned about my feelings of the Camaro's precision. I think it's a terrific car. At the GT500 price, I would choose the GT500 over the Z/28; but at the Mustang GT price, I would choose the Camaro SS.
I have to say the clutch was a problem for me, too, lol It was easy enough after I killed it my first attempt at moving the car, but it just took a little familiarity, IMO.

As far as comparing SS to the GT500, I don't really consider that a fair match up, but since SS is all we have to do battle right now, then it is what it is. However, and I'm not sure how you feel about mod'ing, and since you haven't complained about the power in this post I'll address the handling, but it seems like you can save a boatload of $$$ on a 2SS, spend less than half the difference in price (between the two) on a complete chassis/suspension make over, and you'd hand a GT500 it's arse. I can't say anything about the view, because I think that's subjective and gives Camaro much of it's character, but you can change SS into a GT500 killer, so long as you don't have plans to mod' the GT500 significantly in the future. Stock-to-stock, it goes without saying the GT500 has a lot of room to grow over SS, but I don't recall your ideas about mod'ing.

It really sounds like you've already made your mind up, really. No one even knows what Z28 is going to be, but if you aren't planning on SS until '12 (your worst case senario) and are automatically discounting the chance of a '12 Z28, I'm not sure why you're posting here...
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #27
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 111,433
get the Camaro
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #28
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I have to say the clutch was a problem for me, too, lol It was easy enough after I killed it my first attempt at moving the car, but it just took a little familiarity, IMO.

As far as comparing SS to the GT500, I don't really consider that a fair match up, but since SS is all we have to do battle right now, then it is what it is. However, and I'm not sure how you feel about mod'ing, and since you haven't complained about the power in this post I'll address the handling, but it seems like you can save a boatload of $$$ on a 2SS, spend less than half the difference in price (between the two) on a complete chassis/suspension make over, and you'd hand a GT500 it's arse. I can't say anything about the view, because I think that's subjective and gives Camaro much of it's character, but you can change SS into a GT500 killer, so long as you don't have plans to mod' the GT500 significantly in the future. Stock-to-stock, it goes without saying the GT500 has a lot of room to grow over SS, but I don't recall your ideas about mod'ing.

It really sounds like you've already made your mind up, really. No one even knows what Z28 is going to be, but if you aren't planning on SS until '12 (your worst case senario) and are automatically discounting the chance of a '12 Z28, I'm not sure why you're posting here...
Why am I posting here? Because I like to talk. That is the point of forums, is it not? I honestly don't have any inclination of starting the types of numerous threads that start on these forums because I have absolutely no interest in them. Nevertheless - those people like to express themselves in that manner.

For me, the car choosing experience is a very important one. And therefore I have an inclination to share the thought processes going behind it. My post is the conclusion of my Z/28 journey, and as painful as some may have found it - it was more painful for my friends who have to live through this process every lunch time.

But you're right: modding the SS is a viable alternative.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #29
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,284
[QUOTE=HIGHOCTANE;1838297]There is NO Production 5th Gen Z/28!!!!!!(all though I hope there is soon) There isn't even any solid info at this point...So yes that choice would be pretty easy lol. Lets see GT500 or a car that doesn't exsist...hmmm?
/QUOTE]

True, but I'm depending on the numerous sources of rumors around it. I think there are enough of them that a 2011 release is highly likely - I'd say 70%. Put it this way: no-one has EVER refuted the rumors. No-one has ever said that the Z/28 will not be released (I'm talking about rumors since the beginning of 2010) in 2011. All the rumors say the same thing: 2011 release.

This is a great time to live in. The choice we have of inexpensive 400+ HP cars is just amazing. No matter what, we can't lose with whatever we choose.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #30
BigDan

 
Drives: bug
Join Date: May 2009
Location: nv
Posts: 1,319
If you can afford a 2011 GT500 then get it now. Your not going to find a better car for the money. You can can always get the Z if it proves to be better once it comes out. GT500's are going to hold their value alot better then the camaro if you decide to get a Z in a few years.

Even if the z/28 gets the CTS-V's LSA its still not forged and limited to low boost, unlike the GT500 that can take 19psi all day at 750+whp. The Z is also going to have a hard time beating the 2011 GT500 w/ SVT on the road course since it just shaved 3 seconds off their 2010 lap time at Laguna Secca.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #31
AlSuwaidi


 
AlSuwaidi's Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UAE - SHARJAH
Posts: 2,825
i bought the camaro blindfolded.. and i love it! passed my high expectations by a mile
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #32
trudawg660

 
Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,642
what is going to be the big difference between the 2ss and the Z28. some emblems and the engine. and if it gets the LSA it's just a LS3 with a supercharger and forged internals. most of the people with a SS has modded theirs and it will more than likely be faster than a Z28 anyway. people are going to more than likely pay way more just for the legendary name. just my 2 cents
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #33
QBert
Traction Control Hater
 
QBert's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 SS and 2010 SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 207
Had an 08 GT500 they aren't all that. Bought the Camaro...............have since sold the GT500. The better car won.
__________________
Stay Sideways
QBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
If you can afford a 2011 GT500 then get it now. Your not going to find a better car for the money. You can can always get the Z if it proves to be better once it comes out. GT500's are going to hold their value alot better then the camaro if you decide to get a Z in a few years.

Even if the z/28 gets the CTS-V's LSA its still not forged and limited to low boost, unlike the GT500 that can take 19psi all day at 750+whp. The Z is also going to have a hard time beating the 2011 GT500 w/ SVT on the road course since it just shaved 3 seconds off their 2010 lap time at Laguna Secca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
what is going to be the big difference between the 2ss and the Z28. some emblems and the engine. and if it gets the LSA it's just a LS3 with a supercharger and forged internals. most of the people with a SS has modded theirs and it will more than likely be faster than a Z28 anyway. people are going to more than likely pay way more just for the legendary name. just my 2 cents
Look at the Sticky for details on LSA. You may be simplifying what you actually mean, however spreading inaccuracies is not going to help misconceptions about this engine. I'm not even going to try to argue that it has the potential the GT500 has, however, there are features LSA has that makes it better for FI than what LS3 comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBert View Post
Had an 08 GT500 they aren't all that. Bought the Camaro...............have since sold the GT500. The better car won.
Why? In all seriousness? It'd be a no-brainer for me (because I'm simply a Camaro-guy) but what was it for you, out of curiosity?

Thanks
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM: Arguments for a Spring 2011 Z/28 release! sen10l Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 25 04-10-2011 02:39 PM
PWA "The Lounge" DGthe3 Off-topic Discussions 143773 11-06-2010 12:00 PM
Al Oppenheiser on Z/28..... ShnOmac Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 126 04-29-2010 04:26 AM
OK, I need Z/28 Therapy PLEASE HELP!!! Fandango Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 15 02-27-2010 02:00 PM
2011 Z/28 Camaro "Reality" IROCZJEFF 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 55 09-16-2008 01:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.