Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
cfCamaro
 
cfCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 GMC Sierra
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 9
New Here - Upcoming Z28 Question...

First post! Looking for a Camaro Historian's opinion here.

If I remember correctly, the Z28 was a lighter, tighter and more nimble car the the SS back in the late 60's. The Z28 had around 305 ci and the SS topped out at 396 ci.

Anyway, if GM was to repeat history as they have with the 5th Gen, does anyone think that the new Z28 would be a supercharged or even twin-turbo-ed V6 with a gross vehicle weight thats 100-200 lbs. less then the current SS Camaro?

Just wondering what your thoughts are...
__________________
CURRENT RIDE:
'69 Buick GS Convertible
FUTURE RIDE:
'11 or '12 Camaro
- www.ownster.com
cfCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,285
Yes, but losing weight isn't going to happen. It is very expensive to lose weight. It's much cheaper to stack on a supercharger to compensate for the weight.

Case in point: the CTS-V. 4250lbs, and you would think that a premium sports car would have better and lighter materials, as opposed to a budget sports car like the Camaro.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,320
First, welcome to the site!

Second, we have an entire Z28 section just for this. (thread moved)

Third, you can pretty much bet it's going to be the LSA in the new Z28. As for weight, I don't know about that. You are talking track car here. Suspension upgrades galore. Shaving off weight? Have no idea how they will get that done. Of course, all of this is speculation...

Please feel free to read up on the many threads covering the topic and join on in!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
cfCamaro
 
cfCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 GMC Sierra
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 9
TAG UR IT...
The LSA is the 550HP or so beast that's in the Caddy, correct?
__________________
CURRENT RIDE:
'69 Buick GS Convertible
FUTURE RIDE:
'11 or '12 Camaro
- www.ownster.com
cfCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,320
Yes. CTS-V. However, I would bet $$ we are looking at ^^^ than 550. JUST a guess.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
cfCamaro
 
cfCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 GMC Sierra
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 9
Yeah... no Camaro in stock form could ever have more HP than the $75K Caddy. That goes back to old GMs mandate that no car could ever have more horsepower that a Vette... though a few all aluminum block Camaros did in the late 60's.
__________________
CURRENT RIDE:
'69 Buick GS Convertible
FUTURE RIDE:
'11 or '12 Camaro
- www.ownster.com
cfCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
The CTS-V isn't a Vette though....
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
brandotron
I am the internets.
 
brandotron's Avatar
 
Drives: dangerously
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 12,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfCamaro View Post
Yeah... no Camaro in stock form could ever have more HP than the $75K Caddy. That goes back to old GMs mandate that no car could ever have more horsepower that a Vette... though a few all aluminum block Camaros did in the late 60's.
I disagree. A major part of that $75k is the luxury interior, plush ride, and upscale options. I don't see a reason to cap the Z28's horsepower based on the CTS-V--they're two different animals.
__________________
brandotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
I disagree. A major part of that $75k is the luxury interior, plush ride, and upscale options. I don't see a reason to cap the Z28's horsepower based on the CTS-V--they're two different animals.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Mr. Brownstone
 
Mr. Brownstone's Avatar
 
Drives: "SINISTER"
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: KnoxVegas, TN
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfCamaro View Post
First post! Looking for a Camaro Historian's opinion here.

If I remember correctly, the Z28 was a lighter, tighter and more nimble car the the SS back in the late 60's. The Z28 had around 305 ci and the SS topped out at 396 ci.

Anyway, if GM was to repeat history as they have with the 5th Gen, does anyone think that the new Z28 would be a supercharged or even twin-turbo-ed V6 with a gross vehicle weight thats 100-200 lbs. less then the current SS Camaro?

Just wondering what your thoughts are...
You are correct Sir. In 1967 GM released the Z28 as a high revving, quick, nimble little road racer for Trans Am series. However, to meet Standards they released it with 302 CID motor. If I remember correctly nothing over a 305 CID was allowed so they destroked a 327 with 283 crank to make the little 302. The Z28 was also equipped with close ratio steering.

Yes, the 396 and 427 Camaros were the go straight heavy hitting monsters that were Not really that nimble and were much heavier due to more CID.
__________________
"SINISTER" Born Halloween.. She is One Evil Bitch!!!
G6x3 Camshaft...4:10 Gear, UD Pulley, RotoFab CAI, Stainless Works Long Tubes, Pfadt Sport Plus Suspension Kit, Cincy Speed Custom tune!!
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
cfCamaro
 
cfCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 GMC Sierra
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
The CTS-V isn't a Vette though....
True... but (right or wrong) I believe the new pecking order with regards to max stock Horsepower will be the Corvette, then the Caddy and then the Camaro. I think there will always be a perception marketed to each car.

And, if true, I wonder how GM will balance the Z28's HP (and price) vs. the stock Corvette or even the Gran Sport or Z06. You could easily have the Camaro cannibalizing Corvette sales.

I eagerly await to see the specs and the pricing of the Z28!
__________________
CURRENT RIDE:
'69 Buick GS Convertible
FUTURE RIDE:
'11 or '12 Camaro
- www.ownster.com
cfCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon
 
AZCamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 17,743
I think the Camaro has already taken Corvette sales.
It's not easy getting weight out of a car. The Corvette team has done a good job there. They could do some little things on the Z28 though. Lighter weight wheels. Different ,lighter weight performance seats.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,558
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Z/28 was a 302
shank0668 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfCamaro View Post
True... but (right or wrong) I believe the new pecking order with regards to max stock Horsepower will be the Corvette, then the Caddy and then the Camaro. I think there will always be a perception marketed to each car.

And, if true, I wonder how GM will balance the Z28's HP (and price) vs. the stock Corvette or even the Gran Sport or Z06. You could easily have the Camaro cannibalizing Corvette sales.

I eagerly await to see the specs and the pricing of the Z28!
I can't remember who, but somebody told us not to worry about the "pecking orders." Sorry I don't remember where I read it. Look for pricing to be in the 50k range and at least 550hp though. As for the weight I would gamble on upgraded sway bar set, firmer springs and struts, and maybe some aluminium control arms to compensate for the weight gained by the supercharger. Regardless, you can be it will lay the smack down on a CTS-V.

The C7 vette will be coming down the pipe soon and that should boost sales in that market. Also, a stock GT500 can't keep up with a Z06 so I don't expect a Z28 to either.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon
 
AZCamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 17,743
Oh i don't see them putting aluminum control arms on it.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #16
Coldpants
Nerdy one
 
Coldpants's Avatar
 
Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (elba), ct
Posts: 804
They could get rid of the power heated seats, power window delete, no sat radio and there have gotta be some pounds that can be taken out of the dash.
__________________
Dave McFly:
Modern cars are awash in “It-goes-to-11” ergonomics. No one asked for it. It’s just in your car because—like black mold or a carjacker with herpes—it can be.
SHORT FAT ROUND NINJA
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #17
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
Oh i don't see them putting aluminum control arms on it.
Maybe, maybe not but the OE pieces way a ton and it would be an easy place to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldpants View Post
They could get rid of the power heated seats, power window delete, no sat radio and there have gotta be some pounds that can be taken out of the dash.
Not as much as you might think.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #18
boxcar
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 75
If the newspaper was correct it costs $17,000 to upgrade to the LSA over the V-6

in the CTS.Seems kind of steep to me. Hope we don't take that kind hit with the Z-28
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
If the newspaper was correct it costs $17,000 to upgrade to the LSA over the V-6

in the CTS.Seems kind of steep to me. Hope we don't take that kind hit with the Z-28
31k(price of a base SS)+17k(your suggested number)= 48k

Seem reasonable to me........The CTS-V gets the 6L90 trans, LSA motor, upgraded brakes, stronger diff, nicer wheels, and exterior upgrades for that price.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please put XXX engine in Z28 radz28 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 187 11-05-2010 09:20 AM
Do you want the Z28? ChrisB Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 1616 09-04-2010 11:49 PM
[ NOT a poll ] What will the 'base' Z28 price be? rayainsw Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 56 09-27-2009 04:16 PM
Z28 - Please try and understand..... GTAHVIT Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 73 07-24-2008 12:30 PM
Gotta question bout my z28 lm1power Off-topic Discussions 1 09-15-2006 02:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.